Do You Still Enjoy Action Movies

not as much.

I am not able to suspend belief without a decent reason.

The Matrix gave me a reason, as do super hero movies, as did the Borne movies, as to why a guy can do super natural things or walk into a hail of bullets and never die. When I see normal guys surviving over the top ridiculous situations I just wish they toned it down and made it more realistic.

remo-williams-o.gif

No. Generally for me the less action the better. I like a movie that sets things up and then when action scenes happen they carry some weight. Not a movie that has non stop mindless action.

As long as they don't have slow motion effects like in the movie "300".
Action is not slow. I consider slow motion effects in an action film to be a huge contradiction. Action is suppose to be fast. Watch a clip of "Man of Steel" as an example.

Yes. The last one I watched was Red 2, which I thought was pretty cool.

I am really looking forward to Expendables 3. I might even watch Machete Kills as well.

Yes. And I hope I do for the rest of my life.

Do you still enjoy summer fun action movie. I not really enjoy them any more. Every time the hero is in danger, you already know he is gonna get out of it and save the day. Movies like Die Hard,James Bond, Fast and Furious,etc. No matter what happens in the middles of the movie, you know its gonna work out in the end and the good guys win.

well when you use the word "STILL" in your title it makes it sound like at some point in time this wasnt the way the hero's journey was, and sorry to tell you but IT HAS ALWAYS been that way, so I really dont get what your point is... you just dont like movies I guess which is fine but your use of the word STILL doesnt make any sense, movies plots have always been the same. You just woke up wanting to bitch about something I guess

I pass up on a LOT of actions nowadays and have so for years. Fast and the Furious was good when it was a drag racing movie. Now its actions with ridiculous scenarios. I suppose thats fun to some people, but thats the action formula now.

Die Hard 4 was a perfect example of what NOT to do. Shooting a vehicle at an air craft? Flying a gunship? Making it pg-13? I hardly remember the movie, but it wasnt a Die Hard movie. It was "heres a current display of what action movies are like today."

But, the Die Hard 5 movie? The F&TF movies? White House down or whatever? Fuuuuuck that shit. Ive seen them already. Transformers 4? I already saw it.

Pacific Rim is different because it was directed by Del Toro and I grew up on Godzilla. I even gave Gamera some cool viewings. FUCK POWER RANGERS.

well when you use the word "STILL" in your title it makes it sound like at some point in time this wasnt the way the hero's journey was, and sorry to tell you but IT HAS ALWAYS been that way, so I really dont get what your point is... you just dont like movies I guess which is fine but your use of the word STILL doesnt make any sense, movies plots have always been the same. You just woke up wanting to bitch about something I guess

I use the word Still cause at one point I used to love the Hero Saves the Day Action movie but over the yrs they lost their appeal to me and mainly fail to keep my attention now. As posted in the thread, i am not the only one that doesn't find them enjoyable as I once did. Does that make sense.

Last edited:
Still love them, I don't go into a lot of them expecting for some amazing story line. I have on a few bigger name movies and felt let down by them but overall if you just go in with the idea of watching something fun/cool/whatever its all good.

There aren't many great action movies nowadays but I love them.

I don't know if I was in a particular good mood but I enjoyed Pacific Rim. It was the perfect amount of cheezy pep talks and archetypal characters that brought back memories to the 80's.

Yes. I'm not an avid movie goer so if I decide to watch one on the big screen it most likely would be an action flick or an epic/fantasy/adventure. Movies where I don't really have to digest everything that's said or seen.

Dramas, romcoms, etc. I'd watch later through online streaming or DVDs.

Some decent stuff from last few years:

Get the Gringo
Contraband
The Grey
Expendables 2
The Raid
Gangster Squad
Snitch
Last Stand
Safe

but it definitely ain't no 80's -early 90's and never will be again.

Not including all the comic book stuff.

I think the problem is, the leading men that are playing them, outside of Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson, there aren't any guys who you wouldn't think "I could kick that guy's ass".

You can't take Matt Damon seriously, you can't take Channing Tatum seriously, but you could take Schwarzenegger seriously, you could take Stallone seriously, Willis, Lundgren, Van Damme, it keeps going.

Dredd was fuarking awesome, most of them suck these days though.

The rehashed arnie and stallone movies are just painful to watch.

I still love them. I don't give a shit if I already know whats going to happen I love going on the ride.

I still love them. I don't give a shit if I already know whats going to happen I love going on the ride.

Yeah, Braveheart is the worst movie ever. I already knew William Wallace was going to die.

Yeah, Braveheart is the worst movie ever. I already knew William Wallace was going to die.

Braveheart isn't really a action flick. IMO. More of a history movie like Glory and The Alamo.

Back