Do you know anyone that got royally screwed by a divorce?

Oh, it's definitely very hard to go against the 'what's best for the children' argument, non biological parents have been forced to pay child support under that premise. It just so happen that what's best for them is also best for the custodial parent. Funny how you said 'money that could go to diapers and school supplies'. Because child support money don't go to the children, it goes to the spouse. All you can do is prey that they uses you money on your children the way you would like to and not themselves. It's also 'what's best for the children' that visitation rights are enforced yet it rarely ever is. Withhold payment though and see what happens.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm sharing how I see things.

I 100% agree with you. It's extremely easy to take advantage of child support. I will concede that women have the advantage because I do truly think it's easier for them to argue for custody (even if both work similar schedules) thus enabling them to get child support.

I'm just against a lot of the ignorance and faulty logic on here in regards to divorce. The other issue that is laughable that comes up is people whining about the amount of $ that goes to child support. You can have someone who makes $500k w/ a big child support payment, and people say, "this is so unfair!! a child doesn't need that much to live". It's as if all child support payments should be equal regardless of income. The idea is that the child, viewed as an innocent victim in the divorce, can maintain the lifestyle prior to the divorce. There is no reason someone who makes $500k should be paying the same as someone who makes $50k.

I 100% agree with you. It's extremely easy to take advantage of child support. I will concede that women have the advantage because I do truly think it's easier for them to argue for custody (even if both work similar schedules) thus enabling them to get child support.

I'm just against a lot of the ignorance and faulty logic on here in regards to divorce. The other issue that is laughable that comes up is people whining about the amount of $ that goes to child support. You can have someone who makes $500k w/ a big child support payment, and people say, "this is so unfair!! a child doesn't need that much to live". It's as if all child support payments should be equal regardless of income. The idea is that the child, viewed as an innocent victim in the divorce, can maintain the lifestyle prior to the divorce. There is no reason someone who makes $500k should be paying the same as someone who makes $50k.
I agree that child support should be based on salary. But the whole thing is a big travesty. Take rearnakedchoke's story for example. If the guy can't pay his ex's child school, he goes to prison. If he can't pay his own child's school. Meh, nobody cares.

Child support transform a parent into a cash cow. The system says: 'We don't care if you see your child, you don't even get to say how you money is spent (on your child). But if you don't/can't pay, you go to prison!' From that perspective, it's slavery, pure and simple. You are stripped from you parental rights. You work and see nothing from it, unless you spouse feels like it (better cross you fingers).

I agree that child support should be based on salary. But the whole thing is a big travesty. Take rearnakedchoke's story for example. If the guy can't pay his ex's child school, he goes to prison. If he can't pay his own child's school. Meh, nobody cares.

Child support transform a parent into a cash cow. The system says: 'We don't care if you see your child, you don't even get to say how you money is spent (on your child). But if you don't/can't pay, you go to prison!' From that perspective, it's slavery, pure and simple. You are stripped from you parental rights. You work and see nothing from it, unless you spouse feels like it (better cross you fingers).

In regards to his story, I take that with more than a grain of salt. As I said, I see a lot of people talk about what happened in their divorce, I'll pull the file, and they weren't even close to telling what really happened. I really can't fathom that story being accurate.

On the second paragrpah, there is set custody, and if it's violated, you file contempt of court. You also don't "see nothing from it (your pay)". People exaggerate the child support obligations - it's very formulated. The area I do agree with you on is monitoring what child support goes to. I really think that is something that should be looked into further. I'm not sure it's practical to have accounting for all divorces with child support, but it would help better monitor if an adjustment needs made to the child support worksheet.

Anyways - that's about all that I have to say on this topic. I'm about to get off work, and I don't plan on spending my Friday night + weekend talking about divorce!

Fair enough Sir. Appreciated the discussion.

This is the case where the man had to pay alimony which exceeded his income. He even had to pay out of his retirement fund. Crazy stuff

This appeal is one of several brought by Charles B. Bruce, Jr. (husband) arising out of the dissolution of his marriage to Jane Doe (wife). The present dispute raises the issue whether an obligor spouse’s retirement funds in a plan subject to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), 29 U.S.C.

My (ongoing) divorce story, you guys be the judge on if I'm getting a raw deal in some areas. ..

I discovered wife was having an affair, she then takes off with our daughter to the guys house in a drunken fit while I was away. I try to get an emergency order of protection to get my daughter which was denied but set for hearing. Upon hearing of this the wife goes to police and alledges that I sexually assaulted her 2 months prior and got an order of protection of her own against me. I had evidence proving my innocence and both orders were thrown out at the hearing where she had a pretty good meltdown.

A GAL (guardian ad litem) was assigned to our cases as we were fighting over custody and with wifeys second courtroom meltdown and the GALs assesment if the situatio I have had temporary sole custody since november 2012...here is where I think I'm getting hosed.....

I took on about 90% of the marital debt, only recieved two child support checks, while she disobeys/does not abide court orders (KIDS class, financial reports)

We recieved about $7500 in settlement checks, rather than it being awarded to me to cover back child support the judge decides that we split $3000 and the rest is reserved to pay the IRS (she screwed me on taxes that are just now getting ammended) and pay the GAL whom she has not paid at all since the retainer.

