Do you feel like you know more about Brazil than other people in your country because of MMA?

Fedor Machida

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Obviously this question doesn't apply to Brazilians but do you feel like being in the MMA community exposed you to a lot of information about Brazil that the average person in your country is ignorant of?

For example, I was observing how people would watch the Rio Olympics opening ceremony and people were like "oh wow" this and that and I was like "psh... I always knew Brazil has a sizable Japanese population because of LYOTO MACHIDA".

And that part about Brazil's African heritage I was like "psh... I always knew Brazil has a sizable African population because of ANDERSON SILVA".

Fucking dummies. We MMA fans are professors when it comes to Brazil.

Actually it was trannies that first got me interested in Brazil.

Yes. We are all experts on Brazil, Thailand and Japan here on the dog.

There are a lot of japanese people in São Paulo, but this is not true for Rio

Definitely have learned a lot about Brazil from following MMA for so long. Such a unique culture & people.

I'm practically an Ethnographic Anthropologist because of MMA. Thanks to MMA, I now know that countries often have more than one race.

Yes, but I think it has more to do with all the off-duty cop videos out there.

I guess people who follow MMA will tend to have some extra information about Brazil, TS. If you spend too much time on Sherdog, you'll absorb some stuff that isn't really true as well, but in general I agree with you.

I watched the Olympics last night so I know virtually everything there is to know about Brazil.

Brazil no hespectch notching. I no hespectch brazil

Even though there is a lot of black people here in Brazil it was through MMA that I learned about their explosiveness (didn't learn how to write the word though, I think).

Brazil gave me one of the happiest moments of my life in the 2006 World Cup
So thank you

Seriously, yes, by following MMA, I discover a lot of informations about Brazil but not only.

I learn a lot about sports, martial arts, violence, military & police training, Brazil & Japan, PEDs using, etc.

The sad thing is that it's a very specialized subculture almost nobody - in terms of percentage of population - understand and share. When your fav athlete is Kharitonov or Bustamante in a country where soccer player or judokas are gods, it's difficult.

Not at all. I know as much about Brazil as any Olympic games spectator: that the water is filthy and crime is out of control.

I know Silva seems the most common last name there.....and thats it.

facepalm... lets try this a little closer to home then.
i would love to know how canadian hosted events and competitors have improved your cultural diversity? i expect an answer by the time i feed my dogsled team, harvest the whale blubber for my family and re-shingle my igloo.

I feel like I educate people on how nationalistic Brazil is, not just at the olympics.

Back