Do you find belt promotions motivating?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by snowolf17, Oct 24, 2010.

1. snowolf17

snowolf17 Yellow Belt

so i am very knew to the BJJ game only been training about 4 months i really love it and one of the goals i have set for myself is to eventually get my black belt. I am very very aware that this is 10 years plus in the future and at the end of the day i know belt rank really doesnt matter as long as your pushing yourself and improving, at the same time i dont think its a bad thing to set concrete goals for yourself. Just as long as you dont lose sight of why you love BJJ that being said I was just wondering what motivates all of you guys to get out there and train? its pretty easy to find sports that arent so demanding and brutal on the body so the question is why do we do it? discuss..

2. PerfectBalance

PerfectBalance Yellow Belt

awesome goal in order to keep it don't push yourself too hard and don't ignore tapping because you think a submission is not tight enough. I'm down to a once a week plan, since my neck injury and most of the guys in this sport don't quit. They just become to injured to compete or train, so there is a lot of turnover. Belts don't motivate me because I don't like the idea of the guys below putting a target on my back. Stay low key and work yourself through the ranks. I have won my last three tournaments and I don't expect to make purple for at least another year and why be in such a rush to do so. I rather like the idea of me sandbagging tournaments I don't want to make competition into a " points battle".

3. KahleyTriangles

KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

I would be lying to you if I said no, belt promotions don't matter to me. They do, and even stripes on my belt motivate me to keep going, to keep working hard. With that said, and you are already aware with your original post that its a long process. I just keep telling myself to enjoy the journey rather than just anticipating the celebration at the destination.

4. snowolf17

snowolf17 Yellow Belt

i think thats a great point about enjoying the journey MBGracieBarra, just out of curiousity does anyone know if you are required to win tournaments and such to earn your black belt, or any other belt for that matter?

5. SpooNer

SpooNer White Belt

Promotions are great motivation in my BJJ journey. Each stripe and belt is your instructors way of validating your progress and advancement in skill. You should be proud to receive them as I am sure your coach is to hand them out.

6. KahleyTriangles

KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

You don't ever have to compete to get your black belt.

7. jasond

jasond Purple Belt

Our instructor made a comment last weekend when he promoted a few of us with new stripes.

He basically said that most people have no idea what we go through to earn a simple piece of tape wrapped around our belt. That it's kind of funny (in a good way) that it means so much to us (being rewarded) to receive what most of society would consider a useless or valueless reward.

8. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

"A black belt is just a white belt who never quit."
    "I got tapped every day for my first two years, and then everyone else quit"

Belt promotions are a way to vaidate your accomplishments and the time you put in, but I personally don't see them as the cure all end all of BJJ. If all you are going for is the belt, than you miss the journey. I know there isn't a set time frame for each belt, but you shouldn't even think about promotion until you get closer to the end of a period of time and once you have all your stripes.