Do you even Wallpaper bro?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Nameless Ghoul, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Nameless Ghoul Black Belt

Well do ya punk? I remember growing up in the late 80's/early 90's it was practically in every house. Now? I can't even remember the last time I saw it anywhere? Is it even a thing anymore?

2. MaureenCretis Black Belt

No, plaster and paint in my house. 7 different shades of Farrow & Ball grey. Very Surrey.

3. weed ベルセルク

4. MaureenCretis Black Belt

I think wallpaper went out of fashion a couple decades ago. Was often use to conceal bad plaster and rough walls. The millennium saw a huge explosion of people “investing” in their homes which meant boom time for decorators and plasterers, in the U.K. at least.

There was a brief period a while back where people would paper a single wall in a room and call it a “feature wall”. Didn’t take long before they stopped because it looks pish.

5. Drain Bamage Guitar God 420

Thought this was gonna be a post your desktop/wallpaper thread

6. Jimmy McGill Bored with Sherdog Banned

Murica's 51st State....Formerly Known as England
    Wallpaper has never really been all the way out, and it's apparently making a comeback, but I agree with everything else in your post, a shitload of new builds where I lived, all full of millennials and young gen xers and not one strip of wallpaper in the whole estate

7. CodeBreaker What belt?

yea, I was ready to post mine lol

8. TheLinguist You’ve yee’d your last haw Banned

Wallpaper is dirty as fuck this isn’t the forties

9. HughPhug Plug Tunin'

When we bought our house we found out that there was distemper paint over every single wall in there (50's house, bought cheap to do up).
    We had to use wallpaper steamers to scrape layer after layer of that shit off the walls because you can't plaster over them.

We tried to plaster a couple walls first but it dried and fell off over night. So we spent six months scraping over scrap of paint off the walls, scored them, PVA'd them, and then started plastering.
    Took us 18 months to move in in the end and we had one more room we just could not be fucked to do so we wallpapered it. Actually looks really nice and I'm thinking of getting some retro ass wallpaper for one wall in our bedroom next.

Something like this
    [​IMG]

10. Phlog Dad Belt

Nah, every room is Painted white ceilings and walls. White as fuck.

It's a racial purity thing.

11. fingercuffs VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT Platinum Member

I regretted wallpaper when I had a house rabbit, he ate the fuck out of it and I had it in every room apart from the kitchen and bathroom.

12. newms84 Orange Belt

If you ever run into this problem again, just go over the walls with 3/8 sheetrock and mud it. Would've been done much quicker.
    I still see older people with money using wallpaper but it's usually just a border where the top of the wall meets the ceiling. Mostly see it in kitchens and baths

13. davidlemonparty Black Belt

Wallpaper is so fucking expensive nowadays.
    When i renovated my house, we spoke to a few designers and such about wallpaper. It's like triple the price of a sand finish and paint. And then you're stuck with it, as its still triple the price to change.
    Better off just painting. Which is what most people do.
    Rich mo'fukkers still wallpaper but its almost like a 'status' thing now.

14. HughPhug Plug Tunin'

Is that the same as plasterboard? Pretty sure it is

I didn't want to use it on walls in case it damaged (shit gets thrown around a lot in my house). All the ceilings we tore down and plasterboareded before plastering, I just didn't think it would be as durable on walls?

15. Ramen White Belt

I thought the thread is about PC wallpaper... I used to have all sorts of weird wallpapers, now I don't care...

16. Milgrim Australopithecus - not your average hominid

[​IMG]

17. mooseman17 Black Belt

When I was growing up in Eastern Europe, rugs on the walls were a huge thing but they were expensive, so you had to supplement the walls with wallpaper. When I came to Canada I was very confused why walls only had paint. My mom proceeded to wallpaper the shit out of our first home.

18. newms84 Orange Belt

I'm pretty sure it is the same as plasterboard. It's just gypsum board that gets skim coated with plaster. It's what's used in all most all applications for interior walls. It's much more durable than old horse hair plaster. Less durable than wood obviously but you really only see all of the interior walls being wood in cabins.

19. drstrangelov Hey.

I just put up wallpaper in my mud room and down a hallway from my garage to my kitchen. The wallpaper itself was around 100 for 56sqft,, so more expensive than paint but not crazy pricey.

20. Zer Steel Belt