Do you sometimes "punish" people during sparring?

Last training session was pretty weird.

So we had this new guy. Or actually I dont know if he is new or not, I know that hes been training in different city for 3 months.

He is big muscular heavy metal guy but acts like funny. Calm and funny, very calm actually.

So we had sparring. I didn't know what the hell did he do. All the time he put his hand straight at me, like touching gloves position, but didn't do anything with it. And he smiled. I didn't know if he was weird as fuck or didn't he just know what to do.

So I started to hit him a few times heavier than I should in sparring. Because I thought he was making fun of me (=D im short guy, 170cm and 70kg). Few times he attacked with combos and actually landed nicely. But I hit him a lot more and heavier.

In the end my friend told me that I was going too hard with new guy. I was confused. I still dont know did he mock me or didn't he really know what to do. And yeah, he smiled all the time.

Just because he was smiling doesnt mean he was mocking you..I allways smile when im in the gym because im so fucking happy to be there. Im sure it was the case with him too.

I allways smile when im in the gym because im so fucking happy to be there.

Yep, I dont advocate getting high before workouts but im glad i did one time, because I just remember realizing how amazing it is to be a mixed martial artist sometimes, and now I always remember that moment whenever bad shit happens.

Gyms are chock full of total douches these days who think they are rock stars. However the beauty of stand-up is that it is so much more than just hitting as hard as you can. My version of "punishment" is just to just sit there in the pocket relaxed as they try to tag you. I'm a really good defender and barely am touched usually. Then they inevitably drop their hands at some point and I tag them just to prove a point as in, "you're not Ali yet pal. You better up your game a lot if you're going to walk around this gym like you own it." That is usually humiliating enough to have guys never come back..

Just because he was smiling doesnt mean he was mocking you..I allways smile when im in the gym because im so fucking happy to be there. Im sure it was the case with him too.

Maybe you are right. I just dont know, because he did NOT smiled at the training, not in any case... But just when I sparred against him. Well, I apologized anyway :) My bad

i thought a push kick to the face was considered a huge insult in mt

Only in Thailand as far as I know. It doesn't seem to take on the same meaning or insult anywhere else. Maybe Netherlands, but that's about it.

The solution is simple. Block. HARD. If you jam your elbow into them when they kick body... it will end that problem, once and for all. Same with your shin.

No need to punish people you are better than for dumbness. Let them beat themselves up on you. It is much, much more satisfying.

Back