Do you keep your training secret?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by stile0, Oct 28, 2010.

1. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

I was wondering if any of you out there keep your training secret from other people in your life. I wouldn't expect you to keep it from friends and family, but acquaintances are a different matter.

To me, training is my secret little hobby/therapy to keep me sane. I do wear my tournament shirts around in public, but I'm very hesitant to even mention anything about the gym/BJJ. I guess part of it is to avoid those "so you're a fighter?" questions and the other part is to keep it close to my heart. Anyone else feel this way?

2. village_idiot

village_idiot Blue Belt

I don't actively try to keep it a secret, but don't really mention it often because its ussually not relevant to anything.

There's people I barely know that know I train, and some people I've known for years that have no idea.

3. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

I try to keep it under wraps. I have a few guys who work for me that train and fight amateur MMA locally and that seems to be all they talk about. None of them actually train anywhere. They're just backyard brawlers. Come to think of it, I don't think they've ever won one of their MMA fights.:icon_lol: I just keep it to myself at work because I don't want them in my office every 5 minutes talking and asking about it. They've invited me to "train" with them but I've respectfully declined. Maybe when I get some color on my belt but until then I'll leave the chest beating and backyard brawling to the cro-mags.

4. ProdigyOfZen

ProdigyOfZen Orange Belt

honestly all you can ever really talk about with "most" guys in their 20s and even early 30's (i am mid 20s) is:

1) Banging chicks

2) Alcohol

3) Sports/movies

4) this is if you get to be part of the "exclusive" group at work, "making fun of everyone else who is not as cool or part of your exclusive group"

It is the same shit everyday never changes.

Then again I work in "high finance" so they say and most of the guys went to ivy league schools and are a bit snobby for my taste.

5. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Nah i don't keep it secret but don't talk about it either, gay jokes are everyday though, specially after a long session where i can barely walk. Well i can expect less when my hobby is rolling around with sweaty men.

6. All In The Game

All In The Game Green Belt

I rarely, rarely mention it. Most of the time it just results in "YOU FIGHT IN CAGES BRO???" or "YEAH I WAS GONNA GET INTO THAT BUT I'M SOOOO BUSY JERKING OFF/PLAYING HALO THAT I DON'T HAVE 2 FREE HOURS TWICE A WEEK"

7. ozyabbas

ozyabbas Purple Belt

Don't you just hate it when people say "so you do UFC".

8. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

I just don't talk about it because nobody at work would even be interested.

9. unlucky hero

unlucky hero Green Belt

i understand how people would keep it under wraps. but the only time i would pose it as a threat is if you say "oh yea, i train mma." you gotta pick how you say it and be discreet in talking about training and techniques.

10. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

No, I don't keep it secret. People I work with know I train. I have one guy who's thinking of coming down too. I want to grow the art here too, so that's the motive behind it.

Also, there's a different attitude towards martial arts here, since it's ingrained into the culture. Of course, it's mostly wushu and sanda, taiqi, etc. But people here are quite accepting of it, except for the roots of judo and jiu-jitsu being Japanese (most Chinese people are trained from a young age to hate the Japanese because of things that happened like 70 years ago, yet they love Japanese cars, cartoons/comics, and clothing styles:icon_conf).

Mostly the reaction I get is "Wow, that's hard. I don't think I can do that...".

11. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

I talk about BJJ and training all the time.

Why not talk about something I love?

12. Wandgun

Wandgun Orange Belt

My buddies know I do it. Mostly because I used to train with a coworker. Most of them make jokes about how I'm a cage fighter, or something about WWF. You always have your "rolling around with men" comments.

I think it's just jealousy...

13. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

Like alot of thing, I don't talk about it. Some people have one interesting thing going for them, and they milk it like it was the greatest thing in the history of the world. Staying modest is where it's at, so when people ask about you they get a hundred times more impresed. Fr'instance, I know people that have maybe one hobby, ut that shit takes over their life and befre you know it that's all they can talk about, and they aren't even that good or dedicated to it, rather front that work it.

14. Steeltwo

Steeltwo Green Belt

I'll talk about Judo WAAAAY more than bjj/no-gi. But I rarely bring it up to someone unless they talk about Karate or something of that nature.

Generally what I say is that I do Judo and Jiu Jitsu.

This one blond chick annoyed me when she said, oh that's that fake stuff isn't it?
    Stupid blond. Nice jugs though.....

15. johnkreese

johnkreese Brown Belt

Yes, especially at a party where everyone's drunk. Sometimes, it'll come out that I train -- like if someone asks me how I lost so much weight or something. I try to promote my gym when I can... but the last thing I'd want to do is promote at a bar, and have to deal with some drunken asshole who thinks I train UFC.

16. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

The only people that know are my family and good friends.
    I never mention it to anyone. Not because I'm embarassed but because I don't want a random "I can still kick your ass" tough guy in my face.

I don't learn martial arts to kick random ass at a bar, I learn it to better myself as a person.

17. mauasci

mauasci Orange Belt

I have no reason to keep my training a secret. I'm very proud of what I do. It's a healthy lifestyle.

18. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

I just don't know how to bring bjj up at the cocktail parties.....

19. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

If it comes up, then I will talk my ass off about it, both my years wrestling and the past year in BJJ.

But, I won't actively go around spouting it about.

20. AllKnowing

AllKnowing Knowledge is love and light and vision

Meh, I don't go out of my way to keep it a secret but I don't necessarily brag about it either. Like others have stated, most people don't care much about what others do unless they themselves are also passionate about that subject matter.

At work, if a co-worker sees me come in with a scar on my face or a black eye, they might inquire how I got it/them which I'll explain came from training. When I go into more detail explaining what exactly I train, and how, they usually lose interest.

For the most part, I keep it to myself unless it's somehow relevant to the conversation which it rarely is.