Do you ever see world class boxers drill?

Brothers, here we have a slight misunderstanding caused by the difference in terminology. In Eastern Bloc, we do not have such a thing as “partner drills” (or rather, it means completely different things, it's pair exercises without gloves).

"Partner drills" are called "conditional sparring" or "sparring drills" as opposed to "free sparring".
And these exercises are carried out precisely in the form that lead to free sparring, a kind of imitation. All strikes are performed at full speed, at full strength and exactly where you will hit in a real fight, both partners move arbitrarily, apply all types of defense, etc.
For example, one of the basic types, for newbies: we move freely, my partner throws single jabs|crosses, I defend with slips, ducks, blocks, sholder roll. And when I feel that distance is OK, stars are in correct places, Mars in the moon phase :), I catch the punch in my open right glove and answer with 1-1-2 to the head, in response he hits with left or right straight, i slip left or right and continue my attack with straights moving by opposite legs, finally he check is my defense in place with control jab or I fall back with a jab myself. And the more advanced the fighter, the more attack / counterattack options “wrap up” on this basic combination. That is, after a left slip, I can continue not with a straight, but with a left hook to the body OR with the right overhand, my partner can now throw not a single, but double hits, etc. I think you understand the idea.
These exercises are close to sparring, but there is no such strong psychological pressure as in real sparring. So you can try different techniques, new moves. But you get hit, feel pain, etc. And if you can't do the studied combination in such a variant, you will not be able to do it in real fight.
I apologize for the boring wall of text :).

No, it's not a confusion of terminology. Hes actually insinuating that you just dont need to ever do these things when you get to a certain level, for whatever reason.

But hey, it's not like there are qualified people who do this for a living every day who competently demonstrate how doing them makes fighters better at pretty much every level (by providing a controlled scenario to condition the body to naturally perform movements, under stress), and point out where even high level fighters' limitations can be overcome in such a manner.

Ah, but I'm sure just mitts and sparring is the way to go.

No, it's not a confusion of terminology. Hes actually insinuating that you just dont need to ever do these things when you get to a certain level, for whatever reason.

But hey, it's not like there are qualified people who do this for a living every day who competently demonstrate how doing them makes fighters better at pretty much every level (by providing a controlled scenario to condition the body to naturally perform movements, under stress), and point out where even high level fighters' limitations can be overcome in such a manner.

Ah, but I'm sure just mitts and sparring is the way to go.
It’s like I was talking to you in your thread.
I think you maybe take for granted how well thought out your teaching and system is. I have seen a lot of coaches but not many can teach.
It’s such a dearth of teachers that people don’t know they even need to be taught :eek:

I cant say about boxers, but i been in world class level gyms in MmA and i see alot of partner striking drills lol
same. CSA is all about partner drilling for their striking program and they’ve produced multiple world champions.

I prefer drilling over mitt work. I've mentioned it before, but drilling when done right, will be like sparring itself.

Mitts/pads I don't like, if you don't have your coach or a long time trusted partner holding it, its going to be a wasted session. Mitts/pads will never mimic partner drills imo, it could come close with creativity but it still won't mimic it like a drill/spar will.

The thing is they're high ranked pros, why release real footage of how they practice when it could be used as a resource against them? Sure, there's "open training" where they showcase some material, but its just a peak of what they do, plus exaggerated to get the opposition to get spooked.

Personally:
  • Mitts/pads are for accuracy, speed, HIIT style conditioning, and confidence building
  • drills are for technique, details, and ingraining habits in a slightly less damaging way than sparring
I like this.

I love pad work and holding for my fighters, but I also advocate and design a ton of partner drills. You set them up to be choreographed and then turn them open ended. For example

boxer A jabs, boxer B catches with the rear hand and jabs back. Boxer A defends.
Repeat for 3-4 rounds using feints, footwork
And tempo changes.

then boxer A jabs, boxer B catches with the rear hand and throws the cross instead. Boxer A defends. Repeat etc.

then boxer A jabs, boxer B catches with the rear hand and throws a left hook. boxer A defends, repeat, etc.

now they have three options off of the rear hand catch to the jab. Boxer A jabs, boxer B catches and comes back with either a jab, a cross, or a hook. Boxer A has to read and defend. You can advance the drill by adding a second punch- come back with a jab cross, a cross hook, or a hook cross.

this basic structure of giving guys the tools and then letting them play with them will help their development tremendously.

It’s like I was talking to you in your thread.
I think you maybe take for granted how well thought out your teaching and system is. I have seen a lot of coaches but not many can teach.
It’s such a dearth of teachers that people don’t know they even need to be taught

Well, then theres the devaluing of skill sharpening. This thread reminds me of when I made changes to my system and some of my high level fighters got very agitated about having to drill with beginners. This is simply arrogance. Colm O'Connel was the Godfather of Kenyan running and during a documentary filming he had then World Champion David Rudisha exercising with Juniors. He said he did it to keep Rudisha humble, and so the Juniors could see that what they were doing was what led to Rudisha's success. When asked if it was too basic a workout for Rudisha, Colm responded "well, this training is what built him. So he understands the value of doing these things."

Doing only mitts and sparring (and mind-you I've only ever seen one trainer do mitts in a way where you dont lose some modicum of skill to exchange for flashy stationary moves designed to boost the fighter's ego, as well as the "padman") is for those arrogant enough to believe their skill cannot diminish, and that they alone will remember to use each move under pressure physical harm. Like they cant forget how to fight.

Last edited:
same. CSA is all about partner drilling for their striking program and they’ve produced multiple world champions.

I like this.

I love pad work and holding for my fighters, but I also advocate and design a ton of partner drills. You set them up to be choreographed and then turn them open ended. For example

boxer A jabs, boxer B catches with the rear hand and jabs back. Boxer A defends.
Repeat for 3-4 rounds using feints, footwork
And tempo changes.

then boxer A jabs, boxer B catches with the rear hand and throws the cross instead. Boxer A defends. Repeat etc.

then boxer A jabs, boxer B catches with the rear hand and throws a left hook. boxer A defends, repeat, etc.

now they have three options off of the rear hand catch to the jab. Boxer A jabs, boxer B catches and comes back with either a jab, a cross, or a hook. Boxer A has to read and defend. You can advance the drill by adding a second punch- come back with a jab cross, a cross hook, or a hook cross.

this basic structure of giving guys the tools and then letting them play with them will help their development tremendously.
same, doing drills exactly like that and similar was a big part of the learning when I was competing and it occupies a lot of time for our boxers taught at our amateur club now

I just had a couple of my guys working a live drill I shamelessly stole from sinister when i was in Vegas a few years back. Drills build skills

Yes.
I don't know what mean ranking No1 or No 30 in boxrec for this forum " World Class. "
KB guys and karate guys too.
Again, I don't know if for example silver in world chamiponship or God help if bronze is enough for forums.
…..recreationists too….SD hobbyists too….

Last edited:
Back