Do you feel like writing posts on messageboards (Sherdog) improves your writing / communication?

brackis1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We mash out a lot of characters going back and forth on here, and others are doing the same on other forums, reddit, social media etc...
Do you feel like this exercise in typing makes people "swim or drown" so to speak in that you'll be repeatedly writing and theoretically building up some level of proficiency because it's the de facto method of communication online? Or would you say that it's regressive and allows for unchecked free form rambling that can be shorthand, slang, nonsensical, gifs in place of words etc...?

Not a chance. My english is horrible and my grammar is at an elementary level. If anything im worse off because of this place.

The teaching pedagogy I was taught was that any writing improves your communication skills on some level. I agree to a point. Texting, etc., is actually harmful.

Absolutely. I got my PhD last year and I gave a shout-out to Sherdog in the Acknowledgments. I'm not kidding. You get what you put in, and if you use this place as an arena in which to practice critical thinking and communicating more effectively/eloquently, then it'll payoff.

It has helped me a ton in how to deal with confrontation and debate-- even though I dont like to debate as a rule.

You just have to stay out of the dumpster with people and use it well.

Sherdog definitely makes my grammar more gooder

Absolutely. I got my PhD last year and I gave a shout-out to Sherdog in the Acknowledgments. I'm not kidding. You get what you put in, and if you use this place as an arena in which to practice critical thinking and communicating more effectively/eloquently, then it'll payoff.

PhD in leggo and GI Joe.

My use of English used to be better when I used to do creative writing. It’s gone downhill a bit since I stopped, especially with spelling.

Posting in message boards can help, though it depends on how much a poster cares about the quality of their posts...

I don't think this place has helped my writing or grammar much but I think it has thickened my skin a bit and lowered my expectations of others. While getting me familiar with various levels of trolling.

I really think it will depend on which subforum you spend time in though.

Sherdog threads are unquestionably the highest level of English I've ever had the privilege of participating in.

Not a chance. My english is horrible and my grammar is at an elementary level. If anything im worse off because of this place.

Capitalize 'English', apostrophe 'I'm'.

FAIL. See me after class (bring your mother's number).

It was good of you to single out 99silva specifically.

Reading is what made my English writing so good. Honestly I don't know all of the technical terms and clauses or what any of it all means, but somehow I can smash out A papers in every class I've had since I was about 10 years old. I put it down to the fact I used to read an insane amount as a young kid.

(note- I dont write posts here how I write papers, i write how i speak, cunts)

Certainly not, other than maybe making me a bit more spontaneous in casual conversation.

I feel like my writing skills have fallen off a cliff after high school though. My STEM major wasn't exactly writing intensive, and in practice I just need to write clear emails and technical information. I don't think most people are great writers because we have no outlet to practice unless it is a genuine hobby.

I do feel like I am more aware of my grammar wile posting online.

PhD in leggo and GI Joe.

giphy.webp

It was good of you to single out 99silva specifically.

giphy.webp

Reading is what made my English writing so good. Honestly I don't know all of the technical terms and clauses or what any of it all means, but somehow I can smash out A papers in every class I've had since I was about 10 years old. I put it down to the fact I used to read an insane amount as a young kid.

This is practically my life story verbatim. And I've always told people that learning how to write well/better is a process that works largely if not predominantly by osmosis.

(note- I dont write posts here how I write papers, i write how i speak, cunts)

The first part of your post was uncanny in how exactly your experiences with reading and writing matched my own. Then this part confirmed for me that I'm not in The Twilight Zone and reading myself posting as someone else, as I'd never miss an apostrophe or not capitalize "I."

Certainly not [...] I don't think most people are great writers because we have no outlet to practice unless it is a genuine hobby.

giphy.webp

This is practically my life story verbatim. And I've always told people that learning how to write well/better is a process that works largely if not predominantly by osmosis.

The first part of your post was uncanny in how exactly your experiences with reading and writing matched my own. Then this part confirmed for me that I'm not in The Twilight Zone and reading myself posting as someone else, as I'd never miss an apostrophe or not capitalize "I."

What's funny is that I look like an ex-convict and I'm Irish, so people naturally assume I am thick because I have a different accent here.

Yet I write like a mofo...my wife described my writing as 'arrogant', which I took to be a compliment, given that she is such a cunt.

Back