Do you ever see yourself....

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering do you guys ever see yourself becoming a black belt? I mean I bust my ass in the academy, and obssess over bjj all day, but sometimes the thought of being a black belt (for some odd reason) just doesnt appear in my head. I guess its one of those things that I just wont be able to believe untill it finally happens. And if and when it ever does happen, it just seems like it'll be surreal to me.Another thing I wonder about is, if i ever achive the bb, will I be legit? Will I be a good bb, or will it be I got it, because I've trained so long? Do you guys ever have similar thoughts?

Hell, I just wonder about the purple belt. In fact, I'm still trying to prove day in and day out that I'm a good blue belt even.

I dunno, it's so far away that I never think about black belt. The idea of having one doesn't frighten me per se, but it's definitely a ridiculous idea right now.

Just wondering do you guys ever see yourself becoming a black belt? I mean I bust my ass in the academy, and obssess over bjj all day, but sometimes the thought of being a black belt (for some odd reason) just doesnt appear in my head. I guess its one of those things that I just wont be able to believe untill it finally happens. And if and when it ever does happen, it just seems like it'll be surreal to me.Another thing I wonder about is, if i ever achive the bb, will I be legit? Will I be a good bb, or will it be I got it, because I've trained so long? Do you guys ever have similar thoughts?

Do you ever see yourself becoming a black belt?

Yes. I used to think it was impossible, but not any more.

Will I be legit?

I do ask that question. Competing gives me the answer.

Will I be a good bb?

I hope to represent.

Is it because I've trained so long?

It will have been a long time, but not in comparison to the history of the universe. I'm actually trying to slow down the space time continuum. In the grand scheme of things it is not that significant.

Do you guys ever have similar thoughts?

See above.

To be honest , when i look at the road behind me in my Bjj journey and what a huge piece of road there is still to follow to achieve a BB, i'm afraid i will never make it that far.
I've already had so many injuries, small and big , and the recurrent injuries that keep on adding....
So i figured i will enjoy the road as much as i can and keep following it as long as i can.

I don't see myself becoming a BB , i hope to one day be fluent in my technique , be able to hold my own against anyone, disregarding what rank i would be, and i'd love to teach others on a small level.

Last edited:
Do you ever see yourself becoming a black belt?

Yes. I used to think it was impossible, but not any more.

Will I be legit?

I do ask that question. Competing gives me the answer.

Will I be a good bb?

I hope to represent.

Is it because I've trained so long?

It will have been a long time, but not in comparison to the history of the universe. I'm actually trying to slow down the space time continuum. In the grand scheme of things it is not that significant.

Do you guys ever have similar thoughts?

See above.

Wanted to add; You don't have to compete to be a legit bb.

Dunno, i enjoy it and have been doing it for 2 years. At this point my career if i had to move I could see that screwing up progression, i dunno if it comes it comes.

I want to be a veteran that coaches kids, blackbelt perhaps but a solid purple will do

I don't have to be the best technician or coach. I could be more of an organizer, but my skill/knowledge level must come up to a level that if I move to a place without BJJ/SW/Judo I can open a club and teach n00bs up to semi competent wellrounded grapplers

I am not that wellrounded yet.

I do want to be able to just flow, move like I am not a super heavy weight, but still be known for a couple of power/strength moves

Like when they get a mean old mastiff and put a mussle on him and sick young hungry pitbulls on him for bite training. I wanna be that mastiff

My goal is to get it by the time I am 40. However, that is a long way off, so for now I'll just focus on getting my blue.

To me the line between commitment and just doing BJJ is purple. So goal is to get to purple and if I get that far I am sure I can keep pushing for black.

You damn right I'm gonna get it. I wanna train for life, so to avoid burnout, I'm not exactly in a rush.

But make no mistake, I will get it, and I will be a damn good black belt.

Right now I'm training harder, better, and smarter than I ever have, and it's paying off big time!

Without a doubt, all it takes is hard work and dedication

You damn right I'm gonna get it. I wanna train for life, so to avoid burnout, I'm not exactly in a rush.

But make no mistake, I will get it, and I will be a damn good black belt.

Right now I'm training harder, better, and smarter than I ever have, and it's paying off big time!

you are already a blackbelt in something else to?

put any pride in that?

Hell, I just wonder about the purple belt. In fact, I'm still trying to prove day in and day out that I'm a good blue belt even.

I dunno, it's so far away that I never think about black belt. The idea of having one doesn't frighten me per se, but it's definitely a ridiculous idea right now.

yeah. I feel the same way about the blue to purple transition

I'm concerned less with any other transition.
but the blue to purple is such a mountain.

damn I want that purple and I'm SOOO far away

I wonder if the big names ever had their doubts...

that is a good question that im interested in hearing the answer too, I feel like when you train so hard for so long achieving a belt is not as important as it is early in the game, Its just one day you look down and your a blackbelt.At least that's how I want it to go for me

I would certainly hope so. Life does get in the way sometimes, but I like to think that I will train in this art for a long time regardless of whether I temporarily have to step away from it.

I guess my mentality is different then some others though, since I had the advantage of starting at 18 when some people didn't start till they were in their 30's.

Who knows, I hope so though

yeah. I feel the same way about the blue to purple transition

I'm concerned less with any other transition.
but the blue to purple is such a mountain.

damn I want that purple and I'm SOOO far away

this is true, so many people come sprinting out of the gate to get that blue belt and within a month after getting it most of them gradually drop off in attendance more and more. It is almost a one month curse, the first month of a white belt is when they are likely to quit and it seems that first month of the blue belt has almost as high a drop out rate.

TS, don't sweat getting a black belt, a couple black belts I've talked to about this basically said that once they got the black belt they realized that was when they were really starting to learn. So just focus on getting better and enjoying the sport, then the belts will come on their own.

If you want to succed in BJJ you have to see yourself one day with the black belt around your gi. I'm sure my day will come, wont be anytime soon, prob not even in the 2010's but I will one day. Inch by inch, belt by belt.

Back