Opinion Do You Support Free Speech? Then You Should Support Unions.

The Biden administration does want to see more unions. I read an article the other day that unionizing the military is even being discussed.

Course one of the downsides to the Democrats push is to eliminate gig jobs and independent workers. Will be interesting to see if Democrats gain much support with their idea.

Biden Labor Secretary Backs Uber/Lyft Ban

https://www.frontpagemag.com/point/...cretary-backs-uberlyft-ban-daniel-greenfield/

excerpt:

Not surprising.

Remember, House Democrats had already gotten on board with the push to eliminate the gig economy and shove everyone into a union. Even, and maybe especially, if it means wiping out millions of jobs.

And while you may not like the gig economy, these measures also eliminate freelancers. That would wreck a lot of family incomes, force even more working mothers out of the job market, and eliminate a whole range of occupations, including a big chunk of conservative journalism.

Just ask Californians.

It's one of those many issues that should have been played up in the 2020 election but unfortunately wasn't.

Is the Biden administration ready to put some executive muscle behind the push to wipe out independent workers?

Biden's Secretary of Labor says yes.

A lot of gig workers in the United States should be classified as “employees” who deserve work benefits, President Biden’s labor secretary said on Thursday, suggesting a shift in policy that is likely to raise costs for companies that depend on contractors such as Uber and Lyft.

That just means those companies go away. So does any part of the job market that depends on freelancers and independent contractors.

The Dems obviously prefer a dozen union members working a job that prices out most employers and customers to a thousand independents. The former put money in Democrat war chests and the latter don't......

Physical and mental health issues are booming not because jobs are harder, it’s because much of the western world has grown weak and pussified.
Well, back in the "good old days" when "men were men," union membership rates were much, much higher, too.

Unions are great in theory. In reality all they usually do is tear down the company by protecting unproductive workers that should have been fired years ago.

This ancient, right-wing, anti-union boilerplate talking point was delivered in impressively quick fashion. You could give a bot a run for its money.

This ancient, right-wing, anti-union boilerplate talking point was delivered in impressively quick fashion. You could give a bot a run for its money.

Its amazing how far these guys will go to lick their corporate masters' assholes. Yet these same dorks will be the first to cry about other countries "stealing" their jobs. Anyone who loves America should be pro-union.

Its amazing how far these guys will go to lick their corporate masters' assholes. Yet these same dorks will be the first to cry about other countries "stealing" their jobs. Anyone who loves America should be pro-union.

The incoherence is staggering. Worse, most of these same people will immediately start screaming bloody murder if there is any suggestion that police be de-unionized.

The reason my high school educated cop friend is retired in his early 50's with a close to six figure pension is a direct result of UNION power.

Unions are weaponised organizations used against companies.

Except I'm speaking from personal experience. Why don't you tell us all your personal experiences with labor unions so we can compare notes?

In my experience the biggest losers when it comes to unions, are non unionized workers. What many a hard working man wouldn't give to have a $30-40 an hour gig with benefits. Too bad they won't get a shot, because lazy mcgee's union rep has kept his position secure, even though he contributes zero to the company.

My problem with unions is how often they tend to represent the interests of the Democratic party rather than hard working Americans.

That's a failure of management to follow the process of terminating an unproductive employee. I managed union guys and was a union member prior to that. And this is a common misconceptions. I fired plenty of lazy dudes. You just have to follow the process. Coaching, improvement plan, feedback, warning, etc. Escalating to the point that they have to improve or be fired. It's a lengthy process that takes 3-4 months but it gives union employees a fair opportunity to fix the problem.

Unless you're talking about police unions. Police unions are the worst and give labor unions a bad name
Was waiting for the pro union unless police union response and was not disappointed. Police unions operate the exact same way as any other union. In your opinion an entire profession doesn’t deserve the same protections as everyone else because why? Departments that have shit leadership are the issue, not unions. There are plenty of departments around the country that are doing everything BLM and police activist groups are asking out of them in the name of “transparency and police accountability” and it still isn’t enough. Poor leadership combined with low hiring and training standards are an issue that no one wants to address.

