Do you consider Werdum the best heavy of all times??

It's funny to me how people use completely different sets of obviously biased criteria for each individual fighter when considering GOAT status.

Werdum might be my favorite fighter on the current UFC roster, and the run he is in has put him in the discussion. But IMO he still has a pretty long way to go.
He is getting old and is likely running out of time to build his legacy. He will need to become much more active, and avoid the losses that almost always mar the status of great champions at the end of their careers.
I would love to see him do it though.

When you hide in a lower weight division for being afraid of facing people of your own size, Then you are not GOAT.
Lol.
yeah Jones strikes us as "afraid" lol

so Andy and Gsp are disqualified.

Who does thta leave?

2nd best after Fedor. He has a chance to surpass Fedor if he keeps on doing amazing things like he has been doing. His quality wins are as good as it gets, but his losses hold him back in most people's eyes IMO.

The greatest heavyweight champion of this generation was beaten by Werdum. The greatest heavyweight champion of the past generation was beaten by Werdum. I'm not arguing who is #1, but there is a small group at the top and Werdum is standing shoulder to shoulder with them.

Not yet. If he dominates Cain again then he has an amazing case. I wish he had fought Fedor once more, but I'm not convinced Fedor still wouldn't have made a similar mistake as he's more instinct and confidence than a strategic and calculated fighter. To me, he's a better version of big nog.

It's also hard to give him the nod without him redeeming his losses to either Reem or JDS.

he is right in the mix... I'll save my judgement for when his career is said and done, a lot can happen in a short amount of time and he doesnt seem to have his head on straight... regardless this has nothing to do with Jon.
He has already matched gsp and Anderson in title defenses hasn't he??

I do.

Werdum is IMO the most underrated HW in MMA, and the unsung HW GOAT.

Pretty soon at this rate it'll be hard to argue he isnt.

The only hitch for me at the moment is you gotta remember, not that long ago he was not even mentioned in the running for a top spot. Horrible performance vs. AA, gift wins over Gonzaga and Vera, embarrassed by JDS. Until the Fedor win he was rendered irrelevant.

Another ugly hitch vs. Ubereem until he really started to shine.

But at this rate, considering his striking improvement added to his already world leading BJJ at HW and he should take the top spot soon.

The thing about Werdum is that he has lost against top 10 opponent several times, but he has beaten two of the late 'Greats', in Fedor and Cain.

But Cain didnt look the same as he did before wrecking everybody in his path. But who knows, he did win rather easily.

I wanna see Stipe and Rothwell give it a go at him first, actually. - JDS if he fights like his old self, and not like he lost against Overeem.

Werdum is a load. After his embarrassing lose to ubereem I kinda wrote him off....Since that fight Werdums striking has improved dramatically. He's shown nothing but guts and drive in every fight since the Overeem lose. I still have Fedor at #1, but Werdum can stay active and remain unbeaten for a couple more years he will be the #1 guy.

I love Werdum.

But I still have him 3rd behind Fedor & Nog.

Best heavyweight, yes.

Fedor wouldn't have beat Cain. Werdum beat both.

Fedor is gonna be better than Werdum in my mind unless Werdum does something amazing

I meant that under the UFC's new pay structure it pays to be champion and not a contender. Fighting Stipe on short notice is extremely risky. Sure it could be a quick payday and Werdum could have very easily won. However it was extremely risky. Especially when you spent your whole camp preparing for someone completely different. I was getting to the fact that in the long run pulling out would be a safer bet and could potentially pay off instead of fighting a threat on short notice and risking that pay day.
I stated Werdum wouldn't retire now because he's now making money which is what he's stated. So he's probably letting that guide him for future fights and not being as risky.

Ahh, yeah I think you are right and it makes perfect sense.

But that just means he cannot surpass Fedor's status and I honestly don't think he cares. He was the first man to beat Fedor. I think that is enough for him.

The greatest heavyweight champion of this generation was beaten by Werdum. The greatest heavyweight champion of the past generation was beaten by Werdum. I'm not arguing who is #1, but there is a small group at the top and Werdum is standing shoulder to shoulder with them.

LOL the greatest of this generation. Why because Dana told you so. Cain's title reign was pretty much non existent. He fought two guys tailor made for him and lost to one of them in like 50 seconds. Reem crushed JDS faster then Cain did.

What made Cain greater than Werdum, Reem even DC before Werdum finished him, handing him his second TKO loss in under 2 full rounds? The new breed Goat hype the UFC fed you while he was sitting on the shelf? Seriously explain how anyone could ever consider Cain the greatest of this generation unless you're talking about someone else. Did you mean Reem?

He was champ of a second tier HW division(next to Strikeforce) that never defended the title. He also lost the title once before ever defending it during his "reign" as champ in that second tier HW division. People really still buy that myth?

Back