do you like to do certain techniques without the gi that should be more effective..

B

blanko

with the gi and vise a versa? I really like to overhook/wizzer the arm of my opponent when he is in my guard (any kind; butterfly/full/half) but i am not that good with the overhook when i do gi. In theory it should be more effective with the gi because it sets up the gi choke beautifully... anyone else have something like this?

grab the far lapel, it will help keep the overhook nice and tight.... but you already no that, because you said it sets up the gi choke beautifully, now i am confused... what's your problem with it?

on a side note, i am more effective with the rubber guard in the gi than no-gi

grab the far lapel, it will help keep the overhook nice and tight.... but you already no that, because you said it sets up the gi choke beautifully, now i am confused... what's your problem with it?

no problem, i just think it's funny that i am much more effective in no gi with the overhook than with the gi...

no problem, i just think it's funny that i am much more effective in no gi with the overhook than with the gi...

I see what you are saying, but I wish I had your problem. I can't seem to keep a hold of that overhook without the gi. I blame it on my skinny arms but the real answer is I'm doing something wrong because the guy usually pulls his arm out.

there're a ton of techniques that i do in no gi that are much more difficult to pull off in gi. you need to be more mobile and creative with defense in no gi. no gi > gi IMO

The things I like in nogi that you can't get nearly as easily with gi are arm triangles (brabo/darce/anaconda etc) and the overhook game. It's much easier to get those with no-gi.

I try to keep my game as consistent as possible from gi to no-gi, and visa versa.

there're a ton of techniques that i do in no gi that are much more difficult to pull off in gi. you need to be more mobile and creative with defense in no gi. no gi > gi IMO

:icon_chee!!

Alot of my subs in no-gi don't translate to gi very well (as Zankou mentioned the guillotines).

Since I've started training in the gi I've been trying to stick to techniques that I can apply in both (whilst learning sport specific techniques, I try not to base my game around them). I don't know how effective this approach is in the long run though.

I see what you are saying, but I wish I had your problem. I can't seem to keep a hold of that overhook without the gi. I blame it on my skinny arms but the real answer is I'm doing something wrong because the guy usually pulls his arm out.

i will tell you what i do.. Instead of grabbing my opponents arm with my bicep.. i press my forehand against my opponent's chest with the arm that i am overhooking with. Don't know why it works.. it just does...

Iirc, Baret Yoshida likes to take an overhook, then grab his non-overhook wrist with the overhooking hand and push the non-overhooking hand (or both if you can) on the opponent's chest/shoulder on the side of the overhook. I've tried it out and it helps me control the opponent quite well without the gi. I suck at working with overhooks with the gi. I'll stick with holding the collar and sleeves.

Back