Opinion Do you, or would you support a president that you didn't vote for?

Do you, or would you support a president that you didn't vote for?

• Total voters
Anyways, yes, of course I would.

If Trump, for instance, had made good on his promises to raise taxes on the wealthy, punish corruption, end foreign interventionism, and buck special interests, I'd certainly support him over any conservative challenger. If he did that in addition to being solid in other policy areas and having some deference to intelligence and honesty, I might support him more roundly.

And, of course, I hope he stops being a POS and starts being a semi-competent president.

Bush and Obama were both patsies for China. Under Bush each year the trade deficit with China was higher than the previous year except Bush's first year (2001). Under Obama the trade deficit with China was higher than the previous year twice: Obama's first year (2009) and 2016.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html

A trade deficit doesn't mean that we're patsies. The country with the trade deficit is benefiting more (though both countries, of course, benefit from trade). Remember that the economy is goods and services.

Why support a guy who's a completely incompetent as being President. Yeah you can wish he or she the best. But if he or she is mostly a failure, than why support that?

There should be clearly high standards for being a President of a country.

It shouldn't be a difficult question, but there are a lot of people out there that would rather have the country fail than have Trump as president.

I don’t want the country to fail but if his policy sucks then it should be called out as shitty. Likewise if someone is following arguable good policy and it gets shot down for partisan reasons that should be called out more.

In your view what great policy is being unfairly critiqued here? In my opinion his fiscal policy was crap and his covid policy has been discombobulated. Contrast that to the republicans and their calls for austerity under Obama.

So yeah those dems that are hoping for a meltdown and failure are awful but those calling him out on policy are doing their job.

Lol... I do find myself getting a little more conservative as I get older. I can admit that. Trump was the first republican I ever voted for since I became of voting age in 1998.

you are regressing :)

Of course. No one wants the country to fail. Imo Trump had a huge opportunity to get people behind him due to the COVID crisis but he squandered it. Instead of saying "my fellow Americans" we get
" I'm doing a great job everyone says so"
He thrives when the country is divided. It's his fault.

His policies. He has been doing everything possible before this Pandemic to prop the economy up. He has given a shit ton away to the wealthy elites while doing jack shit for the middle class and poor. He got rid of the pandemic response team. Has badly mishandled this whole pandemic. Funny thing is in another thread complaining about this financial melt down Right Wingers were talking about how many people will starve. Meanwhile Trump made cuts to meals on wheels and SNAP. He has fleeced the country for himself and his rich friends while morons cheered.

What the fuck?

You were right. It has been GWB 2.0, except with exponentially more corruption and ineptitude.

What in the heavenly fuck could make you think Trump hasn't slashed taxes for the wealthy (more than GWB), slashed environmental protections and economic regulations (more than GWB), and engaged in needless deficit spending to fund his giveaways to the rich (worse than GWB)?

All of the sudden you don't care about any of those central domestic policy considerations because of the topic of trade deficits with China? A topic you (and 99% of people) have no knowledge about and weren't interested in at all until dip shit nationalists like Trump started illiterately screaming about it?

By all individual and performative measures (not, mind you, the performance of the country in spite of him), Trump has been a worse president than GWB, who was himself one of the worst presidents ever.

Sure Trump has cut taxes for rich people just like W, but unlike W he's enacted hundreds of billions $ in tariffs against the Chinese and taken action to curtail their infiltration of the US.

https://apnews.com/82a98fecee074bfb83731760bfbce515

A trade deficit doesn't mean that we're patsies. The country with the trade deficit is benefiting more (though both countries, of course, benefit from trade). Remember that the economy is goods and services.

The 'benefits' of using cheap labor from an adversary that steals security clearance and financial data on Americans are diffuse, except for rich Americans. People may pay less for goods, but entire communities get hollowed out because of lost industries. This not only causes a devestating drop in quality of life for the people who used to be (or could have been) employed at these factories and mills, but also the members of the communities who would serve the factory and mill employees.

The 'benefits' of using cheap labor from an adversary that steals security clearance and financial data on Americans are diffuse, except for rich Americans. People may pay less for goods, but entire communities get hollowed out because of lost industries. This not only causes a devestating drop in quality of life for the people who used to be (or could have been) employed at these factories and mills, but also the members of the communities who would serve the factory and mill employees.

The benefits are actually skewed toward the middle class and poor. And you were earlier talking about the trade deficit specifically. Kind of fishy when someone changes their reasoning and maintains the same position.

Putting that aside, I don't think there are communities that have been "hollowed out" solely as a result of trade with China. We have seen shifts in the economy, with new industries rising up and old ones losing importance that have helped some communities and hurt other ones. If that's a genuine concern, I think the response should be A) stabilization policy (an overall strong labor demand goes a long way toward fixing that kind of thing), B) a strong safety net for the transition, and C) easier access to education. Also, one method that has really worked for some towns has been investing in higher education, which attracts a lot of new money (and skilled immigrants) to the town and creates a lot of secondary effects related to bunching up of high-skill people, but that's a local rather than national issue. Those are all things that the GOP actively fights against.

I dont support the ones I did vote for past the ballot box, and they dont support me. So fuck them and fuck me.

All your posts come off like a crying little girl sticking her fingers in her ears, stamping her feet and screeching, LMFAO

Oh and the wall just got 5' higher Carla

All your posts come off as an inbred mongoloid who whines like a bitch about the left. Wall still isn't a thing Karen cock gobbler.

I support anyone who deserves it. I do not support the current President.

I voted for Hillary in 2016 (and Obama in 2012 and 2008), will be voting Trump this year. I thought a Trump presidency would basically be a third W term, that Trump wouldn't want to rock the boat with China. I was wrong.

But he did cut taxes for the rich and lift environmental regulations...

Shouldn't this be a rational way of thinking? You don't have to agree with all of the presidents policies, but you should want what's best for your country and want whoever is in office succeed regardless of their party affiliation.

I didn't vote for Bush, but I wanted him to succeed. I voted for Obama, but I didn't like all of his policies and thought there were things he could have handled better. I think Trump is doing a decent Job even though he doesn't act like the most professional person at times. I will vote for him over Biden in November, but will still support Joe if he gets elected.
I was ready to support Trump at first but he started off right away with the lying, acting as if he was above the law, and putting his own interests above the country. IMO it's very dangerous the way he's appointing loyalists and spreading propaganda.

The credit stealing, blame shifting, divider in chief. But at least he doesn't collect his salary, that wouldn't cover the cost for a day, of one of his taxpayer funded weekend trips to his clubs.

Back