Do you consider Phelps the GOAT Olympian?

Is Phelps the Olympic GOAT

• Total voters
I'd say no. Way too many medals for the sport. It would be like Bolt running the 100m sprint, backpedal, skip, and karoke.

Phelps is fantastic though. Longevity is a little over-rated with performance enhancing drugs.

I'd go wtih Karelin who could only win one medal at a time. 13 years undefeated, 6 years without being scored on. Lost when a 400 lbs greased up farm boy slipped out of his hands (rulon was awesome also) when he was passed his prime.

As for a one time olympic performace, I'd say 1992 team USA basketball or Yurik Vardanyan who would have won the gold in two heavier weight classes and gotten a bronze at heavy weight.

Like I said before this Olympics...the great headline of this Games will be Bolt vs. Phelps.

If Bolt can win a third gold medal in the 100m sprint when no other man in history could even do it twice in a row (not counting proven cheater Carl Lewis whose first gold was in a boycotted Olympics, not that the Soviets would have threatened him), then it will be tough to rule him out.

Phelps is just insane, though. After what he has done this Olympics...Bolt won't have to just win. He'll have to win like he did in 2008. He might just have to set a new WR.

I agree with most. Phelps is great and his number of medals are insane. But swimming is inflated with too many medals. Bolt is the rgeatest for me

Wait.....what? 5 Olympic games?

The Summer Olympics are held every four years. He's 31, that would mean he started his first Olympics when he was 11.

Maybe math isn't your best skill. He turned 15 before the 2000 Olympics.

There isn't a greater test of pure athletic ability, technique and endurance than swimming.

A majority of the population can barely swim 50m non-stop without drowning, never mind 100m.

Other sports might be harder in one category, I.E. - Long jump/Technique-Athletic, but swimming requires all three to even compete.

There isn't a greater test of pure athletic ability, technique and endurance than swimming.

A majority of the population can barely swim 50m non-stop without drowning, never mind 100m.

Other sports might be harder in one category, I.E. - Long jump/Technique-Athletic, but swimming requires all three to even compete.
But how many people swim? The more people that access a sport, the more competition you get. Swimming is upper class white sport in most cases. How many poor people swim?

Just gonna leave this here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_swimming_(men)

OLYMPIC HISTORY (1896- ): INDIVIDUAL GOLD MEDALS IN SWIMMING, MEN
  • 81 -- USA (not counting Phelps)
  • 30 -- Australia
  • 16 -- Hungary
  • 15 -- Japan
  • 13 -- Michael Phelps
  • 12 -- Soviet Union + Russia
  • 10 -- Great Britain
  • 9 -- Sweden
  • 6 -- Canada

He could make it 14 tonight if he wins the 100m Butterfly.

Phelps on russian swimmer Yulia Efimova: "I think people should be speaking out more. You know I think (Lily) is right. I think something needs to be done. It's kind of sad that today in sports in general, not just in swimming, there are people who are testing positive and are allowed back in the sport, and multiple times. I think it just breaks what sport is meant to be and that pisses me off."

Angry Michael Phelps backs Lily King's stance over 'drugs cheat' Yulia Efimova at Rio Olympics
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/09/angry-phelps-backs-kings-stance-over-efimova/

I consider Phelps the GOAT hypocrite.

no, lots of those medals are bullshit.

swimming should just be freestyle and nothing else. anything that is different type strokes is stupid and a huge advantage for swimmers to get more medals than other athletes. Imagine, Carl Lewis could have won medals running backwards, sideways etc etc??

Yes Phelps is the GOAT Olympian it's hard to argue against it with all his succes over the years and gold medals he has got over long period of time.

Wait.....what? 5 Olympic games?

The Summer Olympics are held every four years. He's 31, that would mean he started his first Olympics when he was 11.

He competed in the 2000 Olympics at he age of 15.

It's now 2016 and he's 31

Be he didn't medal in 2000.

They are not the only ones that have won medals in more than one style, Im just pointing out there was also another guy that did it with WR in multiple events so its noit uncommon that a guy that is good in one style can compete in more than one event.

But did the other guy win individual gold in 4 separate Olympics in the hardest event (Individual IM)?

i dont think it is even close if you are asking if he is the greatest Olympian. to win that many gold medals over a span of that many years is crazy. and why is track and field more the height of athleticism than swimming?

Because swimming is kind of, uh.. kind of gay.

I'd say no. Way too many medals for the sport. It would be like Bolt running the 100m sprint, backpedal, skip, and karoke.

Phelps is fantastic though. Longevity is a little over-rated with performance enhancing drugs.

I'd go wtih Karelin who could only win one medal at a time. 13 years undefeated, 6 years without being scored on. Lost when a 400 lbs greased up farm boy slipped out of his hands (rulon was awesome also) when he was passed his prime.

As for a one time olympic performace, I'd say 1992 team USA basketball or Yurik Vardanyan who would have won the gold in two heavier weight classes and gotten a bronze at heavy weight.

Usain Bolt would have to win Gold this year and in 2020 to be on Phelps level.

Karelin had his chance at 4 but like you pointed out he lost to Gardner. And I honestly believe Greco was weaker than Freestyle at HWT.

Buvaisar Saitiev had a shot at 4 golds two but was upset by Brandon Slay

Easily. Anyone saying no is just being a hater because they dont appreciate swimming.

[<cena1}He's the best. No one is even close. Probably in the mix for greatest athlete of all time.

melo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back