Do you consider Overeem an all time great heavyweight?

He is without a doubt an iconic heavyweight.

I rank him pretty high.

He's had great longevity but has been a gatekeeper more than anything else. He reminds me of Cerrone as both have tons of fights and wins and great resumes...but neither has fought more than once for the UFC title and both were finished in the 1st round when they tried. Maybe if he'd won the SF tournament it would be different. The only thing of note he did in SF was beat Werdum in a weird fight in which he (Overeem) was clearly roided to comic book levels. He quickly got busted for PEDs in the UFC and got KO'd three times before he reinvented himself as Econoreem. Since then he's done better than I expected, but always comes up short in the biggest, possible title contention fights (Ngannou, Blaydes, etc.). I give him an A+ for career longevity but zero support for GOAThood.

Definitely.

Overeem has 25 wins as a Heavyweight, fighting legit competition in Dream, Strikeforce, and the UFC.

Dream and SF "legit" competition is a stretch. Other than Werdum (a fight where Reem resembled Hulk on extra roids), he didn't beat anyone noteworthy. His fight vs. Cro-Cop in Dream was an NC and Mark Hunt was in the middle of a terrible losing streak at the time (Sean McCorkle submitted him in 1 minute just like Reem did)

An instant HOFer for sure, although there were fights that he probably should have won as those were crucial to his reputation as a fighter.

That Travis Browne and Bigfoof losses don't really sit right with me either.

Totally agree. I don’t know if it was poor fight IQ, poor game planning, mental lapses, overconfidence, or what, but he has a few losses that really should have been wins. Browne is the classic example. Reem beat the shit out of him but just showed no regard for the danger coming back at him and got stopped. That’s not the only time that happened either.

Definitely an all-time great HW though. Lots and lots of quality wins, and even in most of his losses he was competitive and performed well.

He's had one of the bigger careers in MMA for sure. Definitely one of the longest.

But he never held a belt in the UFC. He's beaten former champs, but never held the belt himself. Plus the steroids horse meat and...well...

Great fighter and a definite legendary career, but maybe not one of the best ever

Nah. Steroids.

Last edited:
Despite not being a UFC champion, there's no reason why he can't be considered one of the best.

Always thought of him as a roider, nothing more. Ubereem on the other hand was a sheer monster.

But hes been doing pretty good for himself for a while now. Do you think he's all time great heavyweight?

nah. He’s a win some lose some fighter. But I’ll always tune in. I still enjoy watching him fight. But he’s not an all timer.

He's had great longevity but has been a gatekeeper more than anything else. He reminds me of Cerrone as both have tons of fights and wins and great resumes...but neither has fought more than once for the UFC title and both were finished in the 1st round when they tried. Maybe if he'd won the SF tournament it would be different. The only thing of note he did in SF was beat Werdum in a weird fight in which he (Overeem) was clearly roided to comic book levels. He quickly got busted for PEDs in the UFC and got KO'd three times before he reinvented himself as Econoreem. Since then he's done better than I expected, but always comes up short in the biggest, possible title contention fights (Ngannou, Blaydes, etc.). I give him an A+ for career longevity but zero support for GOAThood.

He’s obviously not a GOAT contender. He may have been the best HW on the planet at certain moments but he certainly never proved it. What he has been is one of the best five or ten heavyweights on the planet for a decade. We can go through the record and say that Hunt, Werdum, JDS, Lesnar, Mir, Arlovski, Nelson, Harris, etc. weren’t the best (at least when he fought them) but that’s a who’s who of ranked contenders over that time period. Lots of guys have picked up a couple wins over that group, but only the very best guys have better wins. The losses are obviously what hold him back, because at their best we simply didn’t see guys like Fedor, Cain and Stipe losing to Ben Rothwell, and those kinds of losses also prevented him from fighting for the title when he was otherwise surging (when he demolished Lesnar he should’ve steamrolled straight to a title shot during the Cain/JDS era but he lost to fucking Big Foot instead). He’s nowhere near the GOAT discussion as a result, but he’s certainly in the top ten.

Last edited:
He’s fucken legendary.

the fact he hasn’t won ufc gold makes me want to cry but I honestly believe he has the skill set to win it just needs to fight smart and throw heavy

Dream and SF "legit" competition is a stretch. Other than Werdum (a fight where Reem resembled Hulk on extra roids), he didn't beat anyone noteworthy. His fight vs. Cro-Cop in Dream was an NC and Mark Hunt was in the middle of a terrible losing streak at the time (Sean McCorkle submitted him in 1 minute just like Reem did)

Paul Buentello was a 25-9 for UFC title challenger when Overeem fought him for the Strikeforce title. Mark Hunt is still Mark Hunt. Brett Rogers and Todd Duffee were considered big prospects when they fought Overeem.

Overeem fought the best competition that Dream and SF had to offer at the time, which is all you can do when you aren't in the UFC.

There were very high expectations for Reem at HW and he lost a lot of key fights he should've won. His best wins at HW are probably Lesnar and JDS for impact, as the Werdum fights were shit. Maybe the biggest positive is him keeping at it for a long time. Coming back to win after one of those bad losses. I don't know if that makes his HW run a success. Lots of letdowns.

Reactions: mkt
He's the greatest HW who's never been champ, of course he is.

An instant HOFer for sure, although there were fights that he probably should have won as those were crucial to his reputation as a fighter.

That Travis Browne and Bigfoof losses don't really sit right with me either.
Browne, Bigfoot, and Rothwell losses are the ones he could've avoided. Doesn't sit well with me either.

Always thought of him as a roider, nothing more. Ubereem on the other hand was a sheer monster.

But hes been doing pretty good for himself for a while now. Do you think he's all time great heavyweight?
200.gif

silly question

He got off the roids awhile ago before Bigfoot fight and is still doing well to this day. You can tell by the obvious physical changes when he stopped roiding and when he was.

honestly in k1 I think he was the hugest Damn I miss UBEReem

Top 10 alltime for sure closer to the bottom than top. Def alltime

Back