Do you consider Overeem an all time great heavyweight?

Yes. If he had a chin, he’d have easily gone down as the greatest heavyweight of all time.

No, hell no.. He was much better as a LHW.

Ubereem not only was a cheat but he was entirely overrated... who'd he beat? Duffee? Rogers? Bbuentello? Werdum clowned him all night in their 2nd fight--should have gotten the decision since Ubereem did NOTHING.

Ubereem's only notable achievement was beating Lesnar, a sick man coming off a loss who had his retirement speech already written.

There are some people already shitting of him because he has 18 loses. They forget that he has fought 66 times in MMA and won 47 times, which means a winning percentage of 71%. That's pretty good for MMA.

Always thought of him as a roider, nothing more. Ubereem on the other hand was a sheer monster.

But hes been doing pretty good for himself for a while now. Do you think he's all time great heavyweight?
Uh, yea. Depends what you mean by all time great. I consider Mir and Arlovski all time greats, but I wouldn't put them in the top 5.

All time MMA great, yes absolutely. UFC HoFer? No, he didn't accomplish much inside the octagon.

Absolutely! He's one of the best strikers and heavyweights of all time imo <Oku04>

Attachments

• bandicam 2020-10-23 21-49-23-758.jpg
    bandicam 2020-10-23 21-49-23-758.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1
He's kinda like the HW Henderson.

Insane quality of competition but he's lost a lot of those fights as well.

Yes pretty much which makes ranking him exactly a bit more difficult, he never really had a phase of his career were he was a dominant force for a prolonged period but he does also probably have more big wins than some guys(like Cain) who did plus of course results spread over multiple divisions.

In terms of how good he actually was I think part of the problem is he's always tended to shift sideways, LHW Reem was a great sub grappler, Ubereem was a great clinch and close in fighter, Econoreem is a great distance striker. If you merge all those together you'd have a GOAT level fighters(albeit with not great recovery/chin) but I don't think we've ever seen that in the cage/ring.

If the Pride era Reem had Stipe in that choke for example the fight would probably have been over but he might not have landed the punch to hurt him.

Last edited:
Definitely.

Overeem has 25 wins as a Heavyweight, fighting legit competition in Dream, Strikeforce, and the UFC.

Sure, he's gotten blasted a few times, but that's bound to happen fighting in the Heavyweight division.

About half of his HW wins have been against cans, and he has been finished 9 times at HW, that's way more than few. His record against top10 HW's is not great at all, and he should arguably be 0-3 against Werdum instead of 2-1.

In terms of the HW top 10 I think you have Fedor, Nog, Werdum, Stipe, JDS, Crocop clearly above Overeem plus IMHO Cain and Barnett although I could see more of a case for his being above them.

About half of his HW wins have been against cans, and he has been finished 9 times at HW, that's way more than few. His record against top10 HW's is not great at all, and he should arguably be 0-3 against Werdum instead of 2-1.

Werdum said about the second fight "he didn't win(overeem) I lost" it was a pretty uneventful fight but overeem got the nod where even Werdum didn't think he'd won.

3rd fight was similar but reem clearly edged it.. Not sure how you got 0-3

He's also beaten mir jds nelson hunt
Like it or not he has a bunch of top 10 wins.

He fights top guys more frequently than almost anybody in the sport
He's fought 7 of the current top 10 and 14 of the top 20 winning more than he lost

Yes. The wins and longevity have made him top 5 for me.

I would consider him an all-time great. His record is excellent, his longevity as a contender is amazing [he fought Chuck Liddell!], he has been in some of the best MMA fights ever, and he is the most intimidating looking fighter ever, especially before he had to pee in a cup in UFC! I still enjoy his fights to this day.

Last edited:
It took a while but he finally started to grow on me.

I do look at him overall as the horse meat eater though.

Nope. Not top 10.

He never held a major belt. His Strikeforce reign was a joke. Plus he's a cheater.

He’s an all time great Martial Artist, he’s been in the game over 20 years and been fighting at the elite level for a majority of that time. It doesn’t matter if he’s Overeem, Ubereem, Enduroreem, or OverDream, the facts are that he’s had an absolutely incredible career, he was able to adjust to the game after his physical prime to remain relevant. He’s had a career similar to Bisping’s yet a level above considering he’s a HW with few more titles and some kickboxing sprinkled in...

Back