Do You Guys get Sciatica?

theNuge

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I did a search on this topic and I got a couple hits but I wanted a few more opinions.

I've been trying to go past parallel on my squats and my back has been rounding a little due to flexibility issues. I think this has been causing some tingling in my left leg. I looked online and I'm pretty sure it's sciatica. Have any others experienced this and how big of a deal should I make it? I was planning on lifting anyway, concentrating more on my form, and not going quite as low until I get more flexible. Is this a good plan?

My mom had a pinched sciatic nerve. Around the same time, she borrowed my ab lounge (don't ask, I bought it a little over a year ago, before I started lifting, shoulda got an oly set instead) and she said when she stretched beyond 180 degrees on it (you bend your body to like 210 degrees to complete a full "jackknife") that it relieved a lot of the pressure. After she gave it back due to a lack of space, the problem worsened again, so she just picked it back up from me yeserday.

You might try doing some stretching, obviously buying an ab lounge is a waste. Bridges or something might help a bit.

Edit: I really agree with klotz, though. If it is the type of pinch that require surgery, you MUST get it taken care of ASAP. Most of the time they don't, but there is no reason to risk it.

Should I go to regular doctor? Should I push for an MRI?

Should I go to regular doctor? Should I push for an MRI? Should I stop lifting?

I wouldn't stop lifting completely. Just don't do high weight squat and deadlift or similar in the meantime. There are two main problems with a sciatic nerve pinch. The first one being it could be something serious that causes it, and putting a ton of pressure on it while you lift could make you lose sensation or worsen the problem.

I think you need to see a general practitioner first, to get a reference to probably an orthopedic (to make sure it isn't a spinal problem causing it). I am not 100% sure on this though, you could always call your family doctor and ask for advice.

Edit: Read this, it is more likely that this is your problem, IMO. Which could be the result of you only somewhat recently starting to work out.

Seeing a doctor is a good idea, of course... but you shouldn't be going lower than the level at which you can still keep a straight lumbar area. Very few people can do true ATG for this reason but getting below parallel shouldn't be too much of an issue with some flexibility and mobility training.

Did you have an injury? I have a lower back injury and have to deal with it periodically.

There's a reason for if you have it. It could be a bulging disc but if you don't have other symptoms it's probably more benign.

Here's what I do:
STRETCH. Look up stretches for people who have back injuries, even if you don't have them they will help. The Hamstrings are the biggest culprit here.

Power Squat. I don't high-bar ATG because it kills my back. However, low bar squats feel fine. In principle, like Monger said, don't squat any lower than you can without breaking perfect form.

Stretch. I'm mentioning it again because you could help yourself out by warming up pre squat. Stretching the calves, hip flexors, upper back and shoulders is mandatory. Obviously stretching your hammies would help but if you are doing heavy weight this will take away the elasticity you need to lift. However, at higher rep ranges it's not a big deal.

Anyway an MRI is worthless. It's expensive and it probably will be inconclusive if you don't have significant symptoms.

Also, do you get the tingling with low weight? I wouldn't be ashamed to use extremely low weight (like 95 lbs or maybe even just the bar) to work on your form a bit. If you don't get a tingling with really low weight, it means you need to work on maintaining proper posture in heavier squats.

Thanks for your responses. I didn't want to go rushing off to the doctor without first asking the Sherdoggers :D.

The symptoms aren't that bad. I never feel it when I lift. The only thing I feel is some tingling and a dull ache (which I'm not sure is not muscle soreness) when I sit down and when I lay down. When I'm up and around I'm fine and I can stretch it out and do BW exercises without any pain or "extra" tingling.

I've had back issues in the past but nothing I've gotten diagnosed. I had issues when I played volleyball and when I popped a rib out of place. My hamstrings are ridiculously tight. I can get about 60 degrees on a Good Morning before they start to hurt.

I'll take it easy on the weights tomorrow and I'll do lots of stretching. I'm currently doing the Bill Starr 5x5 and I'm going to do the following before I squat to warm up my back:

- 3-4 Stretching Exercises
- BW Hyperextensions
- Supermans
- Light Good Mornings (stretch the hamstrings)

Also, do you get the tingling with low weight? I wouldn't be ashamed to use extremely low weight (like 95 lbs or maybe even just the bar) to work on your form a bit. If you don't get a tingling with really low weight, it means you need to work on maintaining proper posture in heavier squats.

I have had numerous lower back injuries, and recently only lift about 95 lbs max on squat, which, the other day (log) supersetted 75 lbs with RDL's.

Rehab your back, though your's just sounds like its very very tight.

Do These for some stretching, and make sure you don't push it to where you actually pull something. Months of recovery.

Pickup yoga if you please...hot chicks, good stretching for the lower back (which was why I tried yoga in the first place).

It doesn't sound like sciatica at all. You would know if it was. I've got extreeeeeeeeeme sciatica right now, I have to sit and stretch every 5 minutes while I"m at work in the morning. I can't squat or deadlift anymore. Try a chiropractor, see what they say. Usually MD's will recommend surgery right away.

Back