Do You Like Mauro Ranallo?

I used to find him annoying but he grew on me. He also seems like a legit good dude.

10+ years ago when he was a newb and still had some degree of modesty about his commentating I found him one of the better ones; today he's completely unbearable and possibly the worst MMA commentator around (judging that his shrill squawks will have me immediately reaching for the mute button faster than any other commentator I can think of).

Mauro knows and loves the sport as it existed during Pride. But his understanding of the sport hasn't meaningfully evolved since then.

I suppose he often does an okay at getting excited during excited moments, but he's largely unbearable. He belongs in WWE.

I know it’s poor form to judge people on their appearance but he just looks weird to me. And his voice isn't much better either.

I love his enthusiasm. Honestly one of my favorites MMA commentators. Better than dipshits like Cruz or idiots like Cormier.

I've seen a lot of threads over the years on various broadcasting teams for Pride, UFC and Bellator. It seems many of them are polarizing, either loved or hated - Cruz, Bisping, Rogan, Cormier, McCarthy are some examples.

In general, I don't mind him calling fights, but he always seems to have these really cringey one-liners.

Tonight, as Phil Davis was molesting Yoel Romero, Mauro Ranallo said:

"Davis is treating Romero like a newborn baby treats a diaper."

View attachment 880506

How do my fellow Sherbros feel about him?
I liked him with Bas in Pride. He was ok in Strikeforce but he has gotten worse over the years.

I love him. Knows and loves the sport, sure he's a little over the top but it doesn't bother me personally. Him and Jimmy Smith are the best in the business IMO.

Mauro is an OG and a true fan of the sport...love him.

10+ years ago he was great.

However his schtick has gotten old with him screeching about the slightest fucking thing every ten seconds.

mauro has a great voice,better than goldie,unbiased unlike rogaine,not annoying like cornyier,not as boring as Felder( jk I like Felder). I think Annik and Mauro would be the dream team !

He is okay, I like Stephen Quadros a lot better as a commentator and they have a similar style though Quadros is less bombastic.

Same. And thats my main problem with Mauro, everything is hyperbolic. He also gets a bit flowery and talks over the play by play commentary. That said he is light years better then Frank Trigg or DC. I have been listening to him for years and years now, so he is as familiar as Rogan. For me, the best commentary duo was Rutten and Quardos... and its not even close.

I like him. It all comes down to whether his voice annoys you or not. I like listening to him.

I also like Michael Schiavello.

Same. And thats my main problem with Mauro, everything is hyperbolic. He also gets a bit flowery and talks over the play by play commentary. That said he is light years better then Frank Trigg or DC. I have been listening to him for years and years now, so he is as familiar as Rogan. For me, the best commentary duo was Rutten and Quardos... and its not even close.

Quadros' nickname The Fight Professor is a good one. I can remember a bunch of fights he called in Pride and Strikeforce where he predicted what was about to happen with high accuracy. I agree having Bas with him was a great team for the hype and perspective from a former fighter.

Back