Do you Prefer Home Alone 1 or Home Alone 2?

haha this was the scene, Zer, that actually veered into uncomfortability territory for me, watching at the theater as a little kid.

I know bad potentially fatal stuff befell Pesci and Stern in the first, but the brick scene I was distinctly aware of the sense, oh shit, they would be dead.
Kevin seems more like a psychopath in the second one. The bricks are pretty brutal and he just continually rains them down when he doesn’t have to and then how he just creepily keeps turning up the battery charger while Marv is being electrocuted. Then lighting the rope on fire that they’re climbing on and setting it on so they trigger being splashed on by the wood stain. A little excessive lol. Then the Wet Bandits straight up pull a gun on Kevin and are going to murder him in cold blood before being stopped by the pigeon lady, who then Marv screams to shoot her with absolutely zero hesitation. They really ratchet up the stakes for the sequel.

HA2 has the better traps, but HA1 has better lines. They're as even as can be.

Last edited:
1 is better in my opinion. Originator vs. imitator scenario. Not to say Home Alone 2 is bad. It’s actually a quite good sequel. But it’s one of those cases where it hits every same note of the original. Kevin’s alone again through a contrivance. Wet bandits are back. Angels with Even Filthier Souls is a huge plot device just as it’s hilarious predecessor was in Home Alone. Pigeon Lady is a (less effective) Old Man Marley. Etc etc.

To me it’s like The Hangover 2 which I really enjoy as well. It ups the ante from the first but it sticks extremely closely to all the elements of the first. So if you like the original, you’ll almost assuredly like the sequel but if you hated the original, there’s very little chance the second wins you over.

As someone who lives in New York, though, I find many of my friends prefer the sequel because of the NYC setting. Lol.

Damn, this was like a professionally written review.

completely agree. Funniest Stern moment in both films in my opinion and arguably the funniest moment in the entirety of both films. Stern was terrific. Wonder why he doesn’t do more tv or movies these days. Another one of those guys very capable of both comedic and serious performances.

For real, I only remember seeing him in HIMYM about half a decade back and that's it

I think pre-2000s movies relied a bit too much on NYC like a crutch.

Godzilla in New York, Crocodile Dundee in New York...

In spite of this, the sequel was still great.

I like both equally. I refuse to choose. Fuck #3.

The first one is the best but I enjoyed the
second to anything after that sucked.

Or (God forbid) 3? I don't really wanna put that one but some weirdo out there probably likes it.

81cm7jhPXFL._SL1500_.jpg

Home Alone - Kevin's parents forget him in Chicago on their trip to Paris and Kevin lays elaborate traps on a pair of invincible would be burglars.

Home Alone 2 - McCallisters take a trip to Miami, Kevin gets on the wrong flight and ends up in NYC and miraculously runs into the burglars from the previous film.

Home Alone 3 - This time 4 criminals try to retrieve a $10 million computer chip that's in the home of a young boy named Alex. Similar to the first one, Alex stops the criminals with a series of elaborate traps.
The original Home Alone by a country mile.

This thread deserves a poll.

Both were awesome movies, but I slightly will go with Home Alone 1, but its close, Home Alone 2 is great too

First one.

I honestly didn’t even think it’d be a contest.

Been a long time since I've seen either. Never really had a clear favorite before though.
i watched the first one recently just over christmas.

i watched it with my god daughter and she loved it! was literally laughing out load the whole movie! it was funny, and then im stuck laughing at how much she is laughing. <Lmaoo><45><Lmaoo><45><Lmaoo><45>

It really comes down to the old man vs the bird lady.

Old Man Marley is an epic character. Scene where Kevin talks to him and he realizes he’s just a good dude (not the Bayside Shovel Slayer) is great. One of the best scenes in the film I’d argue. Provides a bit of an emotional core to a fun, comedic movie.

Home Alone 1 because in 2 they almost take it too far. Like almost every single trap in 2 would be fatal:

-The bricks to Marv’s face
-The bag of tools opening on Harry’s head
-Electrocuting Marv
-Harry sticking his burning head into a toilet bowl full of gasoline
-the piping/paint cans/fall into the basement
-the tool chest falling down the stairs
-the 3 story fall off the burning rope

All of those would be potentially fatal. I prefer the simplicity of a guy stepping on ornaments and Christmas lights with his bare feet.

Back