Do You Shorten Your Straight To Follow-Up With Your Lead Hook on the Bag?

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Always have trouble following up my 1-2 on the heavy bag with a lead hook. And it's, in a big part, due to distance. I mean, my jab has okay range, my straight has more range (at least if we don't include steps, and purely hip rotation on jabs vs. crosses), and if I'm at the range to where my cross is fully-extended, how the heck can I then throw a lead hook without moving in closer?

See guys do it on the bag all the time with no issues, but I can't get it down. Honestly, might help to just get off the damn bag and actually go spar.

You don't really hit both with full reach, you'd end up compromising one or the other to land your real main shot. Means you have to open up your hook if you want to connect both, and risk opening yourself up; Or you jam your cross so you can land the hook since you're on the inside

On pads and sparring it's more "do-able" compared to the bag where it's restricted to it's mount. Chances are in videos of bagwork they're jamming the cross or opening the hook, but the angle looks right

You don't really hit both with full reach, you'd end up compromising one or the other to land your real main shot. Means you have to open up your hook if you want to connect both, and risk opening yourself up; Or you jam your cross so you can land the hook since you're on the inside

On pads and sparring it's more "do-able" compared to the bag where it's restricted to it's mount. Chances are in videos of bagwork they're jamming the cross or opening the hook, but the angle looks right
Ah, that makes sense. It just seems so awkward for me, and I definitely don't want to develop the habit of shortening my crosses. That said, I don't throw a ton of crosses anyways (and jabs are just a tool for me to get inside and deliver hooks), so maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm thinking. Regardless, I need to actually hit and get hit by others. Bagwork, padwork, and drills are great, but I just want to be put in the ring, and go at it. Baptism by (controlled, trained) fire.

Ah, that makes sense. It just seems so awkward for me, and I definitely don't want to develop the habit of shortening my crosses. That said, I don't throw a ton of crosses anyways (and jabs are just a tool for me to get inside and deliver hooks), so maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm thinking. Regardless, I need to actually hit and get hit by others. Bagwork, padwork, and drills are great, but I just want to be put in the ring, and go at it. Baptism by (controlled, trained) fire.

If you have the access to a double-end bag, I strongly recommend using it to drill cross-hook transitions of any kind. That’s one the best tools for a boxer. Heavy bag’s too forgiving.

you hit the jab, take a small step to the left, step in throwing the straight, take another small step to the left + in and duck, then throw the left hook. Why do you want to do them from a static position? That's not how you supposed to do them. You should always step in, because your opponent will probably step back

shortening is a good skill to have.
pulling your punches is a bad habit.

but you should be moving with the bag. if it's a banana bag that's different.

sparring is a great way to define if you have the tools. it's also a great way to get washed out if you don't got he tools and just get beaten on. are you till purely self training or have you been going to a coach and a gym?

shortening is a good skill to have.
pulling your punches is a bad habit.

but you should be moving with the bag. if it's a banana bag that's different.

sparring is a great way to define if you have the tools. it's also a great way to get washed out if you don't got he tools and just get beaten on. are you till purely self training or have you been going to a coach and a gym?

Isn't the bag supposed to be relatively stationary if you're hitting it correctly?

And not at a gym yet, but going to start going this week. Will probably post a short video next week to get some tips.

Isn't the bag supposed to be relatively stationary if you're hitting it correctly?

And not at a gym yet, but going to start going this week. Will probably post a short video next week to get some tips.
Yes but you can swing the bag and then move with it. Not saying there is an imperical way to hit the bag but its one of the many ways to hit a bag. Its good for guys because it gives them a chance to step and think about stepping when they may still be stuck in stay stationary and throw bombs stage instead of try and box stage.

Back