Do you side with euthanasia?

Yes. The state doesn't have to fund it, but shouldn't prohibit it.

Even in an extreme case? Like a high school girl gets raped in the parking lot of the mall during her fertile week, so gets the pill from the clinic within the first week after conception? Because technically that's an abortion.

What?

I'm 100% pro-life.

I think any rational adult should believe in euthanasia. It's an absolutely horrible decision to have to make, but end of life care can be absolutely horrible for the patient. Dying isn't always a pleasant closing of the eyes. Some people can drag on the for months in absolute terrible conditions before passing. People deserve dignity in death.

Of course, the problem with euthanasia lies in where we draw the line. I don't think anyone would judge a 96 year old terminal cancer patient who's just suffering in extreme pain for going through with euthanasia. What about a 96 year old without a terminal illness, but is just miserable and broken? What about a 50 year old? What about a depressed 80 year old? What about a depressed 35 year old? What is acceptable and what isn't?

You only live one life. I think anyone who is diagnosed with something that will absolutely ruin their quality of life should have the ability to end things. When it comes to mental illnesses, I'm not so sure. I don't know if we should help depressed people kill themselves because they are sad when there is a chance to help them.

It's a tricky argument that I guess can't be answered in a Sherdog post.

Nailed it

All I know is...if I was in a good deal of pain, and my condition was terminal anyway... I wouldn't mind a little f***ing help, you know what I mean?

As long as its consentual.

I agree that the question is where to draw the line. And I don't really know off the top of my head. But I do believe that any "free" country should err on the side of voluntarism. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
You are damn right I SUPPORT euthenasia. Ffs we don't let our pets suffer but somehow we can drag on, with no quality of life and no chance to recover? Fuck that.

I watched my 6 foot 3 farmer grandfather waste away with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's until he was a skeleton with no control of bodily functions. His wife and my beloved grandma would not accept reality and letting him go were outside her religious convictions.

Thankfully my shock and distress at seeing him like was one of the things that finally made my grandmother accept reality ; and let the nurses take him into palliative care, and give him a peaceful passing with morphine.

Last edited:
Even in an extreme case? Like a high school girl gets raped in the parking lot of the mall during her fertile week, so gets the pill from the clinic within the first week after conception? Because technically that's an abortion.
Yep. Were a child conceived the evil done to her does not justify the evil to the child. If one gets raped she better be pretty fast with the morning after pill.

It's the right of a human to end their lives...GOVT. should stay the fuck away.

Difficult. Its a legal conondrum and a can of worms.

I think someone of sound mind should be able to terminate their life if they so wish.

Anyone who thinks the medical professiopn don't do this are naive. Euthanasia is common

Yes, euthanasia should definitely be everyone's right (without going into details). No one should be forced to live through things like horrible, painful diseases that can't be cured.

I love the hypocrisy of the ones that are against abortion and euthanasia, but for the right to kill someone that walks in on your property.

She is a 20+ year old depressed woman, who is obviously not very stable. The state shouldn't be handing out euthanasia to such people. We have already seen where that led in Nazi Germany, mass purges of mentally ill people who were deemed unfit for the society.

Who wants to be the butcher of struggling teens or young adults? Do you want to enlist? I'm pretty sure that the doctors, other than the total psychopaths, want nothing to do with euthanasia. You're taking the life of a young person with a potential future ahead of himself/herself, and even if he/she desperately wants it, that's not really going to help you sleep at night, unless you're one cold, callous son of a bitch.

• But nothing happened to her. Even with euthanasia available, she ended the story exactly the same as she was at the start of the story.
  • I doubt the doctors, counselors, therapists, and orderlies who treat the severely mentally ill and watch them and their families suffer and struggle daily, knowing that nothing's likely to ever change, until they mercifully pass on aren't having fun, either. Most people have the luxury of sticking their head in the sand and pretending this problem doesn't exist, though.
  • How best for society to deal with seriously mentally ill people is a gigantic topic on its own, with no solutions that don't involve serious drawbacks, and I don't have time for a lengthy debate about it. However, like I said before, you make a very simple rule about young ages with no physically debilitating conditions and now you don't have to worry about anything hypothetically happening to someone like her, either.

Yes.
Working in hospital wards doing rehab for those with strokes, MS, ALS, end stage COPD (helped a man write his last letter to his family because he couldn't talk for 6 months), consecutive massive heart attacks where they are on permanent life support, cancers, dementia, alzheimers, parkinsons, TBI's where you are literally a vegetable drooling all day staring at the ceiling and being fed through a stomach tube...Yeah i'm all for it if they have met with a team of doctors and psychologists and their family and fully understand it. They always have the option to say no.

I did rehab on a man who had a serious stroke, he chose to stop eating and continuously take his oxygen mask off during the day and when he slept. The nurses kept reapplying it and eventually he had gone long enough without it on that he slipped into a coma and died.
My ex GF's uncle kept on parking his motorized scooter on train tracks because he didn't want to live as a tetraplegic anymore. Literally you give this man 2 minutes of freedom and he's looking for trains because they wont allow him to peacefully pass on.

Lots more similar to this, Working in healthcare you see this monthly.

• But nothing happened to her. Even with euthanasia available, she ended the story exactly the same as she was at the start of the story.
  • I doubt the doctors, counselors, therapists, and orderlies who treat the severely mentally ill and watch them and their families suffer and struggle daily, knowing that nothing's likely to ever change, until they mercifully pass on aren't having fun, either. Most people have the luxury of sticking their head in the sand and pretending this problem doesn't exist, though.
  • How best for society to deal with seriously mentally ill people is a gigantic topic on its own, with no solutions that don't involve serious drawbacks, and I don't have time for a lengthy debate about it. However, like I said before, you make a very simple rule about young ages with no physically debilitating conditions and now you don't have to worry about anything hypothetically happening to someone like her, either.

