Social Do you get excited when a new store opens in your area?

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
A new Hy-Vee store opened this morning in my area. They scheduled the opening for 6AM. A television station interviewed the first person in line who said he got in line at 8 PM the night before and waited in line for ten hours. I don't get the fascination with new stores. This is a 96,000 square foot store.

It was the same when a 240,000 sq ft Woodmans opened a few years ago. I shopped at Woodman's one time after the store that I usually shopped at closed when the company went bankrupt. I didn't know it at the time but they don't take credit cards but the would take debit cards, checks or cash. The store is very large but they don't have anything really different than any other store. They didn't have some of the brands I usually bought. It takes an hour or more to go through the store.

City governments are so anxious to bring in these stores but they don't figure out that it will take business away from stores already in the area so there won't be any net gain and might be a net loss if they gave tax breaks to the new stores and the new infrastructure they have to build to for the new store.

It's the same when a new restaurant comes to town.

No, would get excited if a Howlin' Rays opened in my town tho.

howlin-rays-2.jpg

Stores not really, it would maybe save shipping if I shop there and the store wasn't here.
Restaurants a little bit, unless it's a big chain then not really.

Nope. Not me. I do the vast majority of my shopping online so I really don't pay any attention to what new brick & mortar stores are opening in my area.

Considering i live in the middle of nowhere the only stores that open here are food stuff... And yes im usually excited about it cause eating is gud, if the beer is cheap is even better

Why would anyone wait overnight for a grocery store? They had to be giving away prizes to the first 10 shoppers or something.

And to answer your question, I do like seeing new places pop up because I like having more options, but I wouldn't go wait in line to get in.

No. Most of the time it isn't a place I consider shopping at. Also, storefront / employees = greater cost than online shopping.

I'm more excited when a Mom-N-Pop small business lasts through bullshit like COVID and continues to provide excellent product and service.

They opened a new Korean fried chicken place here recently and there were huge lines for days.
I tried it and it was just ok, not worth stopping presses.

I would be excited if they opened a new cool store. Like a giant music/video store. Or more upscale clothing stores.
Any big city shit that we don’t have here.

Sure, why not. An event that happens once a couple years deserves acknowledgment and mild excitement.

Not really. I live in NYC,whatever closes is usually never replaced with something better. Its all fuckin commercial ca-ca.

If it’s a thrift store, heck yes.

When I was younger, new stores and restaurants opening could be exciting. I and others I knew would want to discover the new store in town.

Now, not really.

Back