Do you sometimes "punish" people during sparring?

Kellogg's

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've had a couple of occurences when my opponent would try to do these really dumb moves like front kick me in the face, push-kicks to the knee or even this one dude who lifted me up and threw me down on the mat (during MT training).

Do you get the need to somehow pay them back? Like throw in a firm body punch or two low-kicks to the same spot ect?

I fuck their mom or girlfriends that weekend usually

:icon_lol: Done in one. You have your answer there, Kellogg's.

Not really.

If they hit me with a good shot I usually return the favor by using it back on them.

Not really.

If they hit me with a good shot I usually return the favor by using it back on them.

I'm not talking about a good shot. That's no problem. But just stupid shit like this one guy who got all angry and shit because I was peppering him with jabs and evading most of his attacks. He really tried to take my head off and had all these crazy facial expressions.

I'm not talking about a good shot. That's no problem. But just stupid shit like this one guy who got all angry and shit because I was peppering him with jabs and evading most of his attacks. He really tried to take my head off and had all these crazy facial expressions.

Well in that case I would start coming back at him harder, assuming I could remain in control and not get hurt myself.

I would say that throwing to the mat in MT is okay, since it is a legitimate move to train/practice. A push kick to the knee is absolutely out of line and you should point out to him that it could cause a serious injury. A front kick to the face is questionable. It would depend on how hard you guys have agreed to spar.

Barring the kick to the knee, I would give back as hard as you get. If he's a much better fighter, then you should tell him to lighten up, otherwise don't spar with him. But if he's a much better fighter he shouldn't be going so hard on you. If he's a weaker or similarly skilled fighter and doesn't let up after trying to speak to him, let him have it.

I would say that throwing to the mat in MT is okay, since it is a legitimate move to train/practice. A push kick to the knee is absolutely out of line and you should point out to him that it could cause a serious injury. A front kick to the face is questionable. It would depend on how hard you guys have agreed to spar.

Barring the kick to the knee, I would give back as hard as you get. If he's a much better fighter, then you should tell him to lighten up, otherwise don't spar with him. But if he's a much better fighter he shouldn't be going so hard on you. If he's a weaker or similarly skilled fighter and doesn't let up after trying to speak to him, let him have it.

i thought a push kick to the face was considered a huge insult in mt

It may be. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone throw a push kick to the face while sparring. I have seen sidekicks to the face in san shou matches (not sparring).

The foot is the "dirtiest part of the body" the head is the most revered part. So it's considered disrespectful. A friend of mine went running when we were in Thailand and had some bhat in her socks to get an iced coffee on the way back. The clerk wouldn't take it because thought having the King's face so close to someone's feet was disrespectful or something. It's usually my go to move for douchebags, though.

There's 2 people I know like that. One likes to teep me in the knee I wear a brace on so I drop legs kicks hard into him since he's never heard of this thing called a check. And I won't throw a normal one, I'll throw it high like I'm going for a head kick and then swing and chop all the way down to I have gravity to help me.

This other dude likes to go full force when he spars 103lb girls. So I go 80% force on him and he complains. I've teeped him in the mouth at least half a dozen times. I'll make sure I teep him to the body first so my foot gets nice and salty first, then teep to mouth. Some people are dicks and just need to be punished

It may be. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone throw a push kick to the face while sparring.
I've eaten one in MT sparring, but only once. An ex-TKD noob didn't know any better, and I failed to defend properly.

Regarding low push kicks, I don't see a problem with them in sparring. It's a legitimate and useful technique (watch any Nong-O Sit O fight), and as long as you kick above the knee and control yourself, nobody's going to get hurt.

I generally am not in favor of "Punishing" people in sparring. I do think though that there are exceptions to the rule like if your trying to clown a person just because you can that's not right and expect a reciept, or being careless and throwing haymakers to KO somebody. Sparring is not a fight and you should be working on technique with out trying to hurt people badly in my opinion.

Start laughing as u evade him.....:icon_lol:

I always try to punish people if they spar and do something stupid or go too hard. Sometimes i will just kinda "accidentally" check their low kick with my knee. Or just start throwing head kicks every time they step in. That stuff usually back people off :)

I generally am not in favor of "Punishing" people in sparring. I do think though that there are exceptions to the rule like if your trying to clown a person just because you can that's not right and expect a reciept, or being careless and throwing haymakers to KO somebody. Sparring is not a fight and you should be working on technique with out trying to hurt people badly in my opinion.
Exactly my point in my other thread. Sparring partners should be working on technique to benefit both of them, and not to try to show off their power. I really hate this new guy in our dojo who is blasting the shin pad held by a frail lady student. If he wanted to blast that, then he should go home and kick his heavy bag!

The foot is the "dirtiest part of the body" the head is the most revered part. So it's considered disrespectful. A friend of mine went running when we were in Thailand and had some bhat in her socks to get an iced coffee on the way back. The clerk wouldn't take it because thought having the King's face so close to someone's feet was disrespectful or something. It's usually my go to move for douchebags, though.

There's 2 people I know like that. One likes to teep me in the knee I wear a brace on so I drop legs kicks hard into him since he's never heard of this thing called a check. And I won't throw a normal one, I'll throw it high like I'm going for a head kick and then swing and chop all the way down to I have gravity to help me.

This other dude likes to go full force when he spars 103lb girls. So I go 80% force on him and he complains. I've teeped him in the mouth at least half a dozen times. I'll make sure I teep him to the body first so my foot gets nice and salty first, then teep to mouth. Some people are dicks and just need to be punished

anyone that teeps me in the knee when i'm wearing a brace is getting his shit beat HARD. thats one of the most dick things i've heard

anyone that teeps me in the knee when i'm wearing a brace is getting his shit beat HARD. thats one of the most dick things i've heard

Exactly. This douchebag also is 210-220 and wears 14 oz. Also the only person I've ever known to train in Thailand and come back with worse technique, but that's another story...

Back