On top of that I have to pay for half of the cost of her supervised visits. What I find frustrating is that I feel that I'm getting punished when I've not done a thing wrong (I know there's always two sides to the story) and she keeps getting a break despite being a legit lunatic

My (ongoing) divorce story, you guys be the judge on if I'm getting a raw deal in some areas. ..

I discovered wife was having an affair, she then takes off with our daughter to the guys house in a drunken fit while I was away. I try to get an emergency order of protection to get my daughter which was denied but set for hearing. Upon hearing of this the wife goes to police and alledges that I sexually assaulted her 2 months prior and got an order of protection of her own against me. I had evidence proving my innocence and both orders were thrown out at the hearing where she had a pretty good meltdown.

A GAL (guardian ad litem) was assigned to our cases as we were fighting over custody and with wifeys second courtroom meltdown and the GALs assesment if the situatio I have had temporary sole custody since november 2012...here is where I think I'm getting hosed.....

I took on about 90% of the marital debt, only recieved two child support checks, while she disobeys/does not abide court orders (KIDS class, financial reports)

We recieved about $7500 in settlement checks, rather than it being awarded to me to cover back child support the judge decides that we split $3000 and the rest is reserved to pay the IRS (she screwed me on taxes that are just now getting ammended) and pay the GAL whom she has not paid at all since the retainer.

On top of that I have to pay for half of the cost of her supervised visits. What I find frustrating is that I feel that I'm getting punished when I've not done a thing wrong (I know there's always two sides to the story) and she keeps getting a break despite being a legit lunatic

I think you're getting the short end of the stick.

System is fucked when the person doing the cheating still gets "half" of whatever you have. It doesn't make sense why it rewards these type of people.

Watch that Bill Buur skit about golddiggers. It's true what he's saying and funny as hell.

Good luck with your divorce. Stay strong broski.

man, young people still get married these days!!
I am married. But I am also older.

My dad... To be fair he brought it onto himself. When he was married to my mom, he would work just enough to qualify for unemployment so he can get fired or let go on purpose then sit on his ass until it run out.
Whole time he's on his ass, he would demand everybody in the house to do as he say or he'll raise hell and make everybody life miserable. He also drink.

Once my mom finally divorced him, he suddenly realized that he cannot treat his family like crap and get away with it. Unfortunately his answer to problem is to drink like hell.

Irony? My mom never ever tried to get anything from him. Not even children support. Yet my dad wind up living in a really shitty motel and trying to pull his woeful life together.
Unfortunately he eventually lose his leg then few years later passed away from heavy drinking and still downright bitter toward my mom and his current wife who was separated, heading toward a divorce.

I remember going through his letters to try find his best friend's address. Found a letter he wrote to his wife, he was still fighting with her AND my mom over something that happened years ago!

He definitely screwed himself hard on this one.

Thanks. I laughed so hard. I didn't mean to, but I just couldn't help it.

Women always get the lions share.

This is common knowledge & a good reason not to get married.

I got Royally screwed when my GF divorced her Ex , still getting royally screwed.

I have no complaints

Sounds like you got primary custody of the kids and she only gets supervised visits.

That is great.

In terms of the finances, most states don't care how bad of a spouse your ex was. They get what they are "entitled" to in terms of martial assets. Texas and Georgia are exceptions I believe, where unfaithfulness is factored in.

Sounds like you got primary custody of the kids and she only gets supervised visits.

That is great.

In terms of the finances, most states don't care how bad of a spouse your ex was. They get what they are "entitled" to in terms of martial assets. Texas and Georgia are exceptions I believe, where unfaithfulness is factored in.

Thing is that I am being stuck with what she was supposed to cover and despite getting court orders the judge keeps giving her more time, which means more money for me to pay my lawyer.

Funny thing in the case I'll share, her second (of three) lawyers she's had was a convicted prostitute, easy on the eyes and a cheap one at that, I would post pics but don't know an easy way from my phone so just google Reema Bajaj. There are supposedly nudes out there but I couldn't find them

Me. I let her have everything but my clothes.

The way I see it, that shit can all be replaced (and has been by now).

old guy from my town married a dominican woman. right after coming here that lazy leach made his live a living hell. now they're divorced and he has to maintain her and ther grown ass daughter.

Are you saying it's her fault she died?

She was probably telling the driver to speed to get away from the photographers. People want to be famous but don't want the attention that goes with it. Diana was a gold digger pure and simple.

My elder brother got screwed by "a marriage"
his wife made him hate his own familly,he talks to nobody and just whine how everyone hates him.He even throw our mom and 2 sisters from the house ( i really was going to kill him when i heard that), I'm sheltering them now.

She was probably telling the driver to speed to get away from the photographers. People want to be famous but don't want the attention that goes with it. Diana was a gold digger pure and simple.

So you think she deserves to die. You're on team paparazzi.

If I paid for the house and had to give it up in a divorce, I would seriously consider burning it down. Nothing annoys me more than giving up something you worked hard for.

Does that really happens ?

Back