If she had felt a little more depressed that particular day, having given less of a damn during that particular day about whether she lived or died, she would've been dead, and there's no coming back from the dead. No second chances. You're gone, and we really don't know if the state of death is any better. Nobody's come back to tell us. I've known suicidal people, I've known people who have been in deep depression, for decades. They're living normal lives now, they're capable of feeling happiness. I don't think the state should subject mentally ill people to a choice of life and death. At that time, they will choose death. Hell, I've had moments in my life when I've felt like choosing death. I'm sure that a lot of people have.

I haven't stuck my head in the sand, although it feels everybody else has. You're putting an enormous burden on the people who actually have to be responsible for euthanasia. They will be vilified by the people who do not support euthanasia, as butchers, as executioners. The already crumbling relations between doctors and the people who do not trust the society, will become even more tense, as the doctors are no longer just healers, but your potential killers. Unless you're willing to do the job yourself, then you shouldn't be so quick to make it a responsibility for the medical staff to take someone's life. This is not something that anybody signed for, when they wanted to become a doctor.

The problem is, again, that when the cat is out of the bag, once you legalize euthanasia, you've once again made the state, the government, and its institutions, responsible for life and death, which is a power that I do not feel they should ever own, as we have learned from governments which abused such power to suit their own political purposes. These very simple rules can be easily over-turned to fit whatever agenda the government is trying to push at the time. If young people with deep depression are too much of a burden on the economy at the time, euthanasia would be an easy answer to such a problem. It's also an easy answer to the problem of aging citizens. It's an easy answer to a lot of things. Too easy. And too final.

Much easier solution to this is to allow people, who are already at death's door, the chance to refuse medical treatment. This is essentially what happens nowadays, when a person is going to die, the medical staff ceases to operate on the person, perhaps gives them a little morphine to ail their suffering and hasten their death. It is sensible, and as the responsibility is left on the hands of the medical staff and their individual judgment, while the state is not required to interfere with the process and enforce euthanasia with strict laws and rules, subject to being changed based on whatever is the prevailing opinion among the citizens or the political class at the time.This is one Pandora's box that I feel we simply should not open.

Last edited:
I do, some countries allow it, but of course only for people terminal I'll, who are in alot of pain, but how about people with alzheimer ? Or parkison, if their still funcional and choose not to live anymore, not allowing the disease to take control. That's a though one to judge.
I am in favor of it. In fact I am in favor of forced, involuntary euthanasia in many instances. Can't have these old codgers languishing on life support, or living sad lives in assisted living facilities, draining the inheritances of the younger generations!!! Fuck'em

I love the hypocrisy of the ones that are against abortion and euthanasia, but for the right to kill someone that walks in on your property.
Yeah, how hypocritical of people to oppose murder while approving of self defense.

You're a special snowflake, aren't you. No surprise that you're a Swede.

Absolutely, I am for choosing your own death at whatever time seems best to you, after a full life. Also in cases of terminal illness; why would you force someone to suffer for your sense of moral righteousness?

It's your life, it should be your fucking choice when and how to end it so long as that doesn't create a problem for society to deal with (in other words, no messes for anyone else to pick up).

Absolutely, I am for choosing your own death at whatever time seems best to you, after a full life. Also in cases of terminal illness; why would you force someone to suffer for your sense of moral righteousness?

It's your life, it should be your fucking choice when and how to end it so long as that doesn't create a problem for society to deal with (in other words, no messes for anyone else to pick up).
You don't know what euthanasia is.

It is not suicide.

How is it weird to feel sorry for someone that's in so much pain and suffering that they prefer to die? That's very human reaction and of course it's 100% emotional, what else would it be? Euthanasia is incredibly sad! It's not like taking an aspirin to help with your headache! You're the type of people I was referring, acting casual like this is nothing. smh

Oh lol it's immature to want to live yep sure. :rolleyes: You sound depressed tbh

So I have to break it down since you didn't understand. When I'm talking about a weird line of thinking and it being purely emotional, I'm talking about the absurd decision NOT to put someone out of their misery. Reading comprehension needs to be taught better in schools, jeez.

It's terrible living day-to-day in pain. Death is a good thing in that case. It's not a big boogeyman and once people realize this, we'll be able to be more humane to actual humans and release them from the painful existence they have to endure due to immature people.

Yes, it is VERY immature for YOU to prevent OTHERS who want to die and escape a living hell. The people in pain aren't the ones who want to live, nimrod. It's OTHER people who want them to liv and suffer because their childish outlook still cannot come to terms with death and when death is the better option.

So I have to break it down since you didn't understand. When I'm talking about a weird line of thinking and it being purely emotional, I'm talking about the absurd decision NOT to put someone out of their misery. Reading comprehension needs to be taught better in schools, jeez.

It's terrible living day-to-day in pain. Death is a good thing in that case. It's not a big boogeyman and once people realize this, we'll be able to be more humane to actual humans and release them from the painful existence they have to endure due to immature people.

Yes, it is VERY immature for YOU to prevent OTHERS who want to die and escape a living hell. The people in pain aren't the ones who want to live, nimrod. It's OTHER people who want them to liv and suffer because their childish outlook still cannot come to terms with death and when death is the better option.

We must ask ourselves though, whether we are truly at such a pathetic stage that we have to ask for the state for its permissions to put a loved one out of their misery. If one of my family has reached such a point that there is nothing left but pain, without the ability to end it, I'll pull the trigger myself, and suffer whatever meager consequences come off it as a result. So did all of my ancestors before me, and so will I.

Back