Do you look down on blue collar workers?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TidWell, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Texan6533 Fastest Gun in the West

Not in the slightest. Before I got my career started, I would do odd jobs all the time like work with the illegal day laborers on framing/landscaping/etc to get by to help pay for school. Also worked as a cotton picker to help pay for rent in our first apartment when I got married in college.

As far as I’m concerned, you can’t be above manual labor if you need to support yourself or a family in tough times or just in general. It’s honest work and nothing is wrong with that.

2. Cyrano200 Blue Belt

No. Honest work should always be respected.
    As far as blue collar vs white collar, the satisfaction of completing a hand-on job, especially if it involved hard labor, is powerful. Staring up a pump or compressor you've just rebuilt gives a sense of accomplishment. Even replacing a garbage disposal, shower fittings, and hot water heaters in my home is satisfying in a way writing the 3rd quarter assessment never will be. It just doesn't pay as well.

3. badascan Red Belt Platinum Member

Come down here and see what happens when you try to look down on me...

4. Phlog Dad Belt

Not to my face they don't.

Mike likes this.
  5. Ironnik94 Perdition Belt

No and no one should.
    They're the backbone of our societie(s).

6. TankAbbott4Eva Gold Belt

<6>

cck311** and Mike like this.
  7. Streeter Red Belt

What cracks me up is the office worker making 60k a year looking down at us Construction tradesmen making 115k . Always cracks me up at least.

In Chicago

Tradesmen make 100k a year give or take. Blue color Workers make good money here. Many have col degrees but get better benefits an money via union.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Kendodsworth likes this.
  8. Mael White Belt

Not sure how is it like over in the west. But in Singapore there is a marked difference in personalities between blue and white collar. In general I respect blue collar workers more, they are overall more humble and not as conceited.
    I'm white collar.

Kendodsworth likes this.
  9. Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I have to admit that I did when I was younger. I think a lot of people from my generation did. We were all taught "go to college so you don't have to break your back all day". The culture is what is creating the college bubble. Our high school did have an automotive program and another vocational program, and I remember a lot of people thought the kids in that were losers.

It's interesting now since I see the financials from both sides. Not only that, there is a huge advantage to be able to handle your own home renovations or other DIY projects. I do think the culture has shifted and many realize how valuable the trades are.

Fla graplr likes this.
  10. -Magua- Black Belt

Naw man that’s geigh.
    I honestly wouldn’t hang out with someone like that.
    [​IMG]
    Growing up and even later in life, some of the most successful people I’ve met came from blue colllar upbringings.

11. badascan Red Belt Platinum Member

[​IMG]

TankAbbott4Eva likes this.
  12. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Only when they try to pretend that they’re experts in economics, pharmacology, psychology, etc., to overcompensate for their lack of education. I have seen all of these things occur on sherdog.

There is nothing wrong with blue collar work. Nothing at all. But if you are stuck in that job, unwillingly, because you failed out of junior college, you don’t get to lecture people on the finer points of the Cobb-Douglas production function just because you read something about it on Wikipedia.

13. bean88 Green Belt

Exactly <45>

Kendodsworth likes this.
  14. Lubaolong A natural consequence of gamma radiation

Not everyone is capable of achieving the same things in life. It is what it is. I don’t have disdain for these people, but I’m obviously in a better position than they are.

15. drstrangelov Hey.

I’m not inclined to look down on anybody for their jobs. One of my neighbors is a contractor, tradesman who started his own business he’s living in a million dollar home, can’t knock his earning ability at that point.

16. TapSnapBreak A Lion Never Roars After A Kill

I don't look down on no one unless she's giving me head .

17. n...not crazy Silver Belt

Gotta drag my ass up to Vascalidas every day this week

-Magua- likes this.
  18. Vergilius Brown Belt

Hell no, my own dad worked at a shipwright back when we still built things in my country and, also, I grew up listening to Springsteen so if anything I find the blue collar world almost old-world romantic.

Had a few blue-collar type jobs when I was a student myself and actually had a pretty good time doing it.

19. Cpt Migraine Never out of likes..

I delivered your mail..
    I moved your furniture..
    I picked your order from the shelf..
    I've done your dishes on a cruise ship..
    I did your asphalt drive way..
    I cleaned the construction site..
    I did the demolition at the construction site..
    I was an apprentice carpenter..
    I was a carpenter..
    I was a foreman..
    I went to school..

You fucking losers.. how can one even consider working with your hands.. just lol..

Just kidding..

I miss being a carpenter.. now i'm a site manager in big scale construction.. i deal with so much bullshit and politics.. i need to lick and intimidate asses.. i own all the bad news..

If i were younger i would prefer being the carpenter version of myself but a person can only feel and suffer from that much stress.. either you "decide" your work is worth being a priority or you don't.. if you're gonna stress about it you might just go for the pot of gold..

That said i'd rather cut off a finger than disrespecting honest work..

20. Bald1 War Room Can

A quote from one of my customers who runs several chiro clinics and has a bunch of rental properties:

I needed a good lawyer, doctor, accountant and plumber. Now I'm all set.

I'm not an accountant nor am I a doctor or lawyer so felt pretty odd being included in that group, but if he values my services so highly I'll take the compliment. Blue collar workers keep the world running, so if people look down on us then they're clueless. It's not a glamorous life, but very few careers are regardless of what some boneheads on social media will try to play at. My trade offers me freedoms and decent money without being a slave so I'll happily take the opportunities it affords me.

Mike likes this.