Do you guys wash pre washed store bought spinach (or other salads)?

largemansmay***

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have started eating a lot of salads and was wondering if you guys would wash the stuff that said pre washed? I know there have been some contamination with spinach in the past that even ended up with people dying...do you guys worry about something like that?

To be honest though I bet there is probably like a 200x more chance that I will die in a car accident than succumb to food poisoning from spinach...maybe I should just stop worrying and eat my damn salad.

unless its prebagged, i wash any fruit or vegetable. it couldnt hurt.

I have started eating a lot of salads and was wondering if you guys would wash the stuff that said pre washed? I know there have been some contamination with spinach in the past that even ended up with people dying...do you guys worry about something like that?

To be honest though I bet there is probably like a 200x more chance that I will die in a car accident than succumb to food poisoning from spinach...maybe I should just stop worrying and eat my damn salad.

Just play it on the safe side and wash them, it hardly takes any time. If you are questioning it in the first place you probably already answered your own question.

Pretty sure that spinach recall last year was for the prewashed and bagged stuff.

I washed a bag of pre washed salad and dirt still came out of it. I wash everything now.

In my house we do a bleach/water bath on all food, however I did read something that said with the pre washed produce that the majority of bacteria on it comes from the persons hands when they reach into the bag to get some out.

I didn't in the past, until one day I ate half a grasshopper that I sliced up unwittingly with the spinach that went into my scrambled eggs.

Poor little fella, I'm sure his soul went somewhere awful considering his mortal remains were mangled in my putrid maw...

i'd wash it just to be on the safe side. like others have said, it doesn't take that long to do.

I didn't in the past, until one day I ate half a grasshopper that I sliced up unwittingly with the spinach that went into my scrambled eggs.

Poor little fella, I'm sure his soul went somewhere awful considering his mortal remains were mangled in my putrid maw...

At least you know it was a clean grasshopper :icon_chee

I found some sort of beetle in my pre washed spinach one time, was gonna do my Steve McQueen "pappion" imitation but decided to just throw it out

Of course I wash it. It takes just a few minutes.

No, I occassionally go to a local cafe and get a salad made up but I generally prefer to cook most of my food myself.

frogsalad_lg.jpg

yes, most definitely.

i used to work in the produce section in a grocery store where we also did some pre-packaged vegetables. the stories i have for you....

always. ALWAYS wash before eating.

The problems with bagged pre-washed lettuce and spinach have been with bacteria, like e. coli. Washing (rinsing under water) won't come close to touching e. coli.

Can't hurt to check for grasshopper parts and/or frogs though.

The problems with bagged pre-washed lettuce and spinach have been with bacteria, like e. coli. Washing (rinsing under water) won't come close to touching e. coli.

Can't hurt to check for grasshopper parts and/or frogs though.

so with your logic, there is nothing you can do to stop the e.coli

The OP said:

... some contamination with spinach in the past that even ended up with people dying

I was just saying that rinsing under water won't do anything if your spinach or lettuce is contaminated with e.coli.

mrpunch said:
In my house we do a bleach/water bath on all food ...

I believe ^^ that would work.
I don't worry about it myself, I don't even rinse my packaged lettuce. Outbreaks are pretty rare.

What exactly do you guys consider 'washing'? Rinse under running water? Bleach/water bath? These are just the two mentioned in this thread previously but I am just curious as to what constitutes "washing" for fresh or pre-packaged produce. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back