Do you still consider Frankie to be the best LW?

If we are judging by logical rankings based on wins, I would say Frankie/Bendo. I scored the first fight Bendo, second fight Frankie. However, I think that Pettis is the most skilled, and I think he's going to make it clear in his next 2-3 fights.

Pettis is a stud and I look forward to his inevitable rematch with Bendo. But Guida exposed a weakness he has against boring wrestling lay n pray. Pettis has an active guard but Guida was able to neutralize it and put everybody to sleep for 15 minutes.

Saying that Bendo doesn't lay n pray and is almost incapable of having a boring fight. The rematch is a bit of a toss up but I'd be leaning towards Bendo just because his UFC run so far has been beastly.

I had Bendo winning the first and Frankie the second. I think people should cool down on how unfair it was for Frankie though. It's questionable that he jumped over Maynard for the title shot against Penn in the first place, most people thought he lost against Penn the first time which means the second fight against Penn, even though Frankie was dominant, probably shouldn't have happened. Then he drew with Maynard, beat him the third time, then lost fair and square against Bendo, but cried himself to a rematch due to the many times he had to do rematches even though the first time he didn't win a fight he never deserved over Maynard in the first place and the second time he was unable to get anything better then a draw.

So Edgar had gotten an insane amount of breaks including a second Bendo fight, that he lost a decision he probably should have won isn't "unfair" when you look at the big picture.

Pettis is a stud and I look forward to his inevitable rematch with Bendo. But Guida exposed a weakness he has against boring wrestling lay n pray. Pettis has an active guard but Guida was able to neutralize it and put everybody to sleep for 15 minutes.

Saying that Bendo doesn't lay n pray and is almost incapable of having a boring fight. The rematch is a bit of a toss up but I'd be leaning towards Bendo just because his UFC run so far has been beastly.

Yeah, Pettis only becomes more dangerous when you give him 5 rounds to work with though. I can only assume he's learned a lot from the Guida loss, and he's been training with Askren for a while now. I don't see him as 'unbeatable', but I think he's capable of beating anyone in the division.

Big Frankie fan here but benson has earned his dues. An argument can be made for Edgar but he went to a different weight class, so benson has the title.

I think Frankie won BOTH fights so in my mind he is still champ therefore the best lw.

No, I consider Benson Henderson the best lw

The best fighter in any weight class is the one with the belt one.
Everything else would just be pointless speculation.

well that's just false... JBJ was obviously the best light heavy before he won the belt.
Cain was pretty obviously the best Heavy before he fought Brock.

In my opinion Frankie lost the first fight with Bendo due to that upkick, other than that he would have won and I was 4th row for the 2nd fight and he won that one without a shadow of a doubt, so right now I would say he is #1. I have it like this:

1. Frankie Edgar
2. Benson Henderson
3. Anthony Pettis
4. Gilbert Melendez (I feel he has the potential to beat all 3 of these guys, but until he is officially in the UFC I can't rank him above the other 3)

I feel like any of these 4 guys could beat each other on any given night though.

well that's just false... JBJ was obviously the best light heavy before he won the belt.
Cain was pretty obviously the best Heavy before he fought Brock.

None of those were "obvious" at the time, if you believe so then you're making that up in hindsight. People had major doubts Cain would take Lesnar and many thought Jones was way too green for the title fight.

In my opinion Frankie lost the first fight with Bendo due to that upkick, other than that he would have won and I was 4th row for the 2nd fight and he won that one without a shadow of a doubt, so right now I would say he is #1. I have it like this:

1. Frankie Edgar
2. Benson Henderson
3. Anthony Pettis
4. Gilbert Melendez (I feel he has the potential to beat all 3 of these guys, but until he is officially in the UFC I can't rank him above the other 3)

I feel like any of these 4 guys could beat each other on any given night though.

The played-out argument that he only won because of the upkick is not only false but it is LAME. Bendo won 4/5 rounds, that upkick was only in one of them.

The best LW right now is Benson Henderson. The best of all time is BJ Penn. I think the best within the next year or so will be Gilbert Melendez.

nicely done...agreed on all points (with Gil being the least sure of the three opinions).

IMHO, when you look at body of work, quality of opposition, overall skill set, ability to finish, etc. it is pretty hard to argue that BJ isn't the GOAT LW.

Ben has the belt now. regardless of how close some fights may have been (even if you think one should have gone the other way), it is hard to say there is a better LW, until someone decisively beats him.

Gil is a solid fighter, but remains somewhat unproven, IMHO. He has a number of quality wins (and anyone who tools Aoki has me as a lifelong fan), but I'm still not sure his striking is up to par to rise to the top of the UFC, but we'll see soon enough.

I still want to see BJ back at 155, but ONLY if he ditches the fanboy family members and joins a top camp (preferably going back to his roots at Nova Uniao), because I genuinely believe he can reclaim the belt.

no?
Bendo proved over two fights he is better than Edgar, albeit only marginally.

I would rather watch Frankie than Bendo,and I think he convincingly beat Bendo in the second fight,and only marginally lost the first,so yes I think he's better.

The played-out argument that he only won because of the upkick is not only false but it is LAME. Bendo won 4/5 rounds, that upkick was only in one of them.

Well we will have to agree to disagree because I had Bendo losing that round before the upkick and winning the fight 3 rounds to 2, so yes that upkick won him the fight in my opinion. I respect the fact that you think Bendo won 4 out of 5 as did a couple of the judges if I recall correctly, but it just wasn't how I saw it.

None of those were "obvious" at the time, if you believe so then you're making that up in hindsight. People had major doubts Cain would take Lesnar and many thought Jones was way too green for the title fight.

I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt and i'm not making that up at all. Even if you don't believe that it doesn't detract from my point that the title holder is always the best. you have people who are the best that just haven't had a title shot yet.

I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt and i'm not making that up at all. Even if you don't believe that it doesn't detract from my point that the title holder is always the best. you have people who are the best that just haven't had a title shot yet.

I shared your opinion on both fighters before they got their title fights, but this was not the consensus among everyone, hence you can't say it's "obvious"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back