Do you consider Phelps the GOAT Olympian?

Is Phelps the Olympic GOAT

• Total voters
He competed in the 2000 Olympics at he age of 15.

It's now 2016 and he's 31

But he didn't medal in 2000.
0.33s away from the Bronze. So close.

He claimed the WR less than a year later in 2001 while he was still 15 years old. Youngest ever in Long Course. Previously, the youngest male WR holder in history was Ian Thorpe, at 16yrs10mo, who had taken down the 200m Freestyle record less than two years earlier, and Thorpe was already considered a FREAK having done that. I believe the youngest male WR holder prior to that was 19. It may have even been Thorpe's own teammate and event rival, Grant Hackett, IIRC.

0.33s away from the Bronze. So close.

He claimed the WR less than a year later in 2001 while he was still 15 years old. Youngest ever in Long Course. Previously, the youngest male WR holder in history was Ian Thorpe, at 16yrs10mo, who had taken down the 200m Freestyle record less than two years earlier, and Thorpe was already considered a FREAK having done that. I believe the youngest male WR holder prior to that was 19. It may have even been Thorpe's own teammate and event rival, Grant Hackett, IIRC.

If his parents had banged just a couple of months earlier he might be celebrating his 5th straight Olympic games with a gold medal.

I think he could obviously still in a gold in 2020 as part of relay. Do you think he could still get an individual gold?

I know he says this is his last games but I think when towards the end of 2018 he's going to get that itch thinking about being he firs Olympian ever to medal in 5 separate games.

still didnt address that most of those different stroke events are silly and unneeded. Only Americans and swimming enthusiasts think differently. Yes, different strokes are harder/more challenging. So is running on your hands.
Actually, I did address that argument. In my first of three points. Why are the hurdles needed? To see who the fastest person on an artificial course is? Because there's so many fences that grow in the wild? Why is the triple jump needed? Piss off with a pogo stick if that's what you're about. Lewis could have competed in any of these. Racewalking, too! The primary factor is raw speed in the horizontal plane. If he was that extraordinary, why not the Heptathlon, too?

Where does this end? Could get outta control plenty fast:
  • Why a Decathlon and Heptathlon?
  • Synchronized Swimming? 1930 called. Nobody gives a shit who Busby Berkeley is anymore.
  • Why do the divers dive from different heights? Pick one. Why events with two divers? Fuck off.
  • What the fuck are BMX bikes doing in the games? Cause you do flips and shits...uhh, pretty sure other athletes do that better. BMX, Diving, Trampoline, Rhythmic Gymnastics....all clearly bastardized, specialized, inferior, less demanding athletic skill sets for second rate gymnasts.
  • Three different forms of flat race cycling? Pretty sure all those bikes have two wheels.
  • Why so many fucking rowing events? You're all pulling on yourselves. Same goes for you twinkle-toed sailors.
  • Canoe and Canoe Slalom? Stop adding words to feel good about yourself, hippies. Choose or squeal like a pig.
  • Why do archers compete with those old recurve bows? Primitives peasants. What's next? A musket shooting competition?
  • Table Tennis? You literally shrunk some legitimate sport to the size of a table and tried to piggyback its glory?
  • Water Polo and Rugby? Make up your fucking mind. Kits or Speedos.
  • Basketball? Soccer? Field Hockey? Volleyball? Baseball? Oh, look, all you wannabes who couldn't hack it in Track & Field added a ball.
  • How in the blue fuck did Golfers con their way into this?
i dont argue his greatness in swimming, at all. Or the fact he is one of the greatest Olympians of all time. Im just saying that pointing to his medals is an unfair comparison to others because swimming has the most medals and if somebody is dominant like an all time great they always get a boatload of medals. He is the greatest swimmer of all time, obv.

I usually dont see ppl put gymnasts as their greatest Olympians but they have a boatload of events, too.
Look, there's more medals in swimming because it's one of the defining raw sports of humanity:
  1. Running & Throwing
  2. Martial Skills (Combat Sports, Shooting/Archery, Sailing/Rowing, Horseback Riding)
  3. Swimming
  4. Weightlifting
Those are the great, ancient four. Gymnastics & Cycling are modern additions and form the rest of the half dozen greater disciplines that really define the Summer Olympic spirit and subsume the various sports. Now we're adding Ball Sports. X-Games stuff is also clearly on the rise (especially in the Winter Games, but Red Bull is pushing hard into Summer).

