Do you have more respect for American Football players after Reyes performance?

That would be like me saying a fighter in MMA who wrestled his whole life (Middle school, high school, college) but never competed in the Olympics didn't transition from wrestling to MMA. Which would be silly. Do you think Jon Jones didn't transition from wrestling because he only competed in High school and junior College?

If you compete in one sport and you change to another, you transitioned. Its as simple as that. If Joe Burrough who is a college QB decided he didn't want to enter the NFL draft and he wants to join the UFC, then he would be making a transition from the sport of American Football to another sport which is MMA.

Sport A -------to------> Sport B = Transition.
Wrestling is different because there is no pro league, it's an amateur sport practised at the top level in college.
If your college team has won ncaa div 1 championship, that's the peak of the sport in the US counting out Olympics.
The same cannot be said for college basketball.
Do you think wilder refers to himself as a basketball player who transitioned to boxing?
He's a boxer who played some basketball in college, which doesn't have any significance regarding his boxing career the same way nobody calls Aldo a soccer player.

Wrestling is different because there is no pro league, it's an amateur sport practised at the top level in college.
If your college team has won ncaa div 1 championship, that's the peak of the sport in the US counting out Olympics.
The same cannot be said for college basketball.
Do you think wilder refers to himself as a basketball player who transitioned to boxing?
He's a boxer who played some basketball in college, which doesn't have any significance regarding his boxing career the same way nobody calls Aldo a soccer player.

So again, Jon Jones only wrestled in high school and community college, he never reached division 1 or olympic level wrestling. He is still considered a wrestler who transitioned into MMA despite not having reached the pinnacle of wrestling. Notice nobody says Jon Jones isn't a wrestler just because he never reached the pinnacle of the sport. We say Jon Jones is a wrestler who transitioned into MMA because that is his background and that is the sport he competed in growing up.

I wouldn't say we can directly attribute his success to the fact that he was a football player. There are probably a lot of football players that would do terribly.
It's more down to that he just has a knack for fighting plain and simple.

i hate when people bring this shit up because they never take into account all of the BETTER football players who FAILED. like Greg Hardy is about 100 times the football player Dominick Reyes is but he's not gonna put on that level of performance like Reyes did.

just like Greg Hardy would most likely get murdered by guys Schaub and Mittrione beat even though they're shittier football players too. it's like you said, the guys who excel at fighting would've excelled even if they had never heard of American football, because as an individual they possess some fighting talent. while pro bowl level wide receiver Johnnie Morton takes all the steroids in the world and still gets his shit pushed in by a comedian.

So again, Jon Jones only wrestled in high school and community college, he never reached division 1 or olympic level wrestling. He is still considered a wrestler who transitioned into MMA despite not having reached the pinnacle of wrestling. Notice nobody says Jon Jones isn't a wrestler just because he never reached the pinnacle of the sport. We say Jon Jones is a wrestler who transitioned into MMA because that is his background and that is the sport he competed in growing up.
As I said, there's no pro league in wrestling and collegiate wrestling is the highest of levels of the sport counting out Olympics.
Jon didn't reached the pinnacle of the sport but he was a juco champion.
He competed in collegiate wrestling, the highest competitive environment in the country in the sport of wrestling.
You cannot turn pro in wrestling.
In basketball, you can.
It's not enough to just practice a sport as a kid to be able to say that you "transitioned." It's misleading.
If you race go karts as a kid and went on to become a ufc champion, are we gonna say that you transitioned from go kart?
Deontay Wilder is not a basketball player, and nobody calls him that. He's a boxer that played some basketball in college, so what? It's irrelevant.
Certain people bring this up to "prove" that basketball players can successfully compete in combat sports.
So they take the heavyweight boxing champion who played some basketball in college and say: look what basketball players can do!
It's a flawed argument that proponents of a level athlete theory like to bring up.

As I said, there's no pro league in wrestling and collegiate wrestling is the highest of levels of the sport counting out Olympics.
Jon didn't reached the pinnacle of the sport but he was a juco champion.
He competed in collegiate wrestling, the highest competitive environment in the country in the sport of wrestling.
You cannot turn pro in wrestling.
In basketball, you can.
It's not enough to just practice a sport as a kid to be able to say that you "transitioned." It's misleading.
If you race go karts as a kid and went on to become a ufc champion, are we gonna say that you transitioned from go kart?
Deontay Wilder is not a basketball player, and nobody calls him that. He's a boxer that played some basketball in college, so what? It's irrelevant.
Certain people bring this up to "prove" that basketball players can successfully compete in combat sports.
So they take the heavyweight boxing champion who played some basketball in college and say: look what basketball players can do!
It's a flawed argument that proponents of a level athlete theory like to bring up.

We are going in circles here. I respectfully disagree with you, we just have a difference of opinion. I think you can play at the collegiate level and change sports and be considered a transitioned athlete. I look at a guy like OSP who never competed in the NFL but played linebacker at Texas. Everybody in MMA has no problem using him as an example of a football player who transitioned in MMA because that is what he is. It is no different then looking at an athlete like Antonio Gates who played college Basketball at Kent State but never played college football. But he got signed as a free agent in the NFL and went on to be one of the greatest tight ends of all time. He is often used as thee example of a basketball player who transitioned to Football and he never played a day in the NBA.

We are going in circles here. I respectfully disagree with you, we just have a difference of opinion. I think you can play at the collegiate level and change sports and be considered a transitioned athlete. I look at a guy like OSP who never competed in the NFL but played linebacker at Texas. Everybody in MMA has no problem using him as an example of a football player who transitioned in MMA because that is what he is. It is no different then looking at an athlete like Antonio Gates who played college Basketball at Kent State but never played college football. But he got signed as a free agent in the NFL and went on to be one of the greatest tight ends of all time. He is often used as thee example of a basketball player who transitioned to Football and he never played a day in the NBA.
I understand where you're coming from here, but we need to put things in context, we can't put everyone in the same basket.
It's important to look at a guy's career and what he's achieved in a certain sport before we ùse the word "transition" because it can be misleading.
If a guy touches a basketball a few times in college and drops out of college at the age of 20, takes up boxing, competes at amateur ranks, wins national golden gloves and us championships, wins an Olympic bronze medal before he turns pro, then goes on to become the world heavyweight champion, you're gonna call him a basketball player? It's just silly.

Last edited:
European football is the most popular sport in the world, so from a stastical pov those athletes face the highest competition, therefore should be the best.

Mitrione and Schaub were NFL players. Also Bob Sapp was an NFL player and he beat the kickboxing GOAT. Footbal doesn't always win but it does have a great track record as a martial art.

Bob Sapp was juiced to the gills and had a 100lb weight advantage.

Shaub and Mitrione never made it to a title shot in the weakest division.

Back