Do you go to church regularly?

Havent gone for a good 5-6 years. Plan on going back regularly sometime

I don't, haven't in over 10 years. I probably wouldn't marry someone who goes regularly or would force my kids to go. Some people need it in their lives, and that is fine. But, overall I feel it is a sham, I'd rather think for myself & be a good person, not waste my time and 10% of my earnings to 'feel better & safe'

it was rhetorical.

but feel free to express yourself.

Sherdog take note. This is how a mature person w/ a differing viewpoint disagrees without being an asshole about it.

going to church is one of the biggest scams on earth.

how sane people believe this shit and give their money away, is beyond me.

Atheists that say things like this crack me up when they say things like this about people that tithe. My tithes go to help needy people in my city with real world issues they need like food, and also to crisis relief around the world.

That's supposed to be bad? It doesn't matter if you believe in God or not, the fact that you can look at institutions that are offering their time and money to try and do some good in the world and call them suckers because they want to help is a hit below the belt. And like a low blow, it says a lot about you.

Ignorance is bliss. It's comforting to believe that someone is taking care of you.

going to church is one of the biggest scams on earth.

how sane people believe this shit and give their money away, is beyond me.

I love it when Atheist suddenly come into a thread about religion.

I believe in a higher power. I don't judge you if you don't, but no one is enforcing religion upon you on this thread. People believe in what they believe in. So neither you should be enforcing what you don't believe in.

Nope. Went when I was a kid- super boring. You folks have fun there, though- tell Jesus I say hi!

it was rhetorical.

but feel free to express yourself.

I was just going to elaborate -as when people worship or covet things I never think it's crazy -it's instead almost essential for probably more people than not

I think that if everyone knew %100 there was nothing out there beyond science most people would still create something spiritual and illusory to believe (maybe not a diety even -could be coveting an object or a secular philosophy) -as it gives great order and direction in people's lives -it provides meaning, structure, and an ethical framework. It's a survival/coping strategy for most regardless of how much truth or falsehood there is. It ashame that the reason most people dislike religion is because of those who have leveraged it for power in the name of religion.

but I'm not here to discredit any religions either -most of the world's religious works are a pretty mind blowing read

-just say that if I didn't have a direction -I'd make something wild up and live it and so would most people.

Sine you dont understand something that he pretty much explained. I will, in short, its pretty psychotic to believe in imaginary people with magical power. That help?

I understand what he meant but I think we are wired for this type of thinking and don't consider it psychotic.

In fact the part of the brain which attracts people to worship may be the same part of the brain that causes you to obsess about cars -It gives your life meaning -if that makes any sense.

I understand what he meant but I think we are wired for this type of thinking and don't consider it psychotic.

In fact the part of the brain which attracts people to worship may be the same part of the brain that causes you to obsess about cars -It gives your life meaning -if that makes any sense.

Except being obsessed about cars doesn't directly create mass delusion which in turn negatively affects society.

Except being obsessed about cars doesn't directly create mass delusion which in turn negatively affects society.

Well, like I said I'm not in here to argue that part of this.

I'm just saying we are all wired to be curious and desire answers and in the absense of ones we consider acceptable -we all will create new ones and defend them

Nothing crazy about it really.

Well, like I said I'm not in here to argue that part of this.

I'm just saying we are all wired to be curious and desire answers and in the absense of ones we consider acceptable -we all will create new ones and defend them

Nothing crazy about it really.

Shit, I guess I'm wired differently because I have absolutely no desire to put the responsibility for EVERYTHING on god's shoulders.

Back