Hate speech is speech they hate to hear.

We all know what is 'hate speech' to a leftist.. you can't debate trans competing against women in sports etc

Meanwhile if you're a fat black lady and scream how much you hate whites, they'll be in awe and applaud you.

The cuckoldry.

Was waiting for the pro union unless police union response and was not disappointed. Police unions operate the exact same way as any other union. In your opinion an entire profession doesn’t deserve the same protections as everyone else because why? Departments that have shit leadership are the issue, not unions. There are plenty of departments around the country that are doing everything BLM and police activist groups are asking out of them in the name of “transparency and police accountability” and it still isn’t enough. Poor leadership combined with low hiring and training standards are an issue that no one wants to address.
Police unions are shit because they do the whole "protecting shit employees" thing way more than any other union. Police are also not working in a for-profit corporation, police are traditionally used to bust labor unions, police unions are to blame for a lot of the shit training police receive that makes them think everyone is a murderous criminal, police unions take my taxpayer money, police unions don't answer to tax payers, police unions literally blackmail politicians regularly, police unions have done nothing to improve the lives of labor. Do you need more? This is just off the top of my head why police unions are absolute shit.

Police unions are shit because they do the whole "protecting shit employees" thing way more than any other union. Police are also not working in a for-profit corporation, police are traditionally used to bust labor unions, police unions are to blame for a lot of the shit training police receive that makes them think everyone is a murderous criminal, police unions take my taxpayer money, police unions don't answer to tax payers, police unions literally blackmail politicians regularly, police unions have done nothing to improve the lives of labor. Do you need more? This is just off the top of my head why police unions are absolute shit.
What you’re referring to is called “release time”. Do you object against public schools also using release time? Police unions are not to blame for “shit training”. In reality, shit funding is to blame for poor training. I agree, refunding the police and bringing training standards to federally mandated levels they’ve never been would be incredibly beneficial to officers as well as the communities they serve. The only question is, will states work with the federal government to make this happen?

Officers do not receive training that makes them believe everyone is a murderous criminal. While all departments are not created equal, every major department trains officers on use of force, crisis intervention, de-escalation, and requires officers to be trained and certified to carry less than lethal equipment. In addition to that, all officers from major metropolitan departments are required to go to annual inherit bias training and other training that is designed to help scale back and explain certain experiences from the other perspective we don’t always see. Police unions blackmail politicians? Please post some sources. Our police union which is considered to be one of the largest in the country hasn’t been able to even get a contract for almost 10 years so spare me how powerful they are. CFD and CPS have had multiple contracts and other beneficial additions to their contracts during that time. They must have insane dirt on Rahm and Lori by your logic.

If you want to have a constructive conversation please inform yourself and stop speaking generally.

Lmao @ this shit. Simp derives from black people as most of the new slang does.

I'm trill working the wheel, a pimp, not a simp
Keep the dope fiends higher than the Goodyear Blimp
We eat so many shrimp, I got iodine poisoning
Fuck ****** make me sick with all that pinching and bargaining

Too Short was throwing around the term in the 90s

The incoherence is staggering. Worse, most of these same people will immediately start screaming bloody murder if there is any suggestion that police be de-unionized.

The reason my high school educated cop friend is retired in his early 50's with a close to six figure pension is a direct result of UNION power.
I was raised to support unions. Every single brother I have is/was a union member. My parents have companies that only hire minority union workers. I believe that workers should be protected from asshole employers who only care about maximizing profit margins and could care less about the employees who make that possible. I agree with you that it’s odd people are against unions and than support police unions. That should be a universal principle if they truly felt that way.

As a libertarian, I support free speech and unions.

Unions certainly aren't perfect though. Anytime government meddles in private union matters, it just becomes another racket.... As we've seen happen in Chicago many times.

