1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

do you "shadow spar" or "technique spar"

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by recoil, Nov 28, 2005.

1. OpethDrums Banned Banned

i think hard sparring is good for new guys to show them how important technique and endurance is. i always thought i was the shit untill i got beat up a few times. i also saw what i did well. when you spar with someone inexperienced the easy sparring goes out the window fast because they think youre hitting them hard when they get caught. either that or they want to prove a point..

2. devante Silver Belt

u need to spar period.. maybe ten percent of the world can get by w/out it..most of us can't...why do u think so many karate guys get their asses handed to them on the street, cus the schools they train at don't have solid sparring so when they get hit they freeze up.

if u have not taken a good shot in training u prob won't take one in a fight, an until u see if u can take a shot..u can't be eff..the question is not can we fight everyone on the board is trained well enough to fight, it's can u fight back (i.e. when u have to take punishment)

noone gets nervous in a fight cus they are scared of landing all their shots...slipping their opp and knocking them out..they are scared cus they might get hurt or koed..hard sparring w/credible people takes some of that away

3. pistachio22 Yellow Belt

A little bit of column 'A' & a little bit of column 'B'.
    You got to have balance in your training, 'shadow sparring is an excellant way to improve your technique & your muscle memory.
    If you stick a new guy into heavy sparring straight away, your just gonna have someone lashing out & flinching, & not learning alot about fighting.
    Teach someone what it's like to have a blow coming towards them & how to react without panic, & they'll learn alot faster. Best way to do that is treat them gently. It's just a like taking turns at tag.

Then once their confidence is up, put a bit more into it. Once they've grasped the technique they need to practice it under pressure. If they freeze up, take it down a notch. Gradually you'll find them becoming a more capable sparring partner rather than a walking punching bag.

Even when your an old hand at the fighting malarkey, tip-tapping (thats what we call it) is a great way of keeping on top of your game. Think about it, you can do it more of it without injury to hinder you, theres no ego, so you're both looking out for how one-another can improve.
    We tend to start of gently, usually isolating techniques & working on specific defenses. Then we go up the gears through the rounds until the last few rounds are usually a good old slug-fest.

It's all in the Yin & Yang baby, Yeah!
    Or you could just ride your ego & just try & bash whoever you get in the ring with, & not learn or teach a thing.