Do you know any inept long-time wrestlers?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by judoka loca, Nov 7, 2020.

1. judoka loca Training to eventually grapple a bear

It had to be done, someone had to make one representing wrestling.

2. judoka loca Training to eventually grapple a bear

I think as opposed to judo and BJJ, which, while competitive, are still "hobbyist" sports, it's much harder to be in wrestling for several years and not at least be decent. Wrestling seems to weed people out.

I've seen it done though. Kids at my high school who either showed up for practice once in a blue moon, or went there just to mess around, they technically "wrestled for several years" and were still dogshit.

dimmyfinster likes this.
  3. ChickenBrother JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT

Me again.

My inept HS wrestling is still the base of my grappling but the good news is that I'm equally dogshit at wrestling, Judo and BJJ so everything just blends into one well-rounded game of complete dogshit technique.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    AZ103, zeli_papa, Old Man and 9 others like this.
  4. Peteyandjia Autumn Chow Staff Member Forum Administrator

Damn son, your double looks more like two halves.

You couldn’t pick an ankle out of a lineup.

Where’dja get yer singlet, from a cracker jack box??

5. Coconutwater Brown Belt

When I was a teenager wrestling and so on, you couldn’t flake, you either did stairs for penance or got cut.

Dunno how it is now though.

6. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

I am objectively terrible at wrestling considering how long I have been training, but I am also much better than I used to be.

7. Hellowhosthat Silver Belt

I've been training as part of my BJJ for a while now but we don't do it as kids and I reckon I'd probably get trashed by 14 year olds at a US high school meet, so probably me.

8. Pierced7681 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Depends where you live. Tons of shit tier former high school wrasslers in Canada for example. All our best athletes play hockey, which takes place at the same time as wrestling season.

winterbike likes this.
  9. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

Cool thing about Canadian wrestling, though, is that instead of the stupid Title IX garbage, they just have women's wrestling teams. That's awesome. Way better way to do it.

Pierced7681 likes this.
  10. ArtemV Gold Belt

Me, lmao nah, I'm not that bad.

At my gym, there are a few good wrestlers from other republics, so it is kinda hard for them to be inept. They have had various levels of success, but none of them are bad.

I have trained at some clubs in Scotland and England during vacation, and their 'long-time' guys aren't.. they just wrestle different, and not in such a good way imo.

11. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

I'm kinda the same way. My years of wrestling definitely built the foundation for grappling. I am a hard learner and a lot of my main offense in grappling is stuff that I was able to comprehend and execute because of my wrestling background. Certainly, all my standing entries are to me, an extension of my wrestling. And in terms of things like top control, wrestling paid huge dividends.

Point being, without wrestling, I would be way, way worse of than I am, even if I didn't do so great as a wrestler. In fact, in wrestling, my only gold medal was at JV, winning conference. Although, I worked my butt off for all my other medals, which were uniformly bronze, so I have no shame there (other than the fact that I froze and underperformed a lot, but hey, I was a teenager).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    ChickenBrother likes this.
  12. Daz2300 Orange Belt

13. Os3y3ris Purple Belt

*Raises hand.

I actually am a shit wrestler.

14. ChickenBrother JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT

I think the tenacity, conditioning emphasis and top control you learn in HS wrestling are very difficult for hobbyist grapplers to replicate, even if we're talking about .50 wrestlers like myself who barely squeaked out a varsity spot and was lucky to go 1-2 at big tournaments. I rarely stood on the podium and if I did, it was only ever silver or bronze (usually bronze) at small tourneys. Senior year I took 2nd at varsity league finals (8 schools) only because everyone good at 140 had dropped down to 132 and the toughest guy at my weight was an up and coming sophomore who became a heavy hitter over the next 2 years. He beat me 4-2 in the final by riding me out in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

But IMO the competition aspect of doing tourneys or dual meets every week during the season pays dividends later in any other style of grappling.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Kforcer likes this.
  15. nefti Silver Belt

Most "long time wrestlers" are professional/semi pros. A long time wrestler would be someone who wrestled in college.

16. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

You definitely have people who keep training and compete at open tournaments and adult freestyle tournaments. It isn't uncommon to see high school coaches doing so, for example. Generally, the people who compete at states in adult freestyle aren't the D-1 collegiate wrestlers or Olympic hopefuls. That is part of the reason why some more successful wrestlers look a little askance at people who win or place in states as adults.

ChickenBrother and Normot like this.
  17. ChickenBrother JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT

+1

I did club freestyle and Judo in college, then continued in low level adult freestyle and greco tourneys until 3 or 4 years after college.

My record in adult freestyle was abysmal, way under .50. Did better in adult greco because the talent pool was much smaller and I didn't have to worry about superior athletes shooting in on me.

But no matter how dogshit I was, I loved training and competing, and getting my ass kicked just made me want to go back and train harder.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Kforcer likes this.
  18. SilvaLegacy Blue Belt

When i wrestled if you werent at practice every day, they were on you hardcore, there were no kids showing up "once in a blue moon"

ChickenBrother likes this.
  19. nefti Silver Belt

We have to clarify something:
    What do you mean by long time wrestler?

A person who has been a competitive wrestler since jr high and wrestled in hs and college?

Or some guy who was a half assed highschool wrestet who did grappling/bjj and calls himself a "wrestler"?

20. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

I wouldn't say it was quite as big a deal for JV wrestlers, but for sure if you were on varsity and skipped a practice, the whole team was going to pay. I guess with JV wrestlers coming late or missing practice, they'd probably be punished but it wasn't going to be the whole team in the same way.