Do you prefer Boxing to MMA?

I love watching both, but Boxing is my favorite. The history, styles, pageantry, tradition, it's just great to me, even with it's faults.

I enjoy UFC, Bellator, PFL, One, but for me PrideFC rules and ring atmosphere was the best for MMA. RIP Pride. I guess One is supposed to be Pride 2.0 right?

Shout out to K1. I loved watching that too when it was at its peak.

but for me PrideFC rules and ring atmosphere was the best for MMA. RIP Pride..

Damn right. Pride FC was the golden era of MMA. Not to say UFC of today isn't exciting because it can be very exciting, competitive and entertaining, but something about an event like the original Pride Gran Prix... using a ring, how respectful the audience was being all quiet and observant of the techniques... It really felt like an extension of boxing and back then it didn't feel like there was any Boxing vs MMA rivalry.

I prefer boxing. MMA for me is amazing in spurts, it just has times where I'm not getting excited about its "big fights"

Boxing for me. Well currently. I was an avid MMA fan for years, all the way back to UFC 1 when it just blew me away. Yes an MMA fighter would destroy a Boxer in a one on one fight but that is a tired narrative. I just think the level of skill in boxing is higher. I feel like I'm watching fighters in MMA who couldn't make it in boxing. Boxing is where the money is.

I don't know what happened but a few years ago I just stopped watching MMA. Perhaps it was because I was just overloaded with events which seemed to be happening almost every single week. I just overloaded on it. Now I don't know who the current UFC champions are. And I train BJJ so you'd think I'd have more interest in MMA than most because I can appreciate the finer aspects of grappling. I may get back into it at some point.

And I train BJJ so you'd think I'd have more interest in MMA than most because I can appreciate the finer aspects of grappling. I may get back into it at some point.

Tomorrow is a good day to get back into it. I saw some highlights of Adesanya and he pulls off moves that are typically limited to being seen only in martial arts demos

Tomorrow is a good day to get back into it. I saw some highlights of Adesanya and he pulls off moves that are typically limited to being seen only in martial arts demos
Yeah I've heard good things about him, I may check it out. Thanks for the tip.

A wonderful bout is the 2nd best thing on earth. Trouble being, if its a snoozer, we have 12 rds of drudge. MMA is awesome. Lacking the grace of a century old sport but if its a dud, we only have 3 rds to suffer. I love 'em both.

A wonderful bout is the 2nd best thing on earth. Trouble being, if its a snoozer, we have 12 rds of drudge. MMA is awesome. Lacking the grace of a century old sport but if its a dud, we only have 3 rds to suffer. I love 'em both.
And the 1st best thing on earth is ?

Real fighting involves sucker punches, multiple opponents, pieces of furniture and alcohol.

As for combat sports, I enjoy boxing the most.

True also slamming people on there head. Most of the fights where i had a dude meet me somewhere was in middle school and high school

Yes, nothing beats something like Morales vs Barrera, Ward vs Gotti, Holyfield vs Bowe the list goes on and on. The currant PPV model sucks, basically paying for the main event and that's it due to the shit undercards, people not fighting, building up fighters on PPV which should only be world class fighting world class. Bad match making, styles make fights. However when you get something like the fights I mentioned, NOTHING COMES CLOSE. Don't get me wrong, I love MMA as well.

Yes, nothing beats something like Morales vs Barrera, Ward vs Gotti, Holyfield vs Bowe the list goes on and on. The currant PPV model sucks, basically paying for the main event and that's it due to the shit undercards, people not fighting, building up fighters on PPV which should only be world class fighting world class. Bad match making, styles make fights. However when you get something like the fights I mentioned, NOTHING COMES CLOSE. Don't get me wrong, I love MMA as well.
Obviously you didn't see Chuck vs Tito 3.

I started out as an MMA fan first and then picked up watching boxing later but I love it way more and barely even follow MMA now.

Because I do... Its weird, im a fan of both sports but there is something about the aesthetis of boxing that I love more so than MMA. MMA is closer to real fighting but i still enjoy boxing more

anyone else have similar feelings and why?
I love both sports, was a bigger fan of MMA when I was younger. I used to wrestle so I loved seeing the techniques of my sport utilized in competition. But as I’ve gotten older, I have really started enjoying boxer as it’s definitely more technically sound and strategic. It’s harder to find openings in boxing than MMA. If you can’t stand and bang in MMA, you have two more options(clinch and ground) and so on. Whereas in boxing, you just have to find those angles and openings. It’s truly amazing.

I like both. As a kid I was a way bigger fan of MMA. Ever since UFC 4. My father was Ron Van Clief’s rival. They fought many times in karate tournaments in the 1970’s. I remember my father being so upset that Ron Van Clief threw that kick that got him taken down against Royce Gracie lol. I remember attending UFC 42, (First time they ever came to Florida) UFC 43, Ortiz/Shamrock 3, a few fight nights, and knew every fighter on each card. Even the opening prelims. I was a die hard. Renting the VHS Tapes at Blockbuster of the early UFCs were fun times lol. Trying to hunt down DVDs of the super rare smaller events was always a fun challenge. Now I’m just a casual really. I’m gonna order the ppv tonight but the only fighters I’m familiar with are the main event and the co main event. Ya filthy casual lol! I’m pretty knowledgeable on the early UFC’s and even other promotions that did ok in the 1990’s early 2000’s. Not so much current events except for belt holders and top contenders

Boxing I used to be a super duper die hard. I got in really good with some of the coaches down here in South Florida and would video tape a lot of sparring lol. John David Jackson, Jorge Rubio, El Tigre, the Davie PAL. Man some of the footage I’ve filmed. I just hope the DVDs will still work they’ve been sitting in storage. I’d be more excited for local fights than the big ppvs. Now though in boxing I mainly just follow the more popular boxers and still a handful of guys down here in South Florida. There’s an Amateur down here absolutely killing it and I can’t wait for him to go pro soon. I’d say these days in boxing I’m not a causal or a diehard. Somewhere in the middle lol!

Overall I go back and forth between boxing and mma. Don’t really have a favorite. When they go head to head it just depends on who’s fighting to decide which I’ll watch

Both are fun but I started watching MMA when I was 13, right when ufc 1 started, yet I started watching boxing much earlier than that with my dad showing me Tyson and Chavez fights as a kid.

i trained for a while, boxing mostly, I was not bad at it but I realized I didn’t like getting hit in the face at sparring so I made the transition to vale tudo and I loved it, using the boxing I already knew and learning bjj and all that stuff was great.

still, for me nothing beats the excitement level of a big boxing match, no matter how many dollies Connor manages to throw or how many religions he tried to insult to generate buys, boxing will always be a step above. But I also love mma
I love both sports.

There is plenty of room for both and I like watching great fights.

That said, there is something special about a BIG boxing fight.

I love boxing history and I geek out watching documentaries about great boxers through the generations. And when I watch a huge fight live I feel like I am watching history. Like one day when I’m an (even older) old geezer I’ll see a YouTube type film about Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder and be able to say “I remember where I was for that fight” like I do now for Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis title fights.

I’m pumped about Yoel vs Israel tonight. There is a “matchup of styles” element to mMA that really makes it interesting to analyze. In boxing even if two guys have different styles they are both trying to punch the other guy in the face while standing up, in MMA it can get really interesting to try to break down how the different approaches to fighting will play out against each other.

It’s a good time to be a fight fan.

Back