Do you have to buy team's GI?

When I trained at Team Megaton, there was no official gi requirement, but if you didnt have a back patch you did 100 push ups before you could train that day. It was brutal but you made sure to have a back patch, lol. Pretty sure I paid $120 and bought my gi from the school, its an Atama with the us/brazil flag shoulder patches and its held up great despite the age... pretty much a collectors item now as you dont see em anymore.

My current school has no gi or patch requirements, but black/non-traditional gi's aren't allowed for classes and the instructor will smash you if you wear one for an open mat. I bought one of our school gi's for $120, its not any name brand but aside from the cord splitting its a nice, comfortable gi.

Last edited:
1st school I was at (Gracie Barra) must buy team Gi, rash guard and shorts. Instructor didn't really care if guests wore their team Gi.

School I am at now (Carlson Gracie) doesn't care what brand or patches are on your Gi. Instructor is sponsored by Kingz so we get pretty good pricing on them and I like them so that's what I wear. I have one with team patch and one without never was pressured to put the patch on but I had mine made custom by the instructor the way I wanted it and he didn't care.

Guest can show up NASCAR style with their team Gi and no one cares but if you do decide to join as a member they prefer you get a Gi with the team on it or a plain Gi with no affiliation.

I always refuse this shit, or to buy team patches.

Bruh, i wrote the literacy test in pencil when it says pen only or it will not be marked. I know no limits...

Bruh, i wrote the literacy test in pencil when it says pen only or it will not be marked. I know no limits...
37c.jpg

I don't like the idea, but by chance none of the gyms I've considered ever required it so I've never had to make the choice. It seems way to McDojo-esqe to me.

If considering a gym that required buying a gi, I'd take the price if the gi and amortize it over the 12 month contract, and see if that persuaded me to join another gym. You are looking at a $10 a month price hike (except you get a $70 gi - which you may or may not need.) If you needed a new gi, then I'd amortize the $50 over the year. ($120 gi - $70 that you could find anywhere= $50).

Another thing I wouldn't like is that I don't always wash my gi the night I get home. If I'm training two days in a row, I likely use a different gi the next day while the other gi is in the wash. So now I need to buy a second $120 gi? Now it gets even more expensive and annoying.

Agree completely, though I need to correct myself it's not "a lot of gyms" I've noticed with that requirement. A lot of gyms say no affiliation patches on a visiting gi (which I don't agree with, but can understand); it was just one gym I remember seeing with that requirement of a all plain white gi. Can't remember which one it was I was looking at that said that though, but am trying to find it now.
aoj

You can wear whatever the hell gi you want at my gym, as long as it's clean. The flashier / uglier the better.

Unless you are a white belt. White belts with shoyoroll are getting kob. Plain white blue or black for you.

I would not accept that. There are plenty of gi on the market and choosing the right one is a pleasure. Removing this aspect of the sport would be dulling BJJ.
I would consider training in a gym with such abusive policy if it was the only one in town, but if I have the choice it would be something I would factor in my decision (along with price, quality of instruction, proximity...).

The gi you wear tells a bit about your personality. Are you wearing a worn out judogi or a shoyoroll from the last batch? Are you wearing a plain white gi or something with weird colors?

Our gym has never done this, but I would not have a problem if they sold quality gi's at the same prices as you an get them online.

It sucks to have no-gi guys come train at gi class with no gi and their excuse is always "I dont have one" or it is dirty which is is not because it is never used

my place doesnt do it. once in awhile (esp after Saulo visits) things get more strict with patches and formalities but that always slowly dies off lol

my gym actually sells hyperfly and OTM gi's that arent too bad. i dont buy them tho.

I'm at an mma gym.
The owner of the gym has his own fight apparel and equipment company, you get a large % off if you're a member.
In training people doing gi at the gym wear whatever they want including gi's with patches from other (international) clubs.
Competitors wear the jj school's patches when the compete.

Back