Do you keep your training secret?

I'm semi-picky about who I talk about it with. I just want to avoid the stupid questions and blind assumptions that are associated with it. I like when people just think I lift weights or something, its funny for some unknown reason. Sometimes I use it to fish with people for reactions, or if I think they might be actually interested in a good way about the subject I may try to say something.

I haven't reallly ever received much ridicule for it though, just don't talk to "bros" about it or anyone with an obnoxious personality.

It's something I would only mention if it comes up in conversation. Close friends and family know. Even if it gets brought up, I won't demonstrate anything. It is nice to know that if someone starts something and I've evaluated the situation to pose relative little risk (i.e. number of friends equal, no obvious weapons around etc), I won't be afraid.

On a related note, is it just me or is it that TMA non-sparring guys rely on talk to intimidate, probably because they don't have the confidence to fall back on their ability (because it's really untested)?

i talk about bjj. people know i do it. people who want to learn it have come and asked me about it. i spread the good word about the academy i train at, other ones in this area, how i got into it, etc etc.

i don't get much fanboy bs responses, the usual question i always get is: "how do you have time to do that"

I rarely, rarely mention it. Most of the time it just results in "YOU FIGHT IN CAGES BRO???" or "YEAH I WAS GONNA GET INTO THAT BUT I'M SOOOO BUSY JERKING OFF/PLAYING HALO THAT I DON'T HAVE 2 FREE HOURS TWICE A WEEK"

That is one of my mates exactly :p

I don't actively go out of my way and tell people but with Facebook, heaps of people know anyway. Then I get the "oh you train UFC" comments :p Interestingly, an old smart arse acquaintance wasn't so much of a smart arse last time I saw him? :)

I don't mention anything for a few reasons. What if one of your co-workers wants to beat the crap outta you? You've gotta surprise that mother fucker with double leg takedowns and armbars. No one knows I wrestle since I'm a scrawny Asian kid.

Well, people are going to ask me what I do in my free time, so if I give them an honest answer it's either I tell them about this or I tell them I play Tekken. If I don't feel like talking I just say Tekken and they say "oooohhh" and we can start talking about the last time we got drunk or "fucking bitches" or whatever it is guys like to talk about at parties.

On the martial art front, in America I tell people I do karate, which isn't a lie, and in Japan I tell people I do Judo, which isn't a lie either. After some practice you learn the least painful most efficient way to describe your hobbies. If I can find someone at a party who is generally into fight science it's a good night.

Yes, necro-post but reading the thread was thought provoking to me. Outside of my wife and 1 co-worker who actually trains, I don't tell anybody. Even my brothers don't know what I'm up to. I overheard my wife talking to the neighbor saying, "...oh he's going out to his Karate class..." I cringe but keep my mouth shut.

I work for a state mental health facility with people of various degrees of hostile mental deficiencies(mental patients). We have 1 worker, the type that wears the TAPOUT gear and talks a little to loudly & often about the last UFC fight. Yeah "that guy". He's more than willing to show his skills whenever the opportunity presents itself. However, much to his chagrin, he's now the guys they always call whenever a patient is acting-up or possibly ready to go off. People come to watch him work and that is not necessarily always a good thing.

After more than 15 yrs in this business, I'd rather lie in the cut, stay under the radar & handle my business. I'm perfectly happy letting the patients wonder how the #*@^ I did that after I handle them. I had a few people ask me if I knew "something" and my standard reply is, "I only use the approved technique that the state has trained me in".

Once we're in the elevator me & my co-worker are high fiveing each other and giggling about the sweep, throw, or the hard elbow that unfortunately slipped out during the take-down.

Sorry brah, shit happens in the heat of battle.

Once we're in the elevator me & my co-worker are high fiveing each other and giggling about the sweep, throw, or the hard elbow that unfortunately slipped out during the take-down.

Sorry brah, shit happens in the heat of battle.

Bit unprofessional, no?

I don't go around bragging and kicking up shit about it...but I do let people know. I'm a teacher and half mu classroom is decorated w bjj and the students see my thi gs and iask about it. When my co workers ask what I have planned for the wkend and its tournament time..I tell em. I see it as me helping the sport grow by telling people about it

Similar to what most people have said, I try not to go out of my way to bring it up in conversation but I won't avoid the topic if it's broached.

I guess jiu-jitsu would be pretty useful if you had to work around the mentally ill or disabled all day. It would help you deal with the 'tard strength...

Last edited:
I don't keep it a secret. I don't go out and force it down people's throats, but everyone I know and most that I meet find out that I train. And oddly I haven't been accused of "training UFC", even though I do a lot of MMA as well as BJJ, judo, and Muai Thai.

Granted, my cauliflower ears kind of give it away. If I denied training, I'd have to pretend it is a birth defect to those who inquire about them.

People know I train and compete. They don't know the specifics of the sport or anything so it's usually "Do you get to punch the other guy?" "yes, sometimes"

I train with a co worker so it's a bit more open now.

But it also helps to explain weird behaviour like not having huge lunches like evryone else cos you're trying to make weight etc

i rarely, rarely mention it. Most of the time it just results in "you fight in cages bro???" or "yeah i was gonna get into that but i'm soooo busy jerking off/playing halo that i don't have 2 free hours twice a week"

lmfao!

And in regards to the thread, i occasionally wear tournament shirts, or Team shirts. Mostly because im cheap, and broke, and they were free.

If asked, ill talk about it.

Lately however, ive been talking to people about it, mostly to increase traffic to the academy. Im assisting with the Kids team, and like to help out my instructor by adding new students when i can.

So i guess i do talk about it an awful lot. Then again, with the way my ears have been flaring up, ive noticed ive been asked about "UFC Training" a few times in the last couple days.

Last edited:
I totally keep it under wraps as much as possible.

If pressed I just say I go to exercise classes. ..and to those who do find out and start asking questions I just tell them I'm still learning the basics so dont really know much. The gebuine people eventuall reveal themselves and you can have a better converrsation with them.

Haha even with a black eye I just explain it was an accident in the house.

I figure if I wanted them to know more I'd tell them. There will always be some moron out there who wants to see how 'tough' you are. We are always told to walk away from a fight where possible. Obviously not always possible though.....but as the saying goes , live to fight another day.

I talk about it like I talk about my job. If it comes up I'll discuss it, but I don't go out of my way to let people know.

my roomies know and my mom knows but my dad doesn't know. none of the rest of my family knows about it.

My parents really, really don't like my doing BJJ. It's not a secret that I still do it, but they don't want me talking about it around them or people they know :icon_neut

Back