Just the way it is. Also, I haven't seen anyone compare Phelp's medals to Bolt's like that matters. We're comparing Phelps medals in his own sport to entire other nations in his sport. That's what's freaking mindblowing.

Last edited:
If his parents had banged just a couple of months earlier he might be celebrating his 5th straight Olympic games with a gold medal.

I think he could obviously still in a gold in 2020 as part of relay. Do you think he could still get an individual gold?

I know he says this is his last games but I think when towards the end of 2018 he's going to get that itch thinking about being he firs Olympian ever to medal in 5 separate games.
I have learned to stop doubting Phelps. He is an athlete who cannot be measured. He is touched by God or something. If he really wants, and puts together a solid 2 years with a focus on the 200m Fly, then I think he could totally do it. The 100m would be a lot tougher, but even if he couldn't medal there, if he could be our best, then he could grab a gold in the Medley Relay.

Problem is...being the best in the USA typically means being the best in the world in swimming. There's no soft roads to those relays, and that's why we always wins gold in the relays. It makes more sense than going after the 200 IM or 400 IM, I suppose, and though he could probably qualify for the Freestyle relays if he focused on them I doubt he could individually medal. Lot of choices with him.

I remember going around telling everyone that 2012 was going to be Lochte's coming out party when NBC was already hyping Phelps before the Trials even began. Thought he was going to crush Phelps in their head to heads. Didn't quite turn out that way.

Lesson I've learned is to believe in Phelps. Always.

But how many people swim? The more people that access a sport, the more competition you get. Swimming is upper class white sport in most
in total medal count, i can't

but in terms of actual prowess and ability, it's not really close

swimming is inflated with the total number of events and medals available, the field is also narrower and not as strong as in running

If Bolt could do more than just run... like long jump, triple jump, etc, even Decathlon ... I'd 100% agree that Bolt could be better.

Phelps is able to dominate over-all, swimming four different strokes. He's been swimming back to back several times. Like last night. He won the 200M IM, then had to swim 100M Butterfly 30 minutes later.

Amazing

Watching Mick lay a path of destruction is really something to behold.

No. Better, more accomplished athletes in bigger sports have competed to only win one medal, because their sport isn't broken down into thirty some odd sub-events.

But this is sort of like P4P bullshit I guess. It's subjective. He's the GOAT swimmer - that's enough.
Its not subjective whatsofuckingever lmao.

It is not subjecive that he is, widely, the most accomplished Olympian of all time. This is undisputable fact.

In medal count and swimming? Yes

I reserve GOAT status for individual combat sports.

Lol @ people sayin shit like "how many people even swim?"

More people swim in Europe and the US than run 200m that's for damn sure.

Who the fuck sprints in there free time as a kid? No one that's who.

Every school, town, and large pool in the country have youth swimming leagues and teams.

Swimming is the national pastime for suburban kids who need something to do in the summer.

Definitely GOAT. THis evening will be interesting. Final swimming event for Michaels and Schooling is doing really well. Perhaps a passing of the torch tonight? Or Michael gets 23rd gold.

Lol @ people sayin shit like "how many people even swim?"

More people swim in Europe and the US than run 200m that's for damn sure.

Who the fuck sprints in there free time as a kid? No one that's who.

Every school, town, and large pool in the country have youth swimming leagues and teams.

Swimming is the national pastime for suburban kids who need something to do in the summer.

Swimming is cool but not as cool as running 27 mph, or jumping 30 feet. I mean, watching Bolt run the 100 meter wouldn't even look real.

Either way, Phelps is an absolute freak of nature.

Its not subjective whatsofuckingever lmao.

It is not subjecive that he is, widely, the most accomplished Olympian of all time. This is undisputable fact.

kay.

Hell of a rebuttal Ill give ya that.

Highest achievement of the Olympics is to capture the gold. True or false?

Phelps has captured gold more than any other Olympian. True or false?

Phelps has widely captured gold more than any other Olympian. True or false?

