Do you consider Phelps the GOAT Olympian?

Is Phelps the Olympic GOAT

• Total voters

mommas homeboy

Women with dicks are women too!
Reaction score
If all Olympic sports are equal then he is. But to me, swimming is not the apex of human athleticism.

What do you guys think? Is he above the GOAT track-and-field guys, or gymnasts?

i dont think it is even close if you are asking if he is the greatest Olympian. to win that many gold medals over a span of that many years is crazy. and why is track and field more the height of athleticism than swimming?

How could he not be

If you don't consider swimming the height of human athleticism....if speed, or high-jump, long-jump, floor exercises, etc mean more to you.

I mean, it's obviously very subjective, but it's not so simple as most medals = greatest olympian. Of course he is in swimming.

Nope. Never had to compete against elite black athletes.

i dont think it is even close if you are asking if he is the greatest Olympian. to win that many gold medals over a span of that many years is crazy. and why is track and field more the height of athleticism than swimming?

No objective reason, it's all opinion. Thats why I asked. Track and Field, and gymnastics have more bad ass skill sets in my opinion.

He's definitely one of the goat olympians, but whether or not he is THE goat of all Olympians ever, is a matter of opinion.

Ahievements wise yes, but personally I dont really care about swimmimg compared to T&F so its like a second divison GOAT for me.

No objective reason, it's all opinion. Thats why I asked. Track and Field, and gymnastics have more bad ass skill sets in my opinion.

He's definitely one of the goat olympians, but whether or not he is THE goat of all Olympians ever, is a matter of opinion.
track and field doesnt really have a "skill set" though. running fast is running fast. i get there is technique, but overall, running is just running. doing something like the butterfly stroke would have a much more impressive skill set in my opinion.

maybe something like the long jump or javelin would be equal to or greater in terms of skill set.

either way he has dominated 5 olympic games. that is absurd.

Last edited:
Hard not to. But swimming is highly inflated with the number of events they can win medals in. I think Usain Bolt is highly comparable to his dominance.

Hard not to. But swimming is highly inflated with the number of events they can win medals in. I think Usain Bolt is highly comparable to his dominance.
Not even close, most of these guys practice 1 stroke, that's it, he's just that good

Not even close, most of these guys practice 1 stroke, that's it, he's just that good

Prior medal record holder Mark Spitz was also a swimmer and also won and broke records in different styles, its not that uncommon .

Track has a much bigger competitive pool (no pun intended) than swimming. Usain Bolt has to stave off the most blacksplosive people from around the world.

track and field doesnt really have a "skill set" though. running fast is running fast. i get their is technique, but overall, running is just running. doing something like the butterfly stroke would have a much more impressive skill set in my opinion.

maybe something like the long jump or javelin would be equal to or greater in terms of skill set.

The skillset is to be slower than frestyle .

Prior medal record holder Mark Spitz was also a swimmer and also won and broke records in different styles, its not that uncommon .
its not uncommon because one guy 30 years ago also won a lot of medals? of the top 10 all time medal winners, phelps is the only one who is a swimmer. gymnasts are much more likely to have big medal totals. although it is certainly easier to win medals in swimming than other sports. still dominating ANY sport the way he has is crazy

Since the question is the "greatest Olympian" he is absolutely the GOATest of any GOAT. Forget it if the question is greatest pure athlete. That is a different story. He is so dominant it's ridiculously hilarious. Jason Mamoa should relinquish the role of Aquaman to him. For real.

Track has a much bigger competitive pool (no pun intended) than swimming. Usain Bolt has to stave off the most blacksplosive people from around the world.
While what you say it true, about T+F, Phelps has hungry young dudes snipping at him heels constantly, as well, including Lochte one of the most talented and successful athletes of his generation. (Lochte wouldve won 16+ medals if not for Phelps) Young man's sport.

T+F is also is a young man sport but an also a similar limited yet talented pool for the events. Lewis is GOAT T+F, but Bolt could even pass him this year, despite the long jump.

its not uncommon because one guy 30 years ago also won a lot of medals?

They are not the only ones that have won medals in more than one style, Im just pointing out there was also another guy that did it with WR in multiple events so its noit uncommon that a guy that is good in one style can compete in more than one event.

track and field doesnt really have a "skill set" though. running fast is running fast. i get their is technique, but overall, running is just running. doing something like the butterfly stroke would have a much more impressive skill set in my opinion.

Wait.....what? 5 Olympic games?

The Summer Olympics are held every four years. He's 31, that would mean he started his first Olympics when he was 11.

Back