Do you have savings to go without pay?

I’ve got a couple of months saved, like 2 or 3.

Not great, still battling back from student loans and being an idiot (Mostly my wife’s, sorry hun). I have a great retirement and other investments from previous jobs.

My first year and a bit of making decent money was used to pay off all of my debts. Currently working on the savings/emergency fund.

Not much, but enough to cover not working for a few months until long term injury leave kicks in at work.
It’s virtually impossible for me to get fired/laid off, so that’s one less stress I have to worry about.

I'm actually lucky that I get 3 paydays in January and had company stocks saved as I'll be paying minimum $2500 in vet bills for my cat next week. I didn't have to touch my savings so at least it happened at a more convenient time.

It's savings for a house deposit but I have abit over a years salary in cash.

Plus have a zero cost low interest overdraft facility I can call on if needed.

i have enough saved/invested to never work again
but i dont think i could ever stop working

I’ve had a cash fund since my mid-20s (I’m in my 40s now). I’m often bemused by peers a few years younger than me that complain they’re unable to save, unable to own a home, all because of “the economy”. It’s not the economy that made you buy a new BMW every 2 years, a new iPhone every 6 months, take 2 holidays a year and take out subscriptions to several different TV service providers.

No kidding. One of my co-workers recently bought himself another Audi, and by bought I mean he took out a loan to buy the damn thing. He's always complaining about his car payments, his insurance costs, and how the shitbox breaks down and leaves him with $1000 repair bills every month. I'm not even joking when I say his car costs him more money in a month than mine costs me in a year. Then add in his cellphone & its associated costs and that's another $2-3k down the drain every year. I mean what the fuck, his cellphone expenses are higher than my car expenses, and he wonders why he feels poor.

No kidding. One of my co-workers recently bought himself another Audi, and by bought I mean he took out a loan to buy the damn thing. He's always complaining about his car payments, his insurance costs, and how the shitbox breaks down and leaves him with $1000 repair bills every month. I'm not even joking when I say his car costs him more money in a month than mine costs me in a year. Then add in his cellphone & its associated costs and that's another $2-3k down the drain every year. I mean what the fuck, his cellphone expenses are higher than my car expenses, and he wonders why he feels poor.

It just blows my mind that otherwise rational, intelligent people can be so thick when it comes to simple maths.

Where all the YOLO folks at?

My company is going through a payroll transition, so we've had to suspend direct deposit for awhile.

I hate going to the bank and my checks are too big to use my phone.

There's three of them sitting on my desk... waiting to get get deposited.

playa...

Yep, F.I.R.E saver movement for the win. My wife, not so much.

I have enough to make it for a couple weeks. Lol at a savings account.

i have enough saved/invested to never work again
but i dont think i could ever stop working

I'm at the same point right now, I still work part time to set a good example for my kids and help out a friend's business.
Still haven't really decided what I'm going to do when my kids are older, might end up making one of my hobbies into a part time business.

I'm actually lucky that I get 3 paydays in January and had company stocks saved as I'll be paying minimum $2500 in vet bills for my cat next week. I didn't have to touch my savings so at least it happened at a more convenient time.

While I'd never dream of spending $2500 on a cat, I, nevertheless, feel obligated to inform you that sherdog now sets up GoFundMe accounts.

You should make a thread, like right meow.

Yes this is Sherdog.

If the average American only has 500 bucks in the bank. Your average sherdogger has 500,000

If the average American male 5'9" then your average Sherdogger is 6'5" with 5% body fat.

I just assume everyone is full of crap here.

While I'd never dream of spending $2500 on a cat, I, nevertheless, feel obligated to inform you that sherdog now sets up GoFundMe accounts.

You should make a thread, like right meow.
He has 2 infected teeth so I'd prefer he not suffer the rest of his life.

Yes this is Sherdog.

If the average American only has 500 bucks in the bank. Your average sherdogger has 500,000

If the average American male 5'9" then your average Sherdogger is 6'5" with 5% body fat.

I just assume everyone is full of crap here.
It's basically just survivorship bias. Manlets won't share their height, so we get a skewed view. Same goes for poor people and their bank accounts.

My company is going through a payroll transition, so we've had to suspend direct deposit for awhile.

I hate going to the bank and my checks are too big to use my phone.

There's three of them sitting on my desk... waiting to get get deposited.

playa...

Back before they started direct deposit, I'd often have 7 or 8 weeks of checks at work that I hadn't picked up yet.

broke.gif

Back