Do you know anyone that got royally screwed by a divorce?

Yeah.

The guy lost EVERYTHING, not just that but her new husband that she cheated on him with is pretty rich so it was a major slap in the face.

Pretty crazy.

usually both people and the kids get royally screwed in divorce. neither partner will have enough money to live the same lifestyle for some time. and unless the guy is real life rich the former housewife/stay-at-home mom will have to get a crappy job

I've never understood if a woman cheats on the man or vice versa in the marriage then files divorce, how the heck do they get alimony.
I have a buddy who got married, she already had a kid. She cheated on him and they got divorced. She got everything and he has to pay child support for the kid that isn't even his. He's tried fighting it in court a couple of times but loses every time and they won't award him visitation.

yeah i swear women are too fucking naive in some situations. like when i told my wife this damn male nurse from her hospital was trying to get in her panties she was all "hes just a friend. he isnt like that." until he tried to kiss her and she bugged the fuck out. she was shocked. he moved on to some other married nurse. got her pregnant and divorced and the ex beat the piss out of him and put him in his own fucking e.r.

i like to call that "karma".

Great story.

Yeah. My uncle is being completely destroyed. Don't marry a **** seems like such simple advice. People change but not that much. If she's an angry pseudofeminist at 35, she's only going to get worse.

Despite all the horrors we see guys prepare to get married every day of the year/ The only time a guy should mary is if the women is significantly richer

I've seen no gay marriage discussed here at all.

She didn't just lose a hand, she lost her WHOLE LIFE. That's getting ROYALLY fucked over.

She wouldn't be dead if she had just retired in Montana and settled for some fly fishing. She took a path that was quite the opposite.

I have no particular sympathy for her situation. The whole fascination with royals and celebrity is idiotic IMHO.

Enginekid reference was for conspiracy

She wouldn't be dead if she had just retired in Montana and settled for some fly fishing. She took a path that was quite the opposite.

I have no particular sympathy for her situation. The whole fascination with royals and celebrity is idiotic IMHO.

Lol. I couldn't stand Diana, saw right through her woe is me martyr shit immediately. Americans seemed to love her though.

How did it get like this? How did the laws get so screwy? A marriage is very similar to a business partnership. If the business fails one partner wouldn't be expected to pay the other an amount equal to their 'high time'.

I get that it's trickier with kids involved, but really, all these stories about alimony and having to pay for the house that she lives in while you get relegated to a bachelor pad in a shitty apartment?

The laws aren't really that screwy in regards to it. Most people just don't understand them or the reasoning behind them. It all relates to the status quo at the time of the marriage. If a husband decides for his wife to be a stay at home mom and/or "homemaker", the attorney for the wife can easily make the argument that he's hurt her career prospects. That really isn't an outlandish claim either. Years of not working does translate to a less promising outlook for earning potential. The husband has to make up that difference. When kids are involved, it's all about maintaining the status quo. If the husband was earning $100k and the wife was a stay at home mom, the idea is that the children can maintain a lifestyle somewhat similar to a $100k household.

People can bitch and moan all they want about divorce, but the bottom line is that it relates to enabling the wife to stay at home and not earn shit. You are basically saying to the judge that prior to the divorce, the wife was better suited to take care of the kids. Prior to the divorce, you were basically saying to your wife "honey, you don't need to work, I can take care of us for the rest of your life". The burden is now on you to prove why that should change.

tl/dr: Tell your wife to get a job.

Are you saying it's her fault she died?

^ Good post (edit: too slow, meant Oblivian's)

Reading some of the stories, I'm wondering why there are not more murders related to bad divorces. Or people who just leave it all behind and move to another country etc. If your life is really fucked, why not take the risk ?

I know someone who got divorced and had to sell everything so it can be split up with his ex. He made good money and got married. 2 years later after he caughtt her cheating she got the divorce papers out. So now hes not only paying child support but also alimony because the bitch got used to living the high life. I feel sorry for him hes a really good hearted person now hes paying for the bitchs everything and also her current boyfriend

It's pretty damn unusual for a dude to be paying alimony and child support after only 2 years of marriage if he has proof of infidelity.

But yeah, divorce is usually pretty financially ruinous.

I watched one of those prison shows where some dudes wife took 100% (wtf!) of his wages and since he couldn't afford to pay that kind of alimony (no fucking shit) he was thrown in jail. Then by the end of the episode she decided to have another meeting between their two lawyers, but the after credits mentioned she decided not to in the end so he was thrown right back in the slammer. I honestly wonder what kind of judge would ever award something like that, scary to think that's possible.

I watched one of those prison shows where some dudes wife took 100% (wtf!) of his wages and since he couldn't afford to pay that kind of alimony (no fucking shit) he was thrown in jail. Then by the end of the episode she decided to have another meeting between their two lawyers, but the after credits mentioned she decided not to in the end so he was thrown right back in the slammer. I honestly wonder what kind of judge would ever award something like that, scary to think that's possible.

Sounds like BS but that's fucked up for sure if true. Fucking bitches, man.

The laws aren't really that screwy in regards to it. Most people just don't understand them or the reasoning behind them. It all relates to the status quo at the time of the marriage. If a husband decides for his wife to be a stay at home mom and/or "homemaker", the attorney for the wife can easily make the argument that he's hurt her career prospects. That really isn't an outlandish claim either. Years of not working does translate to a less promising outlook for earning potential. The husband has to make up that difference. When kids are involved, it's all about maintaining the status quo. If the husband was earning $100k and the wife was a stay at home mom, the idea is that the children can maintain a lifestyle somewhat similar to a $100k household.

People can bitch and moan all they want about divorce, but the bottom line is that it relates to enabling the wife to stay at home and not earn shit. You are basically saying to the judge that prior to the divorce, the wife was better suited to take care of the kids. Prior to the divorce, you were basically saying to your wife "honey, you don't need to work, I can take care of us for the rest of your life". The burden is now on you to prove why that should change.

tl/dr: Tell your wife to get a job.
lol I love how you're trying to twist things so that it looks like the husband basically commanded the wife to stay home. I don't know what kind of environment you live in but all the stay at home mom I know are there because THEY decided to, absolutely love it and their partners are certainly not about to tell them what to do. They didn't have much of a career in the 1st place either.

I agree that stay at home parents should be compensated, but please don't make it sound like they were systematically forced there by their partners.

Back