What you’re referring to is called “release time”. Do you object against public schools also using release time? Police unions are not to blame for “shit training”. In reality, shit funding is to blame for poor training. I agree, refunding the police and bringing training standards to federally mandated levels they’ve never been would be incredibly beneficial to officers as well as the communities they serve. The only question is, will states work with the federal government to make this happen?

Officers do not receive training that makes them believe everyone is a murderous criminal. While all departments are not created equal, every major department trains officers on use of force, crisis intervention, de-escalation, and requires officers to be trained and certified to carry less than lethal equipment. In addition to that, all officers from major metropolitan departments are required to go to annual inherit bias training and other training that is designed to help scale back and explain certain experiences from the other perspective we don’t always see. Police unions blackmail politicians? Please post some sources. Our police union which is considered to be one of the largest in the country hasn’t been able to even get a contract for almost 10 years so spare me how powerful they are. CFD and CPS have had multiple contracts and other beneficial additions to their contracts during that time. They must have insane dirt on Rahm and Lori by your logic.

If you want to have a constructive conversation please inform yourself and stop speaking generally.

“Mayor DeBlasio, the members of the NYPD are declaring war on you,” read a tweet from the Sergeants Benevolent Association, which has a long history of posting inflammatory and sometimes extreme messages on Twitter. It added: “This isn’t over, Game on!”

That's totally normal...

A 2018 University of Oxford study of the hundred largest American cities found that the extent of protections in police contracts was directly and positively correlated with police violence and other abuses against citizens. A 2019 University of Chicago study found that extending collective-bargaining rights to Florida sheriffs’ deputies led to a forty per cent statewide increase in cases of violent misconduct—translating to nearly twelve additional such incidents annually.

Perfectly fine. Nothing to see here.

In the new documentary “Arresting Power,” which premiered at the Northwest Film Center in January, there is a 1981 film clip of Portland police commissioner Charles Jordan in heated dialogue with outraged citizens protesting a blatant act of racial harassment. A group of police officers had left four dead opossums at the door of the Burger Barn, a black-owned business on Northeast Union Avenue (now Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd). In this bit of news footage, the eloquent Jordan — Portland’s first African American to serve on City Council — fends off their demands that Chief Bruce Baker be fired, obviously believing that firing just the officers will fix the problem.

The very next day he and Chief Baker did fire Jim Galloway and Craig Ward, the authors of the prank and two of seven officers who carried it out.

The Portland Police Association (PPA) came back fighting: It organized a rally on behalf of Galloway and Ward, then hired them both on as union employees at the same pay they had on the force.

But this is something new, it couldn't possibly be going on for decades...

I think there was also literally a Nazi rally held in Portland in the 40's that the police union was a major supporter of. Having trouble finding sources and my memory is a bit foggy on the details. But that's not all! Wait there's more! There the story of Mark Kruger building public shrines to Nazis and bragging about roughing up female protesters and getting union and department protection for at least 10 years since knowing he was a Nazi.

Need more?

It is a pretty popular sentiment that people should be able to express whatever political opinions they want-- even if those opinions are offensive to some-- and they should not face repercussions in terms of threats to their employment and livelihood. They shouldn't be "cancelled" or "fired."

Great.

Only one problem: Our current system of "at will employment" allows employees to be fired at any time for any reason (or no reason at all).

If you support this system, then your position that "People should be able to voice their opinions all they want, but businesses should not be able to fire over it" is completely contradictory and untenable.

Only unions afford employees some measure of protection-- whether it be for free speech or any other issue.

Oh. And guess which party supports unions...

Biden throws support behind unions amid Alabama Amazon workers' landmark vote
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/bid...amid-alabama-amazon-workers/story?id=76181725

Biden to launch pro-union task force
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/26/biden-pro-union-task-force-484625

I strongly support at-will employment and the ability for corporations to terminate employees pretty much whenever they want. But I do agree that if people oppose that, they should be stronger proponents of unions.

Unions are pretty much the strongest, non-government, check on corporations running roughshod over the average American.

Back