Do you feel like music is losing its soul?

OCGSC

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
When I listen to certain genres I feel like its just husk music listening to certain artist like they just said fuck it some of the music is good but it is missing its soul (jazz hands with glocks in them)

The world is losing its soul, music of today reflects the people and values of today
It aint the same like when we were youngsters, back when this was all fruit orchards as far as the eye can see

Not if you know where to look. There’s still good shit being made, it just isn’t commercial.

Pop music has, at its very core, always been pretty soulless, at least in terms of the Top 40 kind of stuff. It's very nature is to be attractive to the lowest common denominator.

I do get what you mean though, a lot of mainstream rock, metal and hip hop seems to be homogenised and, poor imitations of those who have come before, but I think that can kinda be chalked up to oversaturation of, well, everything.

What's the sense in creating anything that takes time to appreciate, to grow on you, in a world where you can access EVERYTHING in a fraction of a second? Nihilistic, I know :p

I just double-down on older, obscure music and feel superior to all these brain-dead radio dweebs

No, it isn't. You're simply getting older, and you're confusing soul with nostalgia.

Probably not. I'm just getting old, and the technology has fragmented us. We're not all under one big tent, anymore.

Pop music has, at its very core, always been pretty soulless, at least in terms of the Top 40 kind of stuff. It's very nature is to be attractive to the lowest common denominator.

I do get what you mean though, a lot of mainstream rock, metal and hip hop seems to be homogenised and, poor imitations of those who have come before, but I think that can kinda be chalked up to oversaturation of, well, everything.

What's the sense in creating anything that takes time to appreciate, to grow on you, in a world where you can access EVERYTHING in a fraction of a second? Nihilistic, I know :p

Really I think the shift in the last 20 years or so has been that the alternative music scene has come under much closer corporate control. You go back to the 80's and 90's and I would argue more interesting music found it far easier to get attension where as since then former alternative outlets tend to music blander more commercial music and anything interesting ends up being truly obscure.

It depends on what your definition of music's "soul" is, but I've heard plenty of truly heartfelt music.

Metalcore isn't most people's cup of tea(not mine either, really), but I can't imagine anyone saying this song has no soul:

The lyrics were written by the guitarist while he knew he was dying of cancer. Died a few months after the release of the album.

Could post a few more songs with similar emotion of musicians fighting their demons, dealing with loss etc. off the top of my head, and that's only dealing with a very strict definition of "soul".

Really I think the shift in the last 20 years or so has been that the alternative music scene has come under much closer corporate control. You go back to the 80's and 90's and I would argue more interesting music found it far easier to get attension where as since then former alternative outlets tend to music blander more commercial music and anything interesting ends up being truly obscure.
plenty of independent alternative record labels that aren’t “truly obscure” as the era of streaming has eclipsed the radio era. i’d argue it’s far easier to find more interesting music now unless you only listen to the radio.

domino, sub pop, relapse, run for cover, sacred bones, and a million other labels all have really good music that’s veryaccessible

It's funny, because music used to be something that people talked about, shared with one another, and were "invested" in . Now aside from the occasional person, if you even ask people what music they like you're likely to hear "everything" or at best it's tagged with "except country/rap/metal".

It used to be "Have you heard this band/song?" and they would play it for you, it was a shared experience.

You're looking in the wrong places... Or you aren't looking at all but taking only what "they" give...

plenty of independent alternative record labels that aren’t “truly obscure” as the era of streaming has eclipsed the radio era. i’d argue it’s far easier to find more interesting music now unless you only listen to the radio.

domino, sub pop, relapse, run for cover, sacred bones, and a million other labels all have really good music that’s veryaccessible
who are some bands you would recommend?

It's funny, because music used to be something that people talked about, shared with one another, and were "invested" in . Now aside from the occasional person, if you even ask people what music they like you're likely to hear "everything" or at best it's tagged with "except country/rap/metal".

It used to be "Have you heard this band/song?" and they would play it for you, it was a shared experience.

That's actually a good acid test of whether you want to be friends with that person, I say. If you can talk music on a level like that, they are worth keeping around!

That's actually a good acid test of whether you want to be friends with that person, I say. If you can talk music on a level like that, they are worth keeping around!
You know you're right, really 99% of my friends I'm close with we have the music connection, and even all of my relationships with women since being a teenager have had that as well.

Back