Do you root for fighters based on nationality?

I have a soft spot for Aussie fighters. I root for Volkanovski, Tuivasa, Pedro, Matthews, etc if they're against fighters I don't particularly care for or don't have much of an opinion on. But nationality isn't an automatic determination. I appreciate fighters whose fighting style/technique I like more.

Well, do you?

As someone from down under, I always root for Aussies but I know a lot of people (especially Americans) don't really root for fellow Muricanz. They usually root for people from their country of origin lol
Not really. I mean, I do root for GSP Brent because he’s Canadian like me. I like his approach to martial arts and love how honest and composed he is.

Well, do you?

As someone from down under, I always root for Aussies but I know a lot of people (especially Americans) don't really root for fellow Muricanz. They usually root for people from their country of origin lol

I think that nationality only indirectly influences who I root for.

What I mean by that is that I really don't think that I care much, if at all, about any fighters' nationalities per se, but the media that potentially gives me access to getting to know the stories and the personalities of all fighters does tend to make skewed assumptions that don't apply to me: namely that I want to know about fighters who are my fellow Americans more than I do about fighters that are non-Americans. And I don't think that I do have much, if any, of that preference, but I must confess that I do find that it is generally easier to root for a fighter that I know more about, than it is to root for a fighter that I don't know much about. And because of this, and the media imbalance, I often do, I suppose, show a bit of an imbalance toward rooting for Americans, simply because it is easier to get to know them better.

I know a lot of people (especially Americans) don't really root for fellow Muricanz

At least half the roster is American and 8 out of 12 undisputed champs are from the US. No matter who the fans support, Americans will dominate. For other countries it's different, you may have only a handful of dudes and even less top 10 guys, you kinda feel like they "need" more support.

Yes I root against Asian fighters. Not because I dislike them. I bet Against them every time. For the most part they aren't very good and even when they do win they lose the decision

Yeah definitely, if fighters from your country are doing well then the sport will get more coverage and there will be more interest which results in more local shows and the growth of the sport. It's a no-brainer.

crocop450.jpg

As i'm Croatian i obviously root for CroCop, Miočić and our guys. As far as everyone else it's if i like you or not. It has nothing to do with nationality.

And look, I GOT MY BELT BAAAAAAAAAACK!!

According to Tyrone, i root for fighters based on their race.

"Nationalism is hating other countries for no reason, and taking pride in accomplishments that were nothing to do with you ".

I'm an Aussie too and I usually get behind all the Aussie fighters unless they're fuckheads.

Yes, not a lot of fighters from my region so it's extra special when someone makes it to the UFC.

Yes, but that's because I'm from Belgium and we only have Tarec Saffiedine :D
I also root for Stefan Struve and Overeem because they are from the Netherlands and I like the Dutch

Yes, I don't think I would support Overeem if he wasn't Dutch. It doesn't go so far I support GDR though.

I'm a fan of Sponge as well and usually support Russian fighters.

Last edited:
Never but I'm American so is normal.

Edit..I'm from the United States. Can't just say American because our Canadian friends surely do.

Absolutely not!

All that shit is meaningless to me.

I always cheer for the Japanese. Because sushi

Back