Do you Consider Social Media a Weapon?

I’m the opposite. I believe it should not be regulated at all. Get rid of the so called “fact checkers.” I believe in free speech. How can speech be free if it is suppressed?

Getting rid of fact-checkers means preventing free speech.

Social Media is regulated by the company's standards, which they doubt have to honor and can choose favorites. Companies are also profit-motivated so they can skewer their free speech policy due to corruption.

Government Regulation would set universal guidelines that are aligned with our natural rights
I hear you, but I want the government out of our business as much as possible. Just because something is posted on the internet, doesn’t make it true. That is our priority to find the truth. We are lied to by our government daily. I don’t trust the government to run what they already have, I certainly don’t trust them to have our best interests at heart.

I hear you, but I want the government out of our business as much as possible. Just because something is posted on the internet, doesn’t make it true. That is our priority to find the truth. We are lied to by our government daily. I don’t trust the government to run what they already have, I certainly don’t trust them to have our best interests at heart.

And the whole reason rightists want to shut social media down is that they alerted people when the president was lying.

Fact checking is in the eye of the beholder. Facts many times are about perspective. Perspectives are biased.

Facts are facts. But if I went with your subjectivist view, aren't you then just arguing that perspectives that you don't like should be suppressed? How is that a *pro*-free speech position?

And the whole reason rightists want to shut social media down is that they alerted people when the president was lying.

Facts are facts. But if I went with your subjectivist view, aren't you then just arguing that perspectives that you don't like should be suppressed? How is that a *pro*-free speech position?
I don’t think anything should be suppressed.

I consider everything a weapon ! Esp my fists..... tyson and mr thumpy
Come at me world!

I don’t think anything should be suppressed.

OK, so we agree that fact-checking is cool? I think it should be more consistent. When a high-profile account makes a clearly wrong statement, it should be flagged every time. A lot of our political discussions would go better if we were all getting things factually right--the climate is changing as a result of human activity, tax cuts for the rich don't cause growth to increase, debt is not a catastrophic short-term problem, etc.

If you can learn anything from Hitler and all his despicable actions/rhetoric; the media of any form is the greatest weapon a country has.

You can thank Sigmund and the early PR psychology for all of it!

OK, so we agree that fact-checking is cool? I think it should be more consistent. When a high-profile account makes a clearly wrong statement, it should be flagged every time. A lot of our political discussions would go better if we were all getting things factually right--the climate is changing as a result of human activity, tax cuts for the rich don't cause growth to increase, debt is not a catastrophic short-term problem, etc.
I don’t believe social media should have any “fact checkers.” I believe people should have the freedom to say what they want. It’s up to us to decide. I’m not talking about News sources, I’m talking about Facebook, etc.

You say facts are facts, but when it comes to LGBT, abortion, and social issues, facts are dependent on perspective.

I believe News sources should be about journalism and facts only, but we both know those days are long gone. It’s all about revenue. Sensationalism is far more profitable than facts.

It certainly can be. It’s being used by the majority of Leftist media outlets as a weapon. Facebook along with other similar sites definitely suppress conservative views, while promoting leftist ideology.

However, most mainstream media is driven by leftist ideology. That’s not surprising. What is surprising, is how many people take what’s said on social media as fact.
It was only a little over a decade ago that the media was dominated by the right. It was completely dominated by the right all while I grew up. Their domination was on AM radio, which was enough to dominate the media not even long ago. Obviously, now dominating the radio waves means nothing. Right wing media people just didn't keep up with the times.

It was only a little over a decade ago that the media was dominated by the right. It was completely dominated by the right all while I grew up. Their domination was on AM radio, which was enough to dominate the media not even long ago. Obviously, now dominating the radio waves means nothing. Right wing media people just didn't keep up with the times.
The Left certainly have better media skills.

I don’t believe social media should have any “fact checkers.” I believe people should have the freedom to say what they want. It’s up to us to decide. I’m not talking about News sources, I’m talking about Facebook, etc.

You say facts are facts, but when it comes to LGBT, abortion, and social issues, facts are dependent on perspective.

I believe News sources should be about journalism and facts only, but we both know those days are long gone. It’s all about revenue. Sensationalism is far more profitable than facts.

Well, I think that social media companies should have fact-checkers, but I don't think they should be forced to have them. It's a good idea if they have the capacity.

There are facts related to the issues you mentioned, but matters of opinion, too. The factual claims should be correct regardless of what anyone's opinion is.

The major news sources are good about keeping opinion out of stories, but there's always the issue of what facts to cover and the framework.

It’s absolutely come weaponized and it’s hilarious how ppl in this thread act like it’s solely the work of liberal groups. In 2008, Obama was praised for using Facebook to simply say “vote for me.” Nowadays, Trump and the Right use it and other social media platforms to spread all manner of hoaxes and bullshit. Everything from the edited video manufactured to look like Michael Moore was supporting Trump in 2016, the edited/fake “Planned Parenthood trafficking baby parts” video, hoaxes concerning Sandy Hook, Parkland, Pizzagate, “millions of illegals voting” (that one originated with some rando on Twitter), where BLM donations go, the list goes on and on. The Right has perfected using social media to spread lies and fake news. How many threads in the War Room start with an anti-liberal tweet or crappy YouTube video, followed by a right wing circle jerk? That’s like 90% of the threads in here. So keep your rocks to yourselves in your glass house.

Last edited:
Back