Do you have more respect for American Football players after Reyes performance?

Takamine86

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This former American Football college safety didn't get drafted to the NFL so he decided to step into the cage. With a few years of traning, Dominick Reyes went undefeated all the way to a title shot against Jon Jon Jones, who many consider the GOAT of MMA. & Dominick Reyes just gave Jon Jones one of the most competitive fights he has ever had, many believing Reyes actually should have got the nod.

image.jpg

152255367-dominick-reyes-of-the-stony-brook-seawolves-gettyimages.0.jpg

image.jpg

You now see what an MMA coach can do with an athlete that comes from American football with a few years of training. Skill and technique can be taught, size and athleticism cannot. That is the advantages these guys have. That is how Reyes was able to beat fighters who have been fighting their whole lives with a few years of trainig. MMA fans like to talk about how big Reyes and jones are, they are small compared to the athletes in the NFL and both are nowhere near as athletic. There are much better physical specimens in the NFL. So imagine what an MMA coach can do with superior athletes who are bigger, stronger and faster. Athletes like Chandler Jones, Nick Bosa, Von Miller, George Kittle, Khalil Mack, TJ Watt, Julio Jones, A-A-ron Donald, George Kittle, and Fudge.

i respect all ball-layers, cuz they have to prove themselves almost every day.

UFC fighters Train a few weeks, fight 2 times a year and most cant even stay in shape.

Don't see the point. Different sports. I respect table tennis athletes because they too beat NFL football players and MMA fighters at hand eye coordination.

Jones lost his last fight to a guy with one knee as well.

Certain fighters go from being a dominant champ to performing like someone not in the top 10 (e.g. Matt Hughes).

With MMA fighters fighting so infrequently its easy to overstate Reyes performance.

Deontay Wilder, 6 months TDD.

Deontay Wilder comes from Football/basketball too. He was going to college to play Football/Basketball but dropped out to work and take care of his daughter who was born with spina bifida. That is when he found Boxing. With just 2 years of training, he upset the golden gloves favorite. In other words, he beat a guy who was probably boxing his whole life with 2 years of boxing training. The rest is history.

Less respect if anything. Reyes shocked me though. Dude just beat up Jon Jones and the whole world bar a few shitcunts know this.

no, but i have more respect for Volkan Oezdemir though.

Don't see the point. Different sports. I respect table tennis athletes because they too beat NFL football players and MMA fighters at hand eye coordination.

I'm talking about in terms of the ability for an American Football player to transition into MMA with a few years of training as Reyes has demonstrated.

It's interesting to me that an undrafted American Football player who transitioned to MMA with a few years of training gave Jon Jones who many consider the GOAT his most competitive fight. Many believe Reyes actually won the fight.

Yeah why not but the A level athlete was the one gassing out

No..I have more respect for Dom Reyes..

Yeah why not but the A level athlete was the one gassing out

That is true, he will have to work on that.

But when you think of how Reyes did against Jon compared to fighters like Shogun, Machida, Rampage, DC, Bader, Rashad, Belfort, all more experienced, all guys with a combat base, its incredible how well Reyes did. Everyone said Jon would walk over him but Reyes did better than all of them.

That is true, he will have to work on that.

But when you think of how Reyes did against Jon compared to fighters like Shogun, Machida, Rampage, DC, Bader, Rashad, Belfort, all more experienced, all guys with a combat base, its incredible how well Reyes did. Everyone said Jon would walk over him but Reyes did better than all of them.
Yeah don't get me wrong. He won that fight.

No.

Not any more than I already did,but not every athlete can fight. I can only care about the ones that actually have the balls to actually go in and do it. Anyone else is beneath consideration.

Brock Lesnar certainly does after trying to train for NFL. Said he used to laugh at those guys but it was one of the hardest things h'ed ever tried to do

Deontay Wilder comes from Football/basketball too.
Don't start this nonsense again.
He was never a professional basketball player.
He played in college. It's irrelevant.
He started boxing at the age of 20.

I got more respect for Reyes

Don't start this nonsense again.
He was never a professional basketball player.
He played in college. It's irrelevant.
He started boxing at the age of 20.

Its not nonsense, Wilder had a Football and Basketball scholarship from Alabama University. He was on track to be a pro basketball or Football player. He dropped out of college to work so he could take care of his daughter who was born with Spina Bifida. He put his daughter before himself and he still accomplished so much after turning to Boxing so late. Hespect.

Its not nonsense, Wilder had a Football and Basketball scholarship from Alabama University. He was on track to be a pro basketball or Football player. He dropped out of college to work so he could take care of his daughter who was born with Spina Bifida. He put his daughter before himself and he still accomplished so much after turning to Boxing so late. Hespect.

Getting into boxing so he could support his daughter and the Only Medalist from the US 2008 Boxing team

I hespect Wilder.

Back