No one has achieved anywhere near what he has in the Olympics. What is subjective about that?

Of course he is.
Swimming must be one of the most competitive sports out there.
Every country except maybe in Africa has a competitive swimming program. That includes all the big ones USA, China, Russia, Australia, Germany, UK Japan etc.
They all have qualified trainers and lots of money behind them. And many people compete in it from an early age.

While you can win a lot of medals. Making it to Olympics in the first place is extremely difficult because of the competition.

Hell of a rebuttal Ill give ya that.

Highest achievement of the Olympics is to capture the gold. True or false?

Phelps has captured gold more than any other Olympian. True or false?

Phelps has widely captured gold more than any other Olympian. True or false?

No one has achieved anywhere near what he has in the Olympics. What is subjective about that?

Swimming offers several events, with small variations for a large overall medal count and some other events don't.

Other athletes have shown dominance in their respective sport for a comparable length of time. Also, some people prize winning events with multiple stages, like a decathlon, very highly; not me personally, but I get it.

Phelps has won the most gold, so yeah, he wins the Olympics. It does seem like there's some room for different perspectives though.

Actually, I did address that argument. In, like, my first post. Why are the hurdles needed? To see who the fastest person on an artificial course is? Because there's so many fences that grow in the wild? Why is the triple jump needed? Piss off with a pogo stick if that's what you're about. Lewis could have competed in any of these. The primary factor is raw speed in the horizontal plane. If he was that extraordinary, why not the Heptathlon, too?

Where does this end? Could get outta control plenty fast:
  • Why a Decathlon and Heptathlon?
  • Synchronized Swimming? 1930 called. Nobody gives a shit who Busby Berkeley is anymore.
  • Why do the divers dive from different heights? Pick one. Why events with two divers? Fuck off.
  • What the fuck are BMX bikes doing in the games? Cause you do flips and shits...uhh, pretty sure other athletes do that better. BMX, Diving, Trampoline, Rhythmic Gymnastics....all clearly bastardized, specialized, inferior, less demanding athletic skill sets for second rate gymnasts.
  • Three different forms of flat race cycling? Pretty sure all those bikes have two wheels.
  • Why so many fucking rowing events? You're all pulling on yourselves. Same goes for you twinkle-toed sailors.
  • Canoe and Canoe Slalom? Stop adding words to feel good about yourself, hippies. Choose or squeal like a pig.
  • Why do archers compete with those old recurve bows? Primitives peasants. What's next? A musket shooting competition?
  • Table Tennis? You literally shrunk some legitimate sport to the size of a table and tried to piggyback its glory?
  • Water Polo and Rugby? Make up your fucking mind.
  • Basketball? Soccer? Field Hockey? Volleyball? Baseball? Oh, look, all you wannabes who couldn't hack it in Track & Field added a ball.
  • How in the blue fuck did Golfers con their way into this?

Look, there's more medals in swimming because it's one of the defining raw sports of humanity:
  1. Running
  2. Martial Skills (Combat Sports, Shooting/Archery, Sailing/Rowing, Horseback Riding)
  3. Swimming
  4. Weightlifting
Those are the great, ancient four. Gymnastics & Cycling are modern additions and form the rest of the half dozen greater disciplines that really define the Summer Olympic spirit and subsume the various sports. Now we're adding Ball Sports. X-Games stuff is also clearly on the rise (especially in the Winter Games, but Red Bull is pushing hard into Summer).

Just the way it is. Also, I haven't seen anyone compare Phelp's medals to Bolt's like that matters. We're comparing Phelps medals in his own sport to entire other nations in his sport. That's what's freaking mindblowing.

I only got through half of this before I got bored but this is a great point

If speed walking earns you a seperate medal than running than the butterfly stroke deserves it's own races as well

I have learned to stop doubting Phelps.

Ya I doubt he ate 10,000 calories a day leading up to the 2008 Olympics. I'm less than 5 mins away from Benny's - the breakfast place he ate at daily - and I can tell you that one of their breakfasts is easily 1500+ calories. Phelps was eating 4+ dishes which means he started the day with 6,000 calories.

I'm sure he was north of 13-14,000 calories a day.

Back