Do you sometimes "punish" people during sparring?

Yesterday night I was sparring with a guy who is a beginner and I got told to go light on him so we settled no headshots as well; he threw a straight jab at my face. I decided to return it, but he wouldn't get it and we just kept on exchanging until he got angry and started throwing stop kicks right at my knee. I low kicked him hard once and he couldn't spar for the remainder of the session, I kinda did go for "punishment" this time.

I mean, I only think that...if you know a guy is more experienced than you are, why the fuck would you try to hurt them and expect them not to do so in return...they need some sort of reprimand if they decide to go full-force like that. The whole point of sparring-partners and sparring is to learn out of each other, not damage one another. They can go hit and damage whoever they want at a fight, not inside the gym.

Yesterday night I was sparring with a guy who is a beginner and I got told to go light on him so we settled no headshots as well; he threw a straight jab at my face. I decided to return it, but he wouldn't get it and we just kept on exchanging until he got angry and started throwing stop kicks right at my knee. I low kicked him hard once and he couldn't spar for the remainder of the session, I kinda did go for "punishment" this time.

I mean, I only think that...if you know a guy is more experienced than you are, why the fuck would you try to hurt them and expect them not to do so in return...they need some sort of reprimand if they decide to go full-force like that. The whole point of sparring-partners and sparring is to learn out of each other, not damage one another. They can go hit and damage whoever they want at a fight, not inside the gym.

So instead of stopping the sparring to calmly and gently explain his mistakes, and educate a beginner on proper sparring etiquette, you beat the shit out of him. You say the whole point of sparring partners is to learn, but he didn't learn anything from you... except that you're an asshole who likes to push people around when you know they're not a good enough fighter to handle it. So I guess there is a valuable lesson: you're a terrible sparring partner with an ego complex.

Have sparred on days where i was working somehting in particular against an oppnent who wasnt able to stop it and i am sure it looked as if i was punishing him. I mean on soe days i find it very helpful to say "today i am working on lots of jabbing" and find out that the guy you ar esparring against is a bit of a wild slugger, fights very open or is simply got t-rex arms and can't stop it. Usually i will not swicth up my approach as i hav already decided that that was my day to work that technique and because i figure its good for both of us.

However, i have been sparring with guys who take it too seriously and start throwing heavy punches. This is usually a result of them being new, very frustrated by something or simply as a result of something liek an accidental low blow r heavy shot they believe was on purpose. I usually try to talk to the guy, calm him down, tell him to relax, explain we re just sparring etc. If that doesnt work and he keeps comming hard i will either walk out or give it back a little bit. And have landed a hard shot to the head of a friend and when he got dissoriented stopped and sadi "listen i warned you"

andby the way i have been on the other end of this a cpl of times and it really does help you learn. I remember one time in particular i was having a little to much fun exploiting a big reach advantage against a sparring partner and was basically just throwing arm punches and landing the softest straights in the world smiling like a jackass. They stepped in and landed a very strong front kick that doubled me over and followed up with a hook to the head. lol i have never again acted so disrespectfully to a training parnter because of that.

andby the way i have been on the other end of this a cpl of times and it really does help you learn. I remember one time in particular i was having a little to much fun exploiting a big reach advantage against a sparring partner and was basically just throwing arm punches and landing the softest straights in the world smiling like a jackass. They stepped in and landed a very strong front kick that doubled me over and followed up with a hook to the head. lol i have never again acted so disrespectfully to a training parnter because of that.

Thats one way to learn a lesson!!!! Ouch!

So instead of stopping the sparring to calmly and gently explain his mistakes, and educate a beginner on proper sparring etiquette, you beat the shit out of him. You say the whole point of sparring partners is to learn, but he didn't learn anything from you... except that you're an asshole who likes to push people around when you know they're not a good enough fighter to handle it. So I guess there is a valuable lesson: you're a terrible sparring partner with an ego complex.

How is that wrong? IMO poster did the right thing. I find that most new guys can't break out of the gym complex without an ass whipping. By gym complex I mean that if you try to settle the pace through words, nothing changes, they go the same pace over and over again, thinking sparring is a place where you can go on a rampage on your opponent with no consequences. However, when challenged, they self-reflect on their actions and begin to slowly check themselves to avoid repeating the situation. So yes, that person did learn something.

Not usually, but if people are consistantly being dick head when sparring or trying to show off, I'll up the pace, out pace them and play with them to demoralise them and make them realise what they did was a mistake.

If they hit me too hard I give them 2 warnings as it is supposed to be friendly sparring (ie learning). After the 2nd time I say right, do that again and I'll return in kind.
Fairs fair then I think and they usually don't hit hard after I do.

i usually don't have problems with sparring partners, only once and it could've been solved with communication, which i did, but after he ran into my knee (stomach).

How is that wrong? IMO poster did the right thing. I find that most new guys can't break out of the gym complex without an ass whipping. By gym complex I mean that if you try to settle the pace through words, nothing changes, they go the same pace over and over again, thinking sparring is a place where you can go on a rampage on your opponent with no consequences. However, when challenged, they self-reflect on their actions and begin to slowly check themselves to avoid repeating the situation. So yes, that person did learn something.

BS. That's just justification for bullying people you know can't beat you. Especially if you don't even TRY to calmly explain their mistakes. If someone has a gym complex, and doesn't listen when you try to talk to them, then be an adult and go talk to your coach. Beating the crap out of someone who probably doesn't even know they're making mistakes doesn't teach them a lesson, except that if you stick around for a year or so you can get your jollies beating up on new guys.

May I ask why people think Front Kicks or push kicks to the face are bad, besides the reasons that the thai's don't like it? I think it's effective especially if an opponent is expecting you to kick low and drop thier hands.

No one should ever protect against a low kick by dropping their hands...it'll only be effective against someone inexperienced enough to allow for it to happen. It'll fail you as you move up against people who do know what they're doing.

Are you going to tell me that every beginner entering a gym does so with an attitude of "humility" and "lack of pride"? Because I've met quite a few douchebags who only show up once in a while to let off their steam against their sparring partners just because they feel like doing so (even after you've repeatedly told them about proper "sparring etiquette") and I'm pretty sure that, if you've spent some time inside a gym, you've come across some guys like that (even if you weren't the one sparring against them). If not, I suggest you quit throwing random conclusions about me based on a single post you've read and go spend some time at the gym so you understand what I'm talking about.
"you're an asshole who likes to push people around when you know they're not a good enough fighter to handle it. ...You're a terrible sparring partner with an ego complex."
No, you're just a fucking idiot. Don't judge me, stupid piece of shit.

Not usually, but if people are consistantly being dick head when sparring or trying to show off, I'll up the pace, out pace them and play with them to demoralise them and make them realise what they did was a mistake.

If they hit me too hard I give them 2 warnings as it is supposed to be friendly sparring (ie learning). After the 2nd time I say right, do that again and I'll return in kind.
Fairs fair then I think and they usually don't hit hard after I do.

That^

Thank you.

There is this one dude at my gym who insists he like getting punched. I don't take his head off or anything but I give him what he wants. Idk, strange guy.

Not really, unless the guy's really being an asshole. Sometimes if I'm sparring someone who's just on their bike the whole time and runs away, when I do catch up to them i'll hit em a little harder than normal, because that shit's frustrating.

However, there's this one guy at the gym who always goes wayyyyy to hard (even just during drilling), and he's the reason for my current knee injury. I swear, when I get back I'm def gonna hold chokes longer/ harder, crank his arms more, crossface the shit out of him, and try to take his head off while sparring. When I blew my MCL doing single leg drills with him, he didn't offer to help or anything, refused to give me a ride to urgent care until practice was over, etc. I was seriously thinking about how I could beat his ass with a bum knee

Are you going to tell me that every beginner entering a gym does so with an attitude of "humility" and "lack of pride"? Because I've met quite a few douchebags who only show up once in a while to let off their steam against their sparring partners just because they feel like doing so (even after you've repeatedly told them about proper "sparring etiquette") and I'm pretty sure that, if you've spent some time inside a gym, you've come across some guys like that (even if you weren't the one sparring against them). If not, I suggest you quit throwing random conclusions about me based on a single post you've read and go spend some time at the gym so you understand what I'm talking about. No, you're just a fucking idiot. Don't judge me, stupid piece of shit.

You're right, I shouldn't have used language like that and I apologize. And yes, there are plenty of douchebags out there. But I think that you're stooping to their level and taking the bully route rather than dealing with your problems in an adult fashion when you "punish" someone during sparring. In the instance you described, where was your humility? Where was your lack of pride? Someone went too hard on you, and rather than explaining his mistakes or talking to your coach about it, you hurt him. It doesn't even sound like you tried to tell him what he was doing wrong. And now, when he gets good, he's going to hurt the next dude that comes along, because that's the example that is being set for him. You say that sparring is supposed to teach people things, but so why didn't you teach him? Lead by example and be the bigger man. You know you could kick his ass, so why do you need to? What do you lose by just walking away, if you've already left your ego at the door?

I can't be the only one who enjoys getting in the ring with a mate
and belting the crap outta each other - mouthguards, 16 oz gloves etc.
It's very therapeutic.

If I ever turn up to work with battle scars I tell them the wife beat me up. lol

Would never go hard on someone who wasn't up for it though.

Not on purpose. Well once this college football player who outweighed me by 30-40lbs spaz rolled with everyone. He would grind his elbow into peoples faces if he couldnt break their guard and did slams and such.

Well he got me next and I purposely got him into a stand up position just so i could jump guard and sink in a really forceful guillotine. He only came back once more trying that same shit and got spanked by one of our really good purple belts.

BTW i have a lot of respect and love for football. Most guys who have played including myself have been very hard working and good sportsman. Its just once in a while you get a shithead that needs to be put in his place.

Last edited:
my offense is low power but my D is always 100% in case someone wants to "punish" me

Some rules transcend all sports. Respect your teammates in practice! In this case, if someone is breaking common sparring rules IE going 100% when its just sparring, a little punishment followed by a conversation after class usually works in my gym.

Hell, the alternative is you have to get punished by the trainers themselves..and none of us want that!

Back