Do you sometimes "punish" people during sparring?

The last time I opened my mouth to discuss something when sparring Devante punched me right in the jaw at the same moment LOL

SOOOO best to step back a couple steps before you decide to open one's mouth. :redface:

reminds of last week when this new guy (from another gym) joined up and was sparring. Nice technique but kinda repetitive and overly reliant on his speed. My turn , and things dont go so well for him. My jab and counter-leg kicks kept fucking up his rythme. After another one to the leg in the same spot , he stops says "Nice cut ki..." BAAM i popped him in the mouth with a particularly solid jab........u know the one where u feel your knuckle make contact all the way to your shoulder :icon_chee
Had to stop n tell him dont talk while sparring or at least back the fuck up before u do.

Sometimes if I get a particularly hard leg kick I'll throw them into the corner and unleash a flurry.

No, but sometimes I come home from a long hard day and slap my wife around a bit. She likes it tho

^ agree
Ppl should open their fucking mouths.
I have no problem saying "Go lighter"

But then how will you maintain your reputation as the toughest son of a bitch on the planet??? I mean, that's why we train, right? So we can impress the people at our gym with how badass we are?

What about the guys who do the same thing over and over no matter how many times they're told? Like the one dude who kept teeping my braced knee. Everyone knows I injured it, I make sure to tell them and he keeps blasting away at it. Some people have a classic bully mentality and simply need to be shut down so they don't try the same thing again

I had an instance sort of like that once. I was doing light sparring with a guy who was a LOT bigger than me and was a former pro boxer. He was hitting harder than I could handle (especially since I'd only been doing MT for a few months) and I asked him to go lighter. He said ok, but didn't seem to power down. I asked him again, he said ok, then a few second later hit me with a body shot that was WAY too hard. So I very politely said thank you, gave him the little bow we do when we finish sparring, and went and sat down until it was time to switch sparring partners. I've sparred with him since then with no problems. If I did have another problem with him, I'd talk to my coach about it. Trying to beat the shit out of someone for sparring too hard... that's just stooping to the bully mentality yourself, and I think it's counterproductive to getting them to stop. It just sends the message that the better fighter can do whatever they want. If they aren't listening to you, then just stop sparring with them.

^^^
Well put. It's hard sometimes when you have a dickhead bully in there, but you're right, might does not make right. Not in practice.

What I find particularly amusing is the bully who is all of a sudden very tired or needs to use the washroom when they're up against someone bigger/better.

c0r1nth14n;42613491]But then how will you maintain your reputation as the toughest son of a bitch on the planet??? I mean, that's why we train, right? So we can impress the people at our gym with how badass we are?

i know. Some ppl dont understand the fact that u dont get a medal for being the best in your gym. I sure as hell spar serious (not hard) when somebody new comes in (from another gym) but thats to get an idea of him.

I had an instance sort of like that once. I was doing light sparring with a guy who was a LOT bigger than me and was a former pro boxer. He was hitting harder than I could handle (especially since I'd only been doing MT for a few months) and I asked him to go lighter. He said ok, but didn't seem to power down. I asked him again, he said ok, then a few second later hit me with a body shot that was WAY too hard. So I very politely said thank you, gave him the little bow we do when we finish sparring, and went and sat down until it was time to switch sparring partners. I've sparred with him since then with no problems. If I did have another problem with him, I'd talk to my coach about it. Trying to beat the shit out of someone for sparring too hard... that's just stooping to the bully mentality yourself, and I think it's counterproductive to getting them to stop. It just sends the message that the better fighter can do whatever they want. If they aren't listening to you, then just stop sparring with them.

when i joined my current gym i had this short muscley fuck going hard on some fucking drill. Starts apologising saying he got carried away (its just drill work u dumbass) then does it again. Then in sparring starts coming behind a knee stomp ! This after i point to my knee in a brace n saying "Dont kick my knee cuz im recovering from an MCL tear"
Felt like smacking the shit outta him but decided to be the bigger man and told him to wait for the next guy.
Douche.
Now my knees all better n hes seen how i really move n what i can do , anytime i ask him lets spar he rolls the excuses ....got to go to work (yea in the morning) ...too tired (really?)....pulled this or that.
Twice a week 4 weeks in a row. I just laugh n smirk before he even answers cuz we both know he aint coming in.

Last training session was pretty weird.

So we had this new guy. Or actually I dont know if he is new or not, I know that hes been training in different city for 3 months.

He is big muscular heavy metal guy but acts like funny. Calm and funny, very calm actually.

So we had sparring. I didn't know what the hell did he do. All the time he put his hand straight at me, like touching gloves position, but didn't do anything with it. And he smiled. I didn't know if he was weird as fuck or didn't he just know what to do.

So I started to hit him a few times heavier than I should in sparring. Because I thought he was making fun of me (=D im short guy, 170cm and 70kg). Few times he attacked with combos and actually landed nicely. But I hit him a lot more and heavier.

In the end my friend told me that I was going too hard with new guy. I was confused. I still dont know did he mock me or didn't he really know what to do. And yeah, he smiled all the time.

I had an instance sort of like that once. I was doing light sparring with a guy who was a LOT bigger than me and was a former pro boxer. He was hitting harder than I could handle (especially since I'd only been doing MT for a few months) and I asked him to go lighter. He said ok, but didn't seem to power down. I asked him again, he said ok, then a few second later hit me with a body shot that was WAY too hard. So I very politely said thank you, gave him the little bow we do when we finish sparring, and went and sat down until it was time to switch sparring partners. .

