Do you get more set in your ways?

Your outlook in life is different because you don't have to worry so much about money - or maybe you do.

Money is absolutely important for food, housing and necessities, but the moment you realize money is not nearly as important as living an intentional life --- one worth living, you'll start looking forward to every day, month and year.

This is why it's harder to get a woman whe you're older. Find yourself a women half your age and you can figure out a fun time. They accommodate your idiosyncrasies without being tired of your shit. If I wasn't married I'd probably be down with a woman half my age, partially to help em out etc, but also they are still real mouldable. Reminds me of the Irish wisdom re women., That the guy should have sown his wild oats but the woman should be young so she's still mouldable. Like 30 and 16-18. Seems fucked up but I guess you can find women who are mature and men like being well superior.
I'm not that old but I'm getting there. I have a harder time dealing with younger women but I also don't care for feeling superior. I met a girl same age as me and we mesh so well I can't believe it. So far so good. Really good. I got pretty damn lucky.

I consciously try to change things up and take on new challenges/struggles. I think the tendency is to get set in your ways, especially in your 40s. I'm alrady planning what I want to do in my 50s, 60s, and thereafter. Every 5-7 years I'll have a different location, activity and work (related) change up.

To keep things fresh, you've gotta be the 'fish out of water'.
I agree. I plan to keep doing new things and taking up traveling adventures when I'm older.

Big life changes once a decade. Let the dead wood go.
In my 40s I'm going take a heroic dose of mushrooms.

I was more set in my ways when I was younger. Too pissed off and belligerent to see opportunities for growth.

In my 30s I'm changing a lot. Getting older made more acutely aware of the vast amount of room I have for improvement - a lifetime’s worth and then some.

From my current vantage point I can’t see much use in becoming stagnant. There’s time enough for that when you’re dead.

I always thought it was early 20s when ppl tend to be most opinionated and set in their ways especially politically.

That was my research when studying but anecdotally I've found ppl in my life seem to calm down a bit in their 30s/40s when it comes to serious cultural/social/political issues.

In my case I remember feeling so strongly about my atheism and wanting to debate ppl about it - but now I just don't care what other ppl believe unless it's hateful.

I'm 28 and would really struggle to name a single change I've made since I was 16

really the only difference is I used to to live my life by the moto of "fuck it, I'd rather die young having fun than die slowly at 80"

I still kind of believe that but have matured enough to alter some choices out of respect for my family. I may not be scared to die but I at least love my family enough to not force them to bury me.

I always thought it was early 20s when ppl tend to be most opinionated and set in their ways especially politically.

That was my research when studying but anecdotally I've found ppl in my life seem to calm down a bit in their 30s/40s when it comes to serious cultural/social/political issues.

In my case I remember feeling so strongly about my atheism and wanting to debate ppl about it - but now I just don't care what other ppl believe unless it's hateful.

haha this used to be me. every single day, picking fights and mocking religious people on FB. Constantly posting anti religious stuff on my wall.

I still think religion is stupid shit, but at some point I realized I'm not changing anyones mind with sassy memes on facebook. And I also stopped wanting to hurt peoples feelings for no reason. Like you said, as long as they aren't hurting anyone who cares.

I'm in my later 30s and just had a major shift in my psyche, so not necessarily; it depends on the individual. Most become set in their ways because they lose their child-like wonder (with regards to how they view the world).

This is likely why Jesus insisted that one must become like a child in order to enter the kingdom of heaven.
…2Jesus invited a little child to stand among them. 3“Truly I tell you,” He said, “unless you change andbecome like little children, you will never enter thekingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.…

In the below clip JP talks about Jungian psychology and how Carl suggested part of the proper development in the last half of life is rediscovering, to a degree, your child-mind:

(around 4:17 is where he mentions this, however I suggest the entire video)

It's a trap people walk into, however it's avoidable.

Most people never really change. And the older they get the rarest it becomes.

Probably closer to sixty. In your thirties youre not quite saying fuck all this shit yet. At least I havent. The default for sixty years old plus is fuck all this shit. Pretty sure of it.
Does it have to be that way? I think if you’re bitter at 60, mistakes were made and weren’t fixed.

I’m striving for happiness and contentment at 60+.

Last edited:
Does it have to be that way? I think if you’re bitter at 60, mistakes were made and weren’t fixed.

I’m striving for happiness and contentment at 60+.

I probably used the wrong wording. It doesnt have to be that way. Im striving for the same. Recently had my last grandparent pass on and she was definitely done with it by the end, so that colours my opinion. My grandfather once told me that the most enjoyment he gets out of life at his age was having a good shit in the morning. They were hard working people with fulfilled lives, a "good" family, lots of fun and tonnes of friends.

At that age youre acutely aware of mortality and physical decay. I think how you deal with those things is very important. We all have our turn(s) to face the reaper. Health is paramount to happiness or even caring about the way youve set for yourself. Anyway Im rambling now, so Ill just leave it there.

I probably used the wrong wording. It doesnt have to be that way. Im striving for the same. Recently had my last grandparent pass on and she was definitely done with it by the end, so that colours my opinion. My grandfather once told me that the most enjoyment he gets out of life at his age was having a good shit in the morning. They were hard working people with fulfilled lives, a "good" family, lots of fun and tonnes of friends.

At that age youre acutely aware of mortality and physical decay. I think how you deal with those things is very important. We all have our turn(s) to face the reaper. Health is paramount to happiness or even caring about the way youve set for yourself. Anyway Im rambling now, so Ill just leave it there.
Always tough to lose a loved one. Puts life into perspective, makes one think on what’s really important. Your grandfather is right: without health, you don’t have much. It colors every aspect of your life, and the lives of others.

This is why it's harder to get a woman whe you're older. Find yourself a women half your age and you can figure out a fun time. They accommodate your idiosyncrasies without being tired of your shit. If I wasn't married I'd probably be down with a woman half my age, partially to help em out etc, but also they are still real mouldable. Reminds me of the Irish wisdom re women., That the guy should have sown his wild oats but the woman should be young so she's still mouldable. Like 30 and 16-18. Seems fucked up but I guess you can find women who are mature and men like being well superior.

I didn't specifically set out to look for a younger woman but it worked out that my wife is 21 years younger than me. I'm over 50 & she's in her thirties now. And, it's by far the best relationship that I've ever been involved in. By far.
I don't have a desire to be superior or in some sort of position of authority in her life though. Our dynamic isn't like that. We've formed what is an excellent partnership & we bring out the best in one another in a lot of ways.
She enjoys & that I treat her with respect & that I appreciate her in ways that the men her own age tend not to. She loves that I'm not an over-grown man-child who wants to spend every free moment with his friends riding motorcycles & hanging out at bikini bars like her ex-fiance. And, I love that brings out the best in me & keeps me active & feeling young.
I doubt whether a relationship with our age difference could work for everyone but it certainly works for us.

Back