Do you jump for loud noises?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by ralphc1, Jun 9, 2017.

1. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

.There seem to be a large number of people who startle easily and react violently beating on anyone or anything nearby. Then there are people like me who exploit this at every chance we get. Some you have to catch by surprise when they aren't expecting it, then there are the ones who can watch someone light a firecracker and still jump when it goes off.

There are some theories like these:
    https://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_na1an0h6

Now the fun part. These are some mild ones.

mushishi likes this.
  2. Seraldo Babalu

Seraldo Babalu Green Belt

I've woken myself up from farting in my sleep

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    [email protected]&WW and Zer like this.
  3. Pwent

Pwent Guest

Yes, for years my wrestling team would always sneak attack each other and then it continued at one of the MMA gyms, so I was already jumpy as fuck

then when I was working at a restaurant a girl server threw something at me and my jumpy ass had cat like reflexes backhand swatting it away like mr miyaga wax off. Then everyone was impressed so they kept trying to catch me off guard 24/7. Made it a lot worse so now I live in constant defcon 1

Plus I watch too many movies so I hide various weapons (bats/lead pipes/brass knuckles/knives) near every doorway or set of windows in my house. Some in the open, some in a drawer or behind the couch etc

So I am the absolute worst person to try to scare prank in my house. I go from 0 to jihad in the blink of an eye

ICHEERTHEBULL, Malvo and steve38 like this.
  4. steve38

steve38 Black Belt

That's what happens after spending years waiting for someone to shoot you. I've a neighbor that slams his door hard AF each night between 11PM and midnight, while I'm focused on work...I know it's coming and I jump every time. I'm probably gonna end up killing that a-hole.

Grave Keeper and Pwent like this.
  5. ralphc1

I noticed watching Mythbusters that Adam Savage and Kari Byron love explosions but they jump every time one goes off.

We had one guy at work that spent quite a bit of time in the bathroom and somebody would throw a firecracker in. It got to the point that he would start hollering with just a match thrown in.

6. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

When i was little my dad would always grab me at random and it made me jumpy as fuck and i hate it when people touch me. Even my girl touching me drives me crazy (unless were....you know)

7. A.A. Riggs

A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

I AIN'T SCARED OF NOTHING, MOTHER FUCKER
    [​IMG]

Chesten_Hesten likes this.
  8. mushishi

mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

This was hilarious until dude scared guy while he was using the meat slicer. Not cool.

Man, those German dudes are on a whole other level. haha

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    ICHEERTHEBULL likes this.
  9. mushishi

mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

Y'all messed up! lol

10. RetiredSlave

RetiredSlave Black Belt

Never jump but Ill have a fraction of a second of being startled if something takes me completely by surprise quickly regaining my composure. Ive worked on being relaxed in chaotic situations since theyre easy to find in my line of work so that probably helps. If everything is a loud noise are loud noises still surprising?

11. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

yes... its good instinct. if you dont jump at loud noises somethings wrong with you.

12. Mongoosemk12

Mongoosemk12 Blue Belt

Dude, this had me crying laughing. Not sure why I found this so funny, but thank you and well done.

13. Grave Keeper

Grave Keeper ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

I jolt easily when the Imaginaries get to me.

14. jdionio

jdionio Blue Belt

Yeah, my PTSD makes it where I go try and find solid cover if I hear fireworks, something big fall over upstairs, etc.

Malvo likes this.
  15. Eazy123

Eazy123 Black Belt

Only when lightning split the tree about 40 feet from outside my bedroom window at 2am once. I never got so freaked out and got mad anxiety for months whenever I'd hear thunder.

Malvo likes this.
  16. ralphc1

Many people are just as bad in loud areas. They can't hear somebody coming and you either touch them and they jump or move to a position where they can see you and they jump.

RetiredSlave likes this.
  17. ralphc1

A little flinch at something unexpected is one thing but some people start flailing and seem to have no control of their body. Whenever we were lifting or moving something heavy I made sure the jumper were well clear because if something goes wrong, they can't get their shit together soon enough to get moving in the right direction.

One friends wife was telling that they were in a store and a child popped a balloon and her husband damn near went into convulsions and hollered loud enough for everyone in the store to hear.