Do you guys give credit to "manufactured" artists who don't write their own music?

not really. shallow and often appealing to our basest instincts and made for profit as the primary motive is not my idea of art.

Huh. No offense but I don't see you as being all that popular at parties.

Cocktail parties perhaps but that's about it.

Huh. No offense but I don't see you as being all that popular at parties.

Cocktail parties perhaps but that's about it.
notice how you used the word "popular" in your criticism. ive never really plugged into that word or that intention and perhaps that is why music designed to be popular does not appeal to me.

your world might be a little small if you equite parties with meaning and or parties with pop music....... i mean, have you really never been to a party where this kind of music was not played? i would say the vast majority of parties i've been a part of have not played this type of music friend.....

Last edited:
notice how you used the word "popular" in your criticism. ive never really plugged into that word or that intention and perhaps that is why music designed to be popular does not appeal to me.

your world might be a little small if you equite parties with meaning and or parties with pop music....... i mean, have you really never been to a party where this kind of music was not played? i would say the vast majority of parties i've been a part of have not played this type of music friend.....

Apologies. It wasn't actually meant as a serious criticism but as a friendly little jab at your dislike of popular music. My bad. I should have included an emoji of some sort to make that clearer.

Some people just aren't writers. I'd consider myself one of them. I've never written a piece of music in my life but I love music and can play music. I just don't have the desire to create music.

I definitely respect when someone can write, produce and do everything but I've learned to appreciate those that aren't that way as well. For instance, you listen to a Katy Perry song and I'm sure she had some input but it's also written but like 10 different people. While you might think that is absurd and in some ways it is, I can respect a well crafted, meticulously written pop song that appeals worldwide.

Linda Ronstadt never wrote her own songs and her albums from the 70s were fantastic. I don't care if it sounds cool and they credit those who wrote the songs.

Some people just aren't writers. I'd consider myself one of them. I've never written a piece of music in my life but I love music and can play music. I just don't have the desire to create music.

I definitely respect when someone can write, produce and do everything but I've learned to appreciate those that aren't that way as well. For instance, you listen to a Katy Perry song and I'm sure she had some input but it's also written but like 10 different people. While you might think that is absurd and in some ways it is, I can respect a well crafted, meticulously written pop song that appeals worldwide.
Same. I can't write an interesting song to save my life. I'm a backing musician and have no problem admitting it.

That doesn't guarantee success. They have to have a certain "it" factor, or else they'll just be a backup dancer at best, like 99% of the people who attempt to chase that dream. It's also unfair to say that none of them have any input whatsoever on where they take their image and career. They're not robots that you just turn on and off. It's a collaboration, and at the end of the day, they have to be on the ball to make it work. You can teach anyone anything, but being able to perform on game night is the margin between success and failure.

There is no such thing

It's your network, hardwork, and hate to say it, but luck to make it big in music.

Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Linda Rondstadt and Three Dog Night never wrote anything. Sinatra was pretty good, as was Elvis. In general I don’t like these artists.

Gotye (somebody that I used to know) wrote and produced all of his own music, including finding all the samples, he’s very clever

depends.

Some of them can obviously sing and are for sure show mans, but can't write music to save their lives.

But when its...so incredibly obvious and dead eyed...im out

Singers, I dont think have to write their own songs. Talent is their voices and the notes they can hit. Id give more credit to the who do though. Now rappers I think should write their own lyrics.

Just because you sing a song written by someone else,
doesn't make you a manufactured artist

Is it any different than shitting on every band member that doesn’t write?

fuckinh even people who write there own music these days cannot say it is not manufactured when you have shit like this going on with some of the top artist today

these guys are such hacks they cant even write they own chord progressions or even construct a chord. They are literally downloading soundbanks of various chord progressions, copying and pasting them into their daw. If you cant put 3 or 4 chords together you are not a musician plain and simple.

Back