Now today i was in that situation ! Im training to fight next month and so is this other guy my coach's training (he gets special attn , 1 on 1 pads in the afternoon etc).
So today in sparring he gets put in with me. A lil background info.....i fight at welter n my weights 153lbs (tall) this fucker's 200 lbs musceled up 6'4 (3-4" taller). This guy starts with a body kick ......HARD ! ok whatever . Does it again. Leg kick ...hard. Block it still pushes me back or drops me ccuz theres so much weight on my shin. Tell him "go lighter" ......same thing. Say it again next round ...go lighter ..im only 150lbs. My coach pipes up "well yeah but hes 'only' 185" ....yeah he fights at 185 , he most definitely is north of 200 right now (ive sparred LOTS of guys over the years n i know my weights) Even by that standard hes still 40lbs heavier.
"Counter him" ......how the fuck u want me to do that ? theres so much weight behind those strikes that im getting bent back (it was definitely around 80% power...not trying to kill me but not holding back either...like fight pace)
Next round this guys trying to knee me ! no pads either.....body and head ! luckily my guard is good. Still caught me on my hip n elbow n they are sore as hell.
2 more rounds of the same bs. Hard body kick....hard low kicks. Throwing the knees.
Afterwards my coach is telling me i have to train with this guy for the next month 6 days a fucking week !
I dunno about that. I didnt see the point sparring him at all. Hes taller,stronger,more powerfull. No point going in on him throwing a combo cuz his counter is so heavy. That i just lose the exchange. I have to watch that body/low kick so much that i cant do much offense. Cant counter....cuz the shots are so heavy. I sure as hell aint body or head kicking this guy cuz i know hes counter is gonna be a low kick which is going to fuck up my knee for sure. Shit i was falling down when i was blocking it. Even a low block sent my supporting leg back a few inches !
My coachs explanation is "Well outside of this State everybody hits real hard with lots of pressure"
yeah but theres a big difference between a 145lbs amateur hitting with a lot of pressure and a 200lbs guy throwing with a lot pressure. Plus if that guy has a strength advantage then i have a height advantage and it all equals out.
he's like well a height advantage is no good against an experienced fighter........what ? We're not talking a short pro vs a tall ammy. If that shorty knows how to come in then i know how to keep him out too. Plus , why dont we concentrate on the fight on hand which is against a 6'1" 145lbs SOUTHPAW !!!

I dont know man ....im pretty pissed. :mad:

Last training session was pretty weird.

So we had this new guy. Or actually I dont know if he is new or not, I know that hes been training in different city for 3 months.

He is big muscular heavy metal guy but acts like funny. Calm and funny, very calm actually.

So we had sparring. I didn't know what the hell did he do. All the time he put his hand straight at me, like touching gloves position, but didn't do anything with it. And he smiled. I didn't know if he was weird as fuck or didn't he just know what to do.

So I started to hit him a few times heavier than I should in sparring. Because I thought he was making fun of me (=D im short guy, 170cm and 70kg). Few times he attacked with combos and actually landed nicely. But I hit him a lot more and heavier.

In the end my friend told me that I was going too hard with new guy. I was confused. I still dont know did he mock me or didn't he really know what to do. And yeah, he smiled all the time.

I smile during sparring. Even if I'm getting my ass kicked. Not being a douche, I just do. I pissed someone off once in sparring because I yawned while sparring him (I work 8-9 hrs before MT). Sometimes the person's not trying to mock you, they're just weird. lol

There's actually an art to sparring IMHO. I've met far more terrible sparring partners than good ones. I was probably terrible at one point my self. Too many guys trying to KO guys in SPARRING for god's sake. Honestly when a guy is trying to KO me, I just relax even more and evade all their strikes or block as I act almost bored. Want to frustrate a guy? Just tag him once in a while as he's trying to beat you up and landing nothing. It's priceless. It's also a good way to prove a point without leading to mutual escalation...

I usually fight/train to forget about my problems. I train to wear myself out so that any anger or frustration is gone. I channel that energy into something positive instead of negative.

Traditional Thai style sparring is not really ever too hard, it's almost like a game of tag, risking too many bruises, injuries if you spar hard with kicks and knees. So if someone comes to the gym and tries to kick or punch someones head off during sparring, it's taken care of pretty quick.

Example:

If we want to hit hard and use all the weapons of Muay Thai, we'll do some padwork with a good holder who hits back, that will simulate a real thai fight more than sparring will, and you can hit 100%.

The only time we really crack eachother is during boxing-only sparring, that's when you really have to give eachother some knocks so you can get used to getting hit in the face and answering back while under pressure. Not as much head movement as traditional boxing, and we punch from our Muay Thai stance.

ex:

May I ask why people think Front Kicks or push kicks to the face are bad, besides the reasons that the thai's don't like it? I think it's effective especially if an opponent is expecting you to kick low and drop thier hands.

May I ask why people think Front Kicks or push kicks to the face are bad, besides the reasons that the thai's don't like it? I think it's effective especially if an opponent is expecting you to kick low and drop thier hands.

Aside from the Thai buddhist reasons, it's kinda nasty man...Really? you want the bottom of some dude's feet/toes on your lips during training/sparring? That would piss me off some.

I'm sure it's free game in a western kickboxing fight. I don't see why you couldn't do it in any fight, just remember that doing it in a Muay Thai fight in Thailand could get you some negative attention, then again it might not too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Punishing people in sparring is just another form of bullying if you know you can beat them.. so if you do it your just a big pussy deep down inside..if you want to go hard go hard against the top boys too there teach u a lesson in humility.
I rough'd up a guy once who was 1 or 2 weight divisions above me who used to give me a run for my money, just to let him know I was a level above him now, I was taken to the side after by a trainer and told off,and rightfully so, I didnt do it again.

Back