Do you still think Loma tools Davis?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by StopDucking, Nov 1, 2020.

1. StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

Obviously, if Tank didn't have the balls to take on Loma when Loma had the belts, he certainly wouldn't do it now but what would happen if he did?

I still think Loma would box around Davis and make him look foolish. Loma isn't losing to anyone shorter than him.

2. UnicornNinjas Green Belt

I think Tank's speed and sharpness is always going to be a challenge. GRJ was faster but only in his hands and he never seemed to have that hair-trigger reflex you see in more explosive fighters.

Loma probably could've gotten the job done but it's by no means an easy fight. That said I've heard on a few occasions that Tank is a big fan which makes me suspect he'd be a bit star-struck if they ever fought.

RabbitPunch36 likes this.
  3. KillerIsBack V2 Black Belt

Teo called Loma a god multiple times in the build up and he’s a goodie two show family boy.
    Everybody that turned pro in the past decade is a Loma fan.
    Davis beats up his gf in public, doubt he’ll be too star struck to fight properly.
    Besides, after what Teo did, the aura of invincibility is completely gone now if there was any left after the Linares KD or the Pedraza black eye.
    Loma should move bk down this is getting ridiculous.

-Magua- likes this.
  4. UnicornNinjas Green Belt

Lopez wasn't calling Loma a god he was expressing frustration that people were making him out to be a "boxing god" and shitting on him by proxy, it was an assessment he clearly disagreed with. Lopez, to my knowledge, has also never imitated Loma's moves in training nor disagreed with his team and vouched for Loma's skills on camera when they were trying to put Tevin Farmer over him to sell a fight between the two.

At any rate I might've misinterpreted the premise of the thread because I was under the impression we were discussing a hypothetical fight between them at 130 and I stand by my assessment under those circumstances.

5. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

I’ve always doubted Davis’s ability to overcome the frustration.

After Saturday I wonder if Gervonta could just walk through Lomachenko’s punches to try to land the uppercut. It’s riskier against Loma than it is against LSC, IMO, but it certainly worked against LSC.

Destino2018, -Magua- and chiefwiggum like this.
  6. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

well that depends. lomachenko is getting up there in age, if they fight in two years, no.

if they fought next week, i'd be pretty confident lomachenko could get it done.

had they fought two years ago, i would've bet the house on loma making him quit on the stool.

davis was getting frustrated by LSC here. now i'm not taking anything from either fighter here, leo went out on his shield and gervonta showed why he's so dangerous, but if LSC can frustrate you with his boxing, you're going to be throwing a fucking tantrum with lomachenko.

7. svmVR2097 Brown Belt

If they fought next week Loma’s arm would still be in a sling

Kim Jong Un likes this.
  8. hillelslovak87 Titanium Belt

The Loma before surgeries who was pulling right angles all the time would give Gervonta Davis huge problems.

The current problem offers are far more solvable fight for Davis, given his power.

-Magua- likes this.
  9. ironfist05 Silver Belt

yeah absolutely. I don't think Tank has the footwork necessary to consistently find himself in range of Loma and I don't think he has the range fighting skills to win the fight on the outside. We'll see who loma fights next and how he looks but I think Loma should at least theoretically style on Tank.

10. KillerIsBack V2 Black Belt

"Retained WBA (Regular) lightweight title;
    Won WBA (Super) super featherweight title"

Man... combat sports is a joke these days...

Anyway, This was LSC's 5th weight class up.. no tune up too.. let that sink in.. Yes I'm downplaying the win.

ironfist05 likes this.
  11. cocksure Silver Belt

Yes I agree, I always thought when the going gets tough he'd punk out. The going got tough on saturday, he decided to bite down, which is a good sign.

12. KAZSoliloquy Banned Banned

lopez’s speed gave him real problems and tank is just as fast. at 130, i think davis hits too hard.

-Magua- likes this.
  13. KAZSoliloquy Banned Banned

lol lsc has been a 130 pounder for 5 years. that’s like saying pacquiao was too small for morales

14. Methodius White Belt

Not tool but I do think he will win. Tank is about the same size as Loma so he will abuse range better. Loma had no problems with similar sized or smaller fighters so far.

15. svmVR2097 Brown Belt

It was a great win for Tank. He made 130lbs, fair game to him, the only reason the secondary lightweight title was there was incase he missed weight. LSC looked bigger in the ring, which may be proof that he took training seriously being in Vegas with Floyd as Tank can balloon up between fights.

Tank could be hit and was frustrated at times and LSC combinations proved effective but LSC had to take shots to give them.

While I would favor Loma right now until proven otherwise, I still thought for moments he looked great against Lopez just not enough of them, Loma fighting on the inside is where he could do his best work vs Tank but where he is also at his most vulnerable.

Would love to see that fight. I don't think either gets outclassed even if a KO occurs.

16. JSN choo-CHOO!

I still think Tank would tool Loma because he will wait until he’s fifty to fight him.

17. deucesarewild Green Belt

From a physical and athletic standpoint, from the little I know, Tank has a size, youth, speed, and power advantage. Lomachenko, needs to stay busy and get to work much sooner. He was an underrated body puncher before the Teo fight. Lomachenko's workrate and dynamic attack is exhausting for his opponents. Teo's size and power made it easier for him to keep Loma between his shoulders. When an opponent let's Loma lead, they are screwed. Tank is a low output flat footed guy. Who knows. I think Teo beats Tank. Not sure if Loma can. 50/50. Will have to see a Loma tune up bout post surgery first.

18. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

I still favor Loma. I dont think Loma will fight to Tank’s strengths.

19. Seano Hands of bone

Loma has been exposed, I think. Not sure I'd favor him against any of the new guard.

20. mrsenor Black Belt

Exposed as an aging fighter