Do you even Compete?

Chesten_Hesten

Greatness isn't Stoked by Compliments.
@Gold
Reaction score
How many of you have ever competed in a shooting event of some sort?

If so, what sort was it?

Rifle, Pistol, or Shotgun?

What did you gain from it?

If you're a gun owner, but have never competed, why not?

I'm just curious. Be Honest.

Here, look at this while you think it over:

Rosie_Jones_054_868724.jpg

When I was younger we would do Turkey Shoots. A bunch people would show up with shotguns and they would throw in $3 a piece per round. You got 1 shell (some rounds shot some rounds slug) and you would shoot winner takes all each round. What I took from it was decent money once in a while. I have never really done organized competitions. Once in a while I would just play around with rifles and trick shoot (my family does a ton of shooting). The last time I broke out one of my .22s out I was trying to shoot a smiley face in the bottom of a can at 100 ft off hand and almost got it. I haven't shot as much since I moved from WV to CT about 8 years ago.
1000916_10202122649974562_1854294460_n_zps53178367.jpg

I've never competed but I've always wanted to get into 3-gun or some kind of pistol shoot. Quite frankly I can't afford the ammo at the moment but it's something I definitely want to get into next year.

I've done a small 3 gun competition that a friend asked me to compete in with him. It was our first doing a competition. I did ok and beat my friend. Ammo is way too expensive to practice 3 gun atm. I really don't like to lose/not preform well so I would want to practice a whole lot more before I did it again. As far as accuracy or speed stuff I don't currently have the money or time to get good enough to win, plus people have years of shooting experience on me.

Plus I would rather just go out to the desert and have fun with friends shooting. If I got to the point where I was really good I would compete. I have watched lots of 3 gun matches and the dudes that win are just so fast.

I've competed in 3-gun and USPSA Production. I'm not a big fan of shooting "sports" in all honesty, as I feel they contribute to the trivialization of firearms I'm currently trying to organize competitive, team-based blank-fire exercises, but it's slow going.

I find competition to be a crucial part of the process in mastering a given skill. It'll reveal whether your given path is correct, or in need of more work. It can be an honest assessment tool in that regard.

Shooting under a bit of stress is good.
Shooting on command, not just when you're ready is good.
Practicing Constant Muzzle awareness, and range etiquette is good.
Dealing with Transitions, Sights to Target, to Trigger, to next target is good.
Demonstrating what you think you know, and validating it is good.
Demonstrating in front of others even if you look bad is good.
Being better than last time is good, cause all the hot-shoes sucked too at first.

3 gun and combat type events can be quite scenario based, and it's easy to loose your foundation in the scenarios, but if you break it down to the essential functions that matter, you have: Draw, Sight Picture, Reload, Movement, and Last but not least, Trigger Control. The quality of your transition between these is what really makes the difference. With visualization you can drill these things again, and again dry-firing.

With enough discipline, and dry-firing, you can build skill with much less rounds than many might think I feel.. Loading less, (5 rounds per mag) helps save during live fire practice. Shooting, pausing, analyzing, taking breaks to contemplate and visualize more while shooting a bit less at first is great too.

An 80 shot practice with my 45 Auto takes me about 2hrs these days. Less shots with more time for it to sink in.

With rifle I think you could shoot far less than that, and still gain.

I knew this guy once who bragged about shooting up $10K of ammo in one year. he couldn't hit shit. All that ammo wasted and no skill attained whatsoever.....

If you don't have a place to hunt, but want to shoot, and match is something to look forward too sometimes.

I'm not a big fan of shooting "sports" in all honesty, as I feel they contribute to the trivialization of firearms I'm currently trying to organize competitive, team-based blank-fire exercises, but it's slow going

This is very interesting. What do you mean?

I've competed in 3-gun and USPSA Production. I'm not a big fan of shooting "sports" in all honesty, as I feel they contribute to the trivialization of firearms I'm currently trying to organize competitive, team-based blank-fire exercises, but it's slow going.

^ This makes no sense. Good luck assembling a team that enjoys pointing real weapons at things just to make noise. Should be much less trivial...

I used to do weekly IPSC matches locally mixed with some IDPA (before BJJ took all of my free time). Chesten's post sums it up. Plus, action shooting is much more fun than bullseye shooting. You will learn a lot about your weapon and your equipment.

*Googles Rosie Jones

I find competition to be a crucial part of the process in mastering a given skill. It'll reveal whether your given path is correct, or in need of more work. It can be an honest assessment tool in that regard.

Being better than last time is good, cause all the hot-shoes sucked too at first.

3 gun and combat type events can be quite scenario based, and it's easy to loose your foundation in the scenarios, but if you break it down to the essential functions that matter, you have: Draw, Sight Picture, Reload, Movement, and Last but not least, Trigger Control. The quality of your transition between these is what really makes the difference. With visualization you can drill these things again, and again dry-firing.

I do many things like that out in the desert when I go shoot. I am always competing with friends and stuff. We play horse like as in basketball horse but with firearms. We will use balloons, metal targets and whatever else to see who can take out the targets the fastest. Shit like that. See who can get the closest to bulls eye at a variety of distances. Who can make the best 3 shot groups while shooting quite quickly. Using paint we spray 2 different colors and call out a color and you get 1 round for each target and see who does it the fastest with the most hits.

So I'm not bad but no where near winning a 3 gun competition. I think for 3 gun you need to shoot lots of ammo. Get the speed with accuracy. I haven't gotten into long range stuff yet. I'm only 23 tho so it will come in time.

I do many things like that out in the desert when I go shoot. I am always competing with friends and stuff. We play horse like as in basketball horse but with firearms. We will use balloons, metal targets and whatever else to see who can take out the targets the fastest. Shit like that. See who can get the closest to bulls eye at a variety of distances. Who can make the best 3 shot groups while shooting quite quickly. Using paint we spray 2 different colors and call out a color and you get 1 round for each target and see who does it the fastest with the most hits.

That sort've stuff can be fun.

I unofficially participated in a SASS match a year or two ago, I'd like to do it more often, but the start up costs are a bit much for me at this time.

Prior to my current situation, I was in the process of trying my hand at IDPA SSP and IPSC Production at a club level. I did my holster course and was going to start participating prior to temporarily moving for an employment opportunity.

Finished top of my class at G4S training course for accuracy, does that count lol?

"G4S training"

What do they?

I use to work for an armored car company, like Brinks, they required a week long firearms training program. The pass score was 90%, i got 100% on revolver and 98% on shotgun, not a big deal but i got a pin lol

I've been competing semi regularly in steel plate matches. Typically in the single stack division, sometimes limited. Other than just being a lot of fun, I definately am just a much better shooter. Speed, control, accuracy, are all much better.

Does paintball, or laser tag count as a shooting sport? I play paintball. Obviously a paintball gun is not as accurate as a real gun, but it is a projectile weapon in similar shape to a gun, and some mimic a gun very well.

I equate it to firing a handgun in self defense because of the accuracy and range.

Expert Pistol ribbon from the Navy. I still keep my skills sharp by going to the local range. I can get 2 inch groupings at 25 yards with my Glock 17 and my recently acquired Springfield 1911.

I would've gone for an expert ribbon for rifles, but God had a sense of humor and made me right handed but left-eye dominant.

I would've gone for an expert ribbon for rifles, but God had a sense of humor and made me right handed but left-eye dominant.

I'm like that. I shoot rifles with my right eye, and I made HighMaster for NRA Highpower rifle. Just required a little extra conditioning at the beginning.

Easy enough just to turn my head slightly for pistol, and use my extended arm like a stock.

For me it seems quite awkward to try to shoot pistol right-eyed.

Does paintball, or laser tag count as a shooting sport? I play paintball.

I guess if it's all you got, it's all you got.

Maybe get an Airsoft, like these?

These cat's got skillz.

With enough discipline, and dry-firing, you can build skill with much less rounds than many might think I feel.. Loading less, (5 rounds per mag) helps save during live fire practice. Shooting, pausing, analyzing, taking breaks to contemplate and visualize more while shooting a bit less at first is great too.

An 80 shot practice with my 45 Auto takes me about 2hrs these days. Less shots with more time for it to sink in.

With rifle I think you could shoot far less than that, and still gain.

I knew this guy once who bragged about shooting up $10K of ammo in one year. he couldn't hit shit. All that ammo wasted and no skill attained whatsoever.....

If you don't have a place to hunt, but want to shoot, and match is something to look forward too sometimes.

This is very interesting. What do you mean?
Regarding shooting competitions, most of the higher level stuff has become such an equipment race that they hold no appeal to me. I see firearms as tools for an important job: killing at a distance, not noisemakers to boost the esteem of an emasculated 40-something (let's be honest here, that describes a majority of the shooting community). My larger problem with shooting as a sport (I'm talking putting lead through paper, not hunting, hunting serves a useful purpose.) is that it encourages a focus on stagnant shooting at stationary (or in the few cases where mobile targets are used, they aren't moving intelligently) targets, to the detriment of skills that are far more useful in a field or combat situation. Competition can be an excellent training tool, but most of the shooting "Sports" encourage single-minded specialization. The most essential element to surviving and winning a gunfight or successfully taking game is use of terrain, either for cover or position. Some competitions emphasize this well (the Kenyathalon and its clones are excellent examples), most don't.

While time and the presence of other competitors can create some small level of stress, it can't compare to the feeling of coming under fire. Blank-fire training undertaken by some military and LEO's is a much more useful assessment of skill, and an excellent training tool.

Our current project involves a group of Military and LEOs (current and retired), split into teams and engaging in squad-level competitions. We started with a core of shooters who had done blank-fire training before in order to save time, once we've worked out the kinks we will open participation up to anyone who can legally possess the firearms in use. Currently we are looking at the StressVest system for two reasons: it is significantly less expensive than a MILES system, and it offers bio-feedback in the form of painful stimuli. Ideally we would like a system that allows for bullet-drop compensation, and randomization of laser projection in order to better simulate actual ballistics, but this is something we will have to develop on our own. We would also like to eventually add the ability to assign damage profiles for differing calibers, and location based damage modeling (essentially a videogame-style damage modeling system).

Regarding shooting competitions, most of the higher level stuff has become such an equipment race that they hold no appeal to me. I see firearms as tools for an important job: killing at a distance, not noisemakers to boost the esteem of an emasculated 40-something (let's be honest here, that describes a majority of the shooting community). My larger problem with shooting as a sport (I'm talking putting lead through paper, not hunting, hunting serves a useful purpose.) is that it encourages a focus on stagnant shooting at stationary (or in the few cases where mobile targets are used, they aren't moving intelligently) targets, to the detriment of skills that are far more useful in a field or combat situation. Competition can be an excellent training tool, but most of the shooting "Sports" encourage single-minded specialization. The most essential element to surviving and winning a gunfight or successfully taking game is use of terrain, either for cover or position. Some competitions emphasize this well (the Kenyathalon and its clones are excellent examples), most don't.

While time and the presence of other competitors can create some small level of stress, it can't compare to the feeling of coming under fire. Blank-fire training undertaken by some military and LEO's is a much more useful assessment of skill, and an excellent training tool.

Our current project involves a group of Military and LEOs (current and retired), split into teams and engaging in squad-level competitions. We started with a core of shooters who had done blank-fire training before in order to save time, once we've worked out the kinks we will open participation up to anyone who can legally possess the firearms in use. Currently we are looking at the StressVest system for two reasons: it is significantly less expensive than a MILES system, and it offers bio-feedback in the form of painful stimuli. Ideally we would like a system that allows for bullet-drop compensation, and randomization of laser projection in order to better simulate actual ballistics, but this is something we will have to develop on our own. We would also like to eventually add the ability to assign damage profiles for differing calibers, and location based damage modeling (essentially a videogame-style damage modeling system).

That's interesting.

I think combative shooting strategy is essentially, either using positioning to direct better accurate fire than an adversary, or if nothing else is left, beating them to the shot.

I agree, the higher you get in any of the games, the more specialized it becomes, and many turn into equipment races. But you can pick and choose what you want to get out of it. Many of the take-aways are positive still, especially if the goal is to improve.

Like you said, training tool.

Part of the study of marksmanship.

Tried simmunitions or air soft? At least for closer stuff.

I do think some competition shooting is good, though. It offers a change up from solitary practice, or classes, and or can be a motivating factor to gain a little more skill.

Plus for those, that don't own property, or otherwise have access, or hunt, or get shot at, (hopefully), it's a good way to get some time in with their equipment.

I tend to feel much better around people who compete, than the "own, shine and polish" types of gunowners. I fell the structure sometimes makes them safer to be around, and since they're using their stuff regularly, there isn't that "awe" over an AR15, or some such. The atmosphere is just better. To me.

But I can certainly understand what you say. You wanna play the game that suits you.

I've never competed, but on the subject of airsoft, I was real into that when I was 18-21. Hadn't thought of it until this thread, but that may be the reason I am good at shooting from the hit.

Whenever I go the the range with my brother-in-law, we always make up stupid drills like lung-lung-head or 1-shot zombie attack. Where one person calls the target and the other needs to retrieve his pistol and shoot accordingly. For example, the idea of one shot zombie attack is that you have to pick up the gun and shoot as quickly as possible, scoring a head shot in 1 shot or else you die. Then we debate the relative effectiveness of our attempt and make fun of each other--mostly me making fun of him because I am better at those games.

Back