Do you take your food back if it's not "tasty (Restaurants)...

i just go out the back to the kitchen and get the chef in a headlock then rub his nose in it

Your friend sounds like an annoying piece of shit.
Sending food back really disrupts the flow of a kitchen. Most decent cooks have everything coordinated time-wise, so when a plate comes back and the customer wants it modified, it destroys your timing because it becomes your number 1 priority. Not just for the customer, but usually for the server who is watching over you because they're scared of losing tip money.

When it comes to taste and seasoning, the problem is usually something engrained in you since you learn how to cook; unless you're at a fine dining establishment that sticks by it's product and dishes, over-seasoning something is a big fear. "They have salt and pepper on their table" is a very common phrase used by chefs teaching you how to cook something, and I used to disagree, but I've come around. The worst is when people send a fucking steak back and say "These vegetables aren't seasoned enough". Well, all I'm going to do is put salt and pepper on them, and meanwhile, this steak you've already eaten half of is getting cold and dry". 2 minutes later..."This steak is cold"

For me, when it comes to cooking volume, the taste is a very important component, but the timing and heat is my number 1 priority. If you think it's bland, I can fix that, and better yet YOU can fix that, at your table, all by yourself. Most people slather their shit in ketchup, mustard, AI anyway.

But the heat and timing are out of your hands.

Now, if food is sent back due to an error on my part, I have no qualms with it. On numerous occasions, I've stopped what I was doing, fixed the problem, and taken the food out myself to let the customer know it was my fault and that it had nothing to do with their server.

As others have said, if you order something and flat out don't like it, sending it back is kind of a dickbag move. A lot of the time, even if it has nothing to do with the cook's abilities, we get shit for it and servers get upset with us and undermine us. I had someone say they didn't like the texture of their ribeye, even though it was cooked perfectly by their admission. "I just don't like the texture of the beef" This idiot server is like trying to lecture me about it and I just told him, "I didn't raise the fucking cow man. I cut him up and cook him. That's what i fucking do". Most servers are idiots though and something like that doesn't really cognate with them and then we're mad at each other for the rest of the day.

So yeah, sending food back for no real reason other than you made a poor choice is kind of a dickbag move.

If you tell your server you just don't like it in a respectful way, I'll come out and look at the menu with you and we'll figure something out for you, possibly at a discount, but asking for free food, basically money out of someone's pocket, because you made a poor choice is a dickish move.

Also to everyone saying "Unless you want body fluids in your food"

Do you know how fucking disgusting and disgraceful that is, also how quickly a restaurant would get shut down if someone got caught doing that? I've never had a piece of shit customer worth my job and employment to that level. I'm sure you all know cooks who claim they've done it, but I've worked with every kind of person and I don't know anyone who would or has done this.

No one is going to spit in your food. They're going to call you an idiot underneath their breath but no one is going to spit in your food.

No, I normally don't have the patience to wait for them to make me a new meal and I don't expect culinary greatness from most restaurants. I'd typically only send it back if there was something wrong with it or if it wasn't what I'd ordered; If I was at a fancy restaurant then I might be a bit more picky.

So you don't do it out of fear?

I'd say more like pragmatism.

Taste is so subjective that's its unreasonable to expect everything to be dialed in perfectly for you. Unless its blatantly wrong as others have said you should suck it up IMO.

I'd say more like pragmatism.

Taste is so subjective that's its unreasonable to expect everything to be dialed in perfectly for you. Unless its blatantly wrong as others have said you should suck it up IMO.

Exactly. Do you know how many times I've taken care with a steak and then seen it slathered in A1 just on the principle that 70% of people love A1?

We live in a Ketchup/Ranch/A1 world. People like shitty sauce.

Absolutely not. I don't send shit back. I can't imagine how bad things would need to be to override my hunger, impatience, and fear of getting food fucked with.

If i order something and don't like how it tastes...looks like i fucked up. Better luck next time.

Would be better to know what he ordered and why he sent it back. Did they ask how the dish was and offer to take in back or did he demand they take it back and reorder something else?

Regardless, your friend, as previously mentioned, sounds like a smug little ass. Most people I know in the service industry give other folks in the service industry the benefit of the doubt and aren't pain to them. They know it can be a crappy, low-paying job and treat them accordingly.

If the tables were turned would his hotel chain keep switching rooms every time a guest complained that the room didn't meet their standards? Hell, if I stay at Best Western (the hotel equivalent) I'm happy if the coffee's warm in the morning.

If he wants a perfect meal then he needs to pay for it. Restaurant should have just comped his meal and told him to move along.

Absolutely not. I don't send shit back. I can't imagine how bad things would need to be to override my hunger, impatience, and fear of getting food fucked with.

If i order something and don't like how it tastes...looks like i fucked up. Better luck next time.

This is the most irrational fear you white kids have for no reason lol
I promise this never happens and if it does...you sound poor.

What's irrational is people thinking their food isn't fucked with anyway. Not intentionally, but some people don't have a sense for hygiene and some of those people work in a kitchen. Guaranteed we've all eaten someone elses poo.

What's irrational is people thinking their food isn't fucked with anyway. Not intentionally, but some people don't have a sense for hygiene and some of those people work in a kitchen. Guaranteed we've all eaten someone elses poo.

Which is why it's ridiculous how many of you have scarfed down poo-burgers and not died, yet you're afraid some teenager is going to spit in your soup for having to microwave it.

And I've seen the worst of the worst in the lack of hygiene department lol

I can't chance eating Mexican boogers.

I never fucked with food directly when i worked for restaurants, nor did anyone else, but i always prioritized customers based on how difficult they were. So if you're being a pain in the ass, most likely my tip was gonna suck, so i might as well focus on everyone else first.

When I'm a customer i want to have a good reputation, cause you get taken care of here and there. There are places i go to now that round down all my purchases. I've had bartenders charge me one beer for an entire night of drinking.

I can't chance eating Mexican boogers.

I never fucked with food directly when i worked for restaurants, nor did anyone else, but i always prioritized customers based on how difficult they were. So if you're being a pain in the ass, most likely my tip was gonna suck, so i might as well focus on everyone else first.

When I'm a customer i want to have a good reputation, cause you get taken care of here and there. There are places i go to now that round down all my purchases. I've had bartenders charge me one beer for an entire night of drinking.
Horrible attitude.

Au contraire, there are entire news stories dedicated to this. The media loves to play this up so the public thinks it's the norm not the exception.

Yeah, i could never think like that. I have like what I'm doing and take pride in it. I feel like shit whenever someone has a bad experience.

Yeah, i could never think like that. I have like what I'm doing and take pride in it. I feel like shit whenever someone has a bad experience.

Same here. But there's a difference between nitpicking, pain-in-the-ass customers looking for problems and one's that are your or your establishment's fault.

Like the contractor that told me a lady complained because her counters weren't fully painted on the bottom. You know, that section that is behind the doors and facing the floor. She literally had to get on her hands and knees and crain her neck under the counter to see if it was painted or not. That's extreme.

Are you a server or in the kitchen? Customers can be a fucking nightmare. They can treat you like complete shit and spit in your face come time to tip.

If i ever had pride serving/delivering, those fuckers